Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I asked if I could use mine if wireless mode was turned off and they said no deal.
    pa1mOne Treo600
    Sprint PCS

Ro|A
    Austin, TX
    In radio-off mode, the Treo is acceptable (except during takeoff and landing) under all airline policies. Flight attendants can't be expected to make intelligent judgements about every device on the market, as each of them has a different way of showing that the radio is off. So if asked they will often play it safe. You know you're in compliance and they may not, so the best approach is simply not to ask, or to call attention to yourself.
    That is one attendant's interpretation of policy. Do not take it as global. Make them ask you, then show them the "wireless off" indication. If they press, put it away. Most will not. In any case, most SW flights are short.
    From Southwest Airline's website: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/electronics.html

Electronic Devices

• Portable devices that may be operated at all times inside the aircraft: hearing aids, pacemakers (and other implanted medical devices), electronic nerve stimulators, and electronic watches may be operated at any time.

• Portable devices that may never be operated inside the aircraft: hand-held scanners, two-way radios, remote controlled toys, wireless mouses or joysticks, watches capable of transmitting data, and other transmitters unless otherwise noted in these guidelines.

• Guidelines for permissible devices: any transmission using personal communications devices (including cell phones in GAME or AIRPLANE mode) is prohibited once the forward-entry door is closed. Flight Attendants will advise Customers when the doors are closed. All devices must be properly stowed while their operation is prohibited.

• While the forward-entry door is open, these devices may be turned on and operated: cellular/mobile phones, pagers/two-way pagers, AM/FM radio receivers, and television receivers.

• When indicated by Flight Attendant announcements, during the cruise phase of flight these devices may be operated: DVD, CD, and tape players, personal digital assistants (PDAs or hand-held computers), electronic calculators, hand held electronic games, electronic cameras, Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) receivers, and devices that compose e-mail or text messages without transmitting or receiving.

• Following the Flight Attendant announcement after landing, these devices may be turned on and operated: cellular/mobile phones and pagers/two-way pagers.

------

I take the above to mean that any cellular phone capable device cannot be used at any time in any mode of operation once the doors of the airplane have been shut.

That appears to be their policy. So if you require usage of a PDA with the capabilities of the Treo while flying, don't fly Southwest Airlines.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangible
    the best approach is simply not to ask, or to call attention to yourself.
    Agreed. Responses can be so varied just like calling a Sprint Customer Service Rep. I would use caution during take off and landing to not use it at all and use it wirelessly otherwise during flight.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    any transmission using personal communications devices (including cell phones in GAME or AIRPLANE mode) is prohibited once the forward-entry door is closed
    I've seen this statement on SW's web site before too. But the wording is EXTREMELY poor. This wording (to me) sounds like they're banning the transmissions. But we all know that when our Treos have wireless off that we're not making any transmissions.

That being said, I've used my Treo discretely on SW flights and have yet to have a problem. My next flight is next Saturday. We'll see how that goes...
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    What I've done to be discreet:

1) hold it in my left hand with thumb and forefinger holding the antenna

2) hold the stylus out for everyone to see.

That way it looks more like just a regular palm.

Haven't been bugged yet.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    what i do use like i would normally and if anyone asks me to turn it off i just show them the wirless mode is off and they are fine about
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Maybe we should e-mail southwest and request clarification.
    The PDA cannot ever really be turned off on the Treo can it?
    So are they really avoiding any possible transmission by making us put them away?

I'd be interested if there's any difference at all in transmissions from the Treo when being used or not when the radio is off.
    i was just on a plane last weekend and i didnt even get service in the air so good luck to you. i also don't keep my seat in the upright position on takeoffs and landings.
    I've had SW attendants tell me to turn it entirely off on every SW flight (at least 3 so far). I've explained and they looked at me like deers in the headlights. Reminds me of the Sprint techs at the Sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    i was just on a plane last weekend and i didnt even get service in the air so good luck to you. i also don't keep my seat in the upright position on takeoffs and landings.
    Perhaps you do not understand the rationale behind the rule. You are asked to put your seat up in order to maximize the distance between your seat and the head of the victim in the seat behind you and to maximize their ability to exit their row.

The airlines are in a bind. If they do not explain the rationale behind the rule, a small number will break it, usually without consequence. If they do explain it, a large number will be frightened, usually without necessity.

Of course in the case of cell phones, including the Treo, in the absence of anything except anecdotal evidence, they err on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Perhaps you do not understand the rationale behind the rule. You are asked to put your seat up in order to maximize the distance between your seat and the head of the victim in the seat behind you and to maximize their ability to exit their row.

The airlines are in a bind. If they do not explain the rationale behind the rule, a small number will break it, usually without consequence. If they do explain it, a large number will be frightened, usually without necessity.

Of course in the case of cell phones, including the Treo, in the absence of anything except anecdotal evidence, they err on the safe side.
    for christmas i shall get you a sarcasm detector.
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend
    for christmas i shall get you a sarcasm detector.
    Thank you.
    and has a cellphone or electronic device EVER caused a problem on an airplane before?
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    and has a cellphone or electronic device EVER caused a problem on an airplane before?

would u consider a sidewinder an electronic device?

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    To the best of my knowledge, no; would God the problem were that simple.

Every pilot knows a pilot who knows a pilot who has lit off all kinds of electronics in the cockpit and has been unable to produce a flicker on any instrument. I have done it my very own self. It is often much easier to file a flight plan by cell phone than by VHF. Keep in mind that personal electronics are battery operated, i.e., low power, and avionics are hardened against interference.

However, every pilot knows a pilot who knows a pilot who reports some anomaly that he blames on electronics in the cabin. No one can prove that no such incident ever occurred. What is more, every Internet thread on the subject has at least one participant who knows of a study that concludes that it is very dangerous. (All such studies that I have seen have concluded that they cannot conclude but that it is intuitively obvious and, therefore, "more study is needed.")

We live in a society in which the media demands zero risk. In such a society, the inability to prove a negative is troubling, particularly if, as in this case, the positive coincides with the fears of a significant minority. In a world in which air travel is the safest form of travel in history and automobile travel far and away the most dangerous, it seems strange there are still those who fear the former while preferring the latter. Go figure.

I have spent my entire career in risk management. If I have learned anything in my seventy years, it is that it is a space in which intuition serves us very poorly. It serves us particularly poorly as an instrument for making public policy. However, I have finally concluded that if policy can accomodate fears at the cost of only inconvience, WTF.

In the final analysis this issue is not about what we know or even can know. It is about "Things that go bump in the night."
    I just got done flying four flights on Southwest this week and on every one of them I was "caught" using my Treo 600 (I sit in aisle seats).

On the first flight the flight attendant came up to me and politely told me that I am not allowed to use my device even if/when the phone is in the off mode. I was not happy and she suggested I look it up in the Southwest magazine. I did and she's right (I don't have the exact wording I saw but it's clear they don't want us using our converged devices).

I'm not an engineer nor am I a computer geek but in my opinion this electronic device stuff on airplanes is a lot of nonsense. I understand they don't want cell phones on or used (and how many cell phones do you think are left on by mistake or even on purpose on every flight?). I understand they don't want two-way radios, etc., used on flights.

(Look, airplanes are manufactured to extremely high standards - 6 Sigma is typical. Let's face it, if airplanes had any safety issues with electronic devices people carry there would have been incidents/crashes and/or all electronic devices would have been completely banned. There is NO problem carrying and using most devices on airplanes. They're being overly cautious and paranoid probably worrying about the possibility of some nutjob bringing some exotic electronic device on the plane causing a real problem. I'm glad they're being cautious but let's be a bit realistic here - these devices are NOT a problem!)

But I don't understand how they see these converged devices as any kind of problem whatsoever when the phone portion is off. I have to believe that laptops with built-in (or separate) wireless cards and other devices should be more of an issue than our Treos with the phone off.

I don't understand who makes the rules. I'm guessing that the FAA has a basic set of standard rules and the airlines go above and beyond those with their own add-ons.

I have flown United lately and there's no problem with using my Treo on their airline so I'm going to be flying United and others until/if Southwest becomes more electronic device-friendly.

One of the flight attendants gave me this address (of course it's snail mail - they don't want to give out e-mail addresses to avoid being inundated with e-mail):

Southwest Airlines Co.
    PO Box 36611
    Dallas, TX 75235-1611

I will send a letter to them and I ask you to do the same. In the meantime, don't fly Southwest until they recognize the value of their gadgetized customers!

PS: What exactly is Southwest's problem? I know they're doing most things right and making money (hard for most to do in that industry). But just how hard would it be for them to allow us to get assigned seats when we get our boarding passes online or at their kiosks? Computers do neat things nowadays including reserving seats. I've never appreciated Southwest's willingness to treat their passengers like herds of cattle when we wait to board and do the seat free-for-all.

<rant off>
    -MagicMtnDan
    SoCal

I think Toby on The West Wing had a great quote. If I recall correctly, it went something like this:

"Are you trying to tell me that, I can sabotage a multi-billion dollar industry with a 10 dollar device I bought at Radio Shack?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast