Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Another thread from back in May popped up again on the same issue - I read the whole thing and overall it sounds like things are looking up. The few ***** airline people out there are really unfortunate, and I don't see it getting beyond the Russian Roulette stage for many years. I've been a government employee for almost 20 years, and know how slowly those wheels of progress turn.
    ---------------
    http://www.rezonate.com/walkabout/whatsonmytreo600.html
    Last edited by ebeale; 09/12/2004 at 06:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I just got back from a two week business trip. Was told to turn off my Treo600 by 4 Southwest and 2 Americawest airline flight attendants (once per flight). One even said I know that there is a wireless off setting on those, but you can't have it on at all during the flight.

Silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenIntro
    and has a cellphone or electronic device EVER caused a problem on an airplane before?
    It's kind of like at the gas station they tell you not to use cellular phones while pumping gas. Anyone seen the show MythBusters? They actually tried this with an enclosed chamber of gasoline vapors and a cellphone. These are special effects experts with ideal conditions and they couldn't even get a spark, let alone an explosion. Yet you never see signs at the gas station that say, "Don't get in and out of your car while pumping. This will cause static electricity and may cause gasoline to ignite." This of course IS possible and DOES happen. Who makes these rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    From Southwest Airline's website: http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/electronics.html

Electronic Devices

• Portable devices that may be operated at all times inside the aircraft: hearing aids, pacemakers (and other implanted medical devices), electronic nerve stimulators, and electronic watches may be operated at any time.
    May? be operated at all times? Sounds like they're doing you a favor by allowing your heart to beat on one of their flights.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    What a crock!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Maybe we should e-mail southwest and request clarification.
    SWA doesn't accept email queries, you have to snail mail them. I did so after reading this thread and received a response today. Note that this is a tentative response and that it is being pushed further up the chain for clarification.

Some parts are deleted... (and any typos are my own)

It's clear from your correspondence that you are aware that the use of most portable electronic devices during flight is restricted. However, some handheld Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) can be used during flight. The rule of thumb in determining whether or not a PDA can be used while inflight is if the wireless capabilities of the PDA can be shut off without transmitting a signal. If the device transmits a signal (even for a moment) when you turn it on (before you have an opportunity to shut off the wireless capabilities), the device may not be used inflight. I'm afraid I can't provide an answer regarding whether the PalmOne Treo 600 is approved for inflight use (since I'm not familiar with this brand). However, I can tell you that, as long as the wireless functions of your PDA can be shut off and the device can be operated without transmitting any signal, it is permissible to use the electronic functions during your flights (after our Flight Attendants have indicated that it is okay to do so).

Truthfully, it's not surprising that our Flight Attendants are questioning the use of the PDA since this technology is still fairly new and this particular issue involves safety concerns and federal aviation regulations. I'm sure you realize that it is our Flight Attendants' responsibility to make sure that we comply with all federal regulations. In that regard, if there is a question about an electronic device or cellular telephone, our Flight Attendants really must err on the side of caution. However, please be assured that a copy of your letter has been forwarded to our Vice President of Inflight for her review.

The letter was sent to me by a supervisor of Customer Relations and it was copied to the VP (or at least it is indicated such on my copy).

I'll update this if I get a copy from the VP. But in the meantime, don't you think it would make sense for all the smartphone manufacturers to send a copy of their units along with explantions to all the major airlines? It seems like so much of this could be avoided if we had a little industry to industry cooperation.

T
    when i was a consultant before, my laptop had a built-in wireless card. most of the time i forgot to turn off the wireless. i wonder if i had done some damage to the flights or not :P
    I was hassled by a flight attendant on SWA this past weekend....he comes up to me and says in a disturbed voice, "What is that?" I said....IT'S A PDA! And he just walked off....lol....

Now, we know we CAN use the Treo on flights, but another question I have is....since the Treo CAN'T ever be turned off (beside the battery running out), why can't we use it when taking off or landing? I truly hate when they tell you to "stow all portable electronics" with about 15-20 minutes left in the flight. As if I only want to stare out the window for the next 15 minutes....There is no difference between the Treo being on and in my pocket vs. being on and in my hand.

Aside from sitting in a window seat and hiding it from the flight attendants when they walk by, how can we solve this?!
  9. afr
    I fly America West frequently. They have a policy similar to Southwest. It bans devices that can cause radio transmissions, even though they are turned off. Actually, their policy is so vague that I sent their head of customer relations an e-mail from the plane (after the plane landed, of course) point out that real airlines let passengers use laptops, DVD players, Game Boys, etc. So what is it about Treos in "wireless off" mode that they don't like? Personally, I think most of their policies reflect that banning everything is easier than thinking.

However...prices on AW are cheaper than SW are cheaper than AA, so I'll continue to fly them.
    Quote from SW "If the device transmits a signal (even for a moment) when you turn it on (before you have an opportunity to shut off the wireless capabilities), the device may not be used inflight."

Are all of the Centrino equiped laptops capable of wireless connection to be banned also? It sounds like they should be.

Also has anyone been successful in arguing that if the SIM card is removed, the phone portion is Inert?
    Quote Originally Posted by RTip10
    Quote from SW "If the device transmits a signal (even for a moment) when you turn it on (before you have an opportunity to shut off the wireless capabilities), the device may not be used inflight."

Are all of the Centrino equiped laptops capable of wireless connection to be banned also? It sounds like they should be.

Also has anyone been successful in arguing that if the SIM card is removed, the phone portion is Inert?
    Why not just turn wireless off before you board the plane? The whole argument that SWA is making is that wireless mode can't be on at any time during the flight. Fine. It wouldn't be. Using a Treo with wireless mode off is just like using any other PDA. Unfortunately, the policy makers aren't familiar enough with the technology to know what they are talking about when it comes to PDA/Phone combination devices. Especially one as sophisticated as a Treo.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I'm an American Airlines Platinum Elite Member and have flown 68 trips this year, on only one left (Los Angeles to Austin) was I told to not use the Treo. That was a few months ago, otherwise I haven't had problems. I fly Southwest on occassion, maybe 8 times per year and haven't yet been told not to use my Treo, but last time I flew was in April. Granted, it looks like Southwest is enforcing it heavily now, so I guess I'll book my trip to Tampa next week on AA. I was about to book on SWA because they have a non-stop, but I'd rather stop in Dallas and be able to use my Treo then to not.

I think it's ridiculous. I like Southwest for their rapid rewards but I hate the airline, I hate the free-for-all boarading mentality, and I hate that they don't have an elite program that treats frequent fliers better. Also, they don't serve all cities. I guess I'll stay with AA, who has actually been cheaper then SWA the past few months. Is it me or is SWA more expensive then usual?

I encourage everyone to write to their respective airlines, it'd be foolish for any airline to lose business over something as trivial as this. The industries are hurting so much, they're fools for letting people walk away because of this. SWA just lost at least 3 R/T ticket sales for this year from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RTip10

A lot of laptops, Centrino included have an actual switch on their case to turn off power to the internal radio. Some have a software key (like FN + F5). The software keys require the system to be turned on to operate, thus they should be banned per the statement. The laptops with a hardware switch are ok.

If the SIM card is removed it means there is no user/unique data to be sent to the carrier, but it by no means gurantees the phone/radio won't transmit something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    Why not just turn wireless off before you board the plane?
    Actually, the policy of most airlines is that wireless CAN be used (including actively making a call) up until the doors are closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas T
    Actually, the policy of most airlines is that wireless CAN be used (including actively making a call) up until the doors are closed.
    some exceptions for Singapore airline. I might be in bad luck or whatnot. i traveled SQ from SFO to HKG in last Dec on first class. I was ready to have some wine and tried to make a phone call, then I was stopped by the flight attendent and saying no call is allowed in the airplane.
    so i had to step out and talk on the bridge.. it was COLD
    International carriers sometimes operate under the rules of their home country/corporate offices. I was recently on Lufthansa and they forbid cellular phone use once onboard the aircraft( even if still at the gate), citing German/EC rules and regs.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    when i was a consultant before, my laptop had a built-in wireless card. most of the time i forgot to turn off the wireless. i wonder if i had done some damage to the flights or not :P
    If so, must not have been too serious. I once flew from San Diego to Dallas-Fortworth with my analog cell phone on. Note that analog phones accomplish with a strong signal what digital cell phones do with intelligent signal processing.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    some exceptions for Singapore airline. I might be in bad luck or whatnot. i traveled SQ from SFO to HKG in last Dec on first class. I was ready to have some wine and tried to make a phone call, then I was stopped by the flight attendent and saying no call is allowed in the airplane.
    so i had to step out and talk on the bridge.. it was COLD
    Hey, you could have flown coach with the rest of us peons and you would have still been in the gate area within the warm terminal and you could have made as many calls as you wanted. But nooooo.... you had to have your glass of wine too.
    this thread is so retarded.

Bottom line: Cell phones and wi-fi cannot and have not affected airplane operations.
    Numerous studies have shown this.

Airlines are inept in dealing with this issue, so they just ban everything. That is the easiest way for them, hardest for customers.

So just be discreet and use it.
    Be polite to air crews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas T
    Hey, you could have flown coach with the rest of us peons and you would have still been in the gate area within the warm terminal and you could have made as many calls as you wanted. But nooooo.... you had to have your glass of wine too.
    hehe.. since i am not working as a consultant anymore, my air mileage is getting less so I can't keep flying first class on my air mileages anymore. will be joining u in the coach soon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123