Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Jeb
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    What I've done to be discreet:

1) hold it in my left hand with thumb and forefinger holding the antenna

2) hold the stylus out for everyone to see.

That way it looks more like just a regular palm.

Haven't been bugged yet.
    I have done the exact same thing and have had no issues on Southwest.
    It's all irrelevant nothing your treo is going to do once you are in the air is going to hurt the plain or communications. Just like it's not going to stop the persons pace maker sitting next to you.
    just yesterday i had the same problem with a southwest flight attendant. she was more worried about... me playing checkers on my treo with the wireless mode off.... than the guy in front of me (a cheapskate who didnt pay for seats for his 3 and 2 year olds so they were lap riders). the two kids screamed the entire flight and tried to run all over the cabin (even during the landing)
    Just put a game on when they come up and they realize its a PDA and not a phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Just put a game on when they come up and they realize its a PDA and not a phone!

Just make sure you only use that ploy on Southwest and not Delta. Delta seems to feel it's ok to have games on a cellphone at any point, but you're not allowed to use a palm pilot. <eye roll> I give up. When I'm questioned, I ask what I'm allowed to be using, cell phone or pda, then whichever I'm allowed to use, I tell them that's what my Treo is. And I'm not lying.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    On my first flight, the flight attendant did not ask me to shut if off. she told me she own one as well and ask if I liked treo.

But on the return flight, the attendant ask me to put it away. she was pretty nice and explained that they had not reviewed devices like this, so they could not allow it. Since she was nice, so I did not want to make trouble for her.

So be aware.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    Just make sure you only use that ploy on Southwest and not Delta. Delta seems to feel it's ok to have games on a cellphone at any point, but you're not allowed to use a palm pilot. <eye roll> I give up. When I'm questioned, I ask what I'm allowed to be using, cell phone or pda, then whichever I'm allowed to use, I tell them that's what my Treo is. And I'm not lying.
    I flew Delta about a week and a half ago, NYC to Seattle. About half way through, I went back to the stewardesses, and asked if I could use my Palm, and explained that I had wireless mode turned off. They said sure thing.

Guess it depends on who you get. The head stewardess was using a HP handheld while I was asking, so I guess she wasn't totally clueless.
    Just to add to the stats..

Back in April I flew Southwest out of New Hampshire heading to Orlando, and both going down and coming up, they would NOT let me use PocketTunes on my Treo. In fact, on the way down, the FA was very insistent that I turn the device "off".

When I showed her that it was actually impossible to turn the device off, and demonstrated that the power switch only toggles between wireless mode on/off, she took it and said she had to show it to the captain (who was *flying the plane*, you'd think he'd have better things to do..).

Anyway, she returned with it about fifteen minutes later and said, "The captain wants you to put this away in your bag, and leave it there. He apologizes for the inconvenience. He also said he'd buy you a drink when we land."

They were very nice about it, but utterly clueless. The fact that it wouldn't turn off seemed to really bother them, too. On the way up, they knew what it was but still didn't want me using it.

Whatever. Not worth making a scene. Next time I'll just use something that's a dedicated MP3 player.

When I had flown United a month earlier on business, they had no issue with my using the Treo.

\marc
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert00
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Airlines
    any transmission using personal communications devices (including cell phones in GAME or AIRPLANE mode) is prohibited once the forward-entry door is closed
    I've seen this statement on SW's web site before too. But the wording is EXTREMELY poor. This wording (to me) sounds like they're banning the transmissions. But we all know that when our Treos have wireless off that we're not making any transmissions.

That being said, I've used my Treo discretely on SW flights and have yet to have a problem.
    I agree 100%, the wording is awful. The intent is to ban transmissions, the effect is banning consumer electronics with "wireless off" mode.

I flew Southwest twice in the last couple days and didn't have any problem using my Treo in plain sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    No, that doesn't work. They see the antenna and they tell you you can't use that device. It's like they've all been "warned" about the phone/palm devices.

There's just no reason not to be able to use these devices on airplanes. But that won't stop the ignorant and/or uninformed. Eventually I think we'll see them lightening up but it doesn't help me/us now.
    -MagicMtnDan
    SoCal

This is why I'm glad I've kept my Visor around. I just load all the games that work on that thing and when I'm on a flight I can just play on it.
    Not exactly a perfect solution but it keeps them from getting on me.
    There used to be a hack that let you flip the screen image 90 180 or 270 degrees. This would make it easier to hide the antenna while seated in an airplane. Does anyone know if this app exists for OS5?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    too bad nobody has written a hack that changes the wording of "wireles mode off" to "AIRPLANE MODE". maybe this would satisfy the evil non-believers.
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    too bad nobody has written a hack that changes the wording of "wireles mode off" to "AIRPLANE MODE". maybe this would satisfy the evil non-believers.
    GSM users: check out SimNotify. It allows you to save settings based on your SIM card, or lack thereof. It comes with an image that says "flight mode" you can set to your phone wallpaper that gets set automatically whenever your wireless is turned off! Then when you turn your wireless back on, the phone screen goes to whatever you want it to (your own wallpaper, the dial pad...).

I don't think this will for for CDMA (Sprint, Verizon) phones. Sorry.

I just recently dl'd this, so I haven't had the chance to try it out on a flight attendant yet...
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    any ideas for cdma?
    Disclaimer: I'm an engineer, computer geek, and pilot. I'm gold medallion on Delta and I ALWAYS put my seat up for takeoff and landing.
    --------------------------------
    The main thing about wireless transmissions is the *interaction* between various antennas. That's why when you see a police car go by with umpteen antennas, they are in various geometries. Or why when your HAM operating neighbor fires up his rig, it affects some neighbors differently than others. You know how close proximity to the microwave only gives your wireless phone static when the microwave is on? Same thing for a plane. Your cell phone will give the plane static only when it's on, and on the plane.

Inside a metal tube is a *really* bad place to stick a transmitting antenna - the signal bounces around and gets reflected to the end, and we all know what's up in one end of the tube. There are all kinds of wires going back and forth through the tube of an airplane, and if 2 or 3 phones are in the right alignment and proximity to the wires, they can set up an impedence, random signal, or worse in those wires. Same thing for wireless cards. Or wireless cards interacting with phones. That random signal will tweak a flight control computer, trust me.

Getting all the radio frequency bugs worked out is not an exact science, because propagation changes with humidity, sunspot activity, proximity ("R-squared rule"), type of insulation, other wire properties, the list goes on. There is no way an airline can "beta-test" the combination of every PDA, cell phone, laptop, CD player, or 2-way radio - in every possible seat combination. So they err on the side of safety and ban everything when it's most critical, which is takeoff and landing.

I'm annoyed by red lights too. Then I remember that red lights make it more possible to get around without getting killed. I'm really thankful for the modern airline, and look at their requirements as I look at red lights, just a necessary precaution that enables something greater.

Delta hasn't asked me about my Treo yet. I just keep it discrete and double verify the wireless mode off. Then I hope everyone else is doing the same... Help me out here people!
    -------------------
    <blockquote>Previous poster wrote:

"I'm not an engineer nor am I a computer geek but in my opinion this electronic device stuff on airplanes is a lot of nonsense. I understand they don't want cell phones on or used (and how many cell phones do you think are left on by mistake or even on purpose on every flight?). I understand they don't want two-way radios, etc., used on flights."</blockquote>
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    dont get me wrong here. im all for turning off the radio on the aircraft.
    im asking for something to change the "wireless mode off" indicator to "airplane mode" to reassure those folks who are less treo-djukated understand that my device poses no harm to in flight operations
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    I flew Delta about a week and a half ago, NYC to Seattle. About half way through, I went back to the stewardesses, and asked if I could use my Palm, and explained that I had wireless mode turned off. They said sure thing.

Guess it depends on who you get. The head stewardess was using a HP handheld while I was asking, so I guess she wasn't totally clueless.
    Exactly.

I do not know about other airlines but The following is a direct quote from the Delta Airlines Flight Attendant Manual. It follows a table that lists electronic devices and if or when they can be used...

Exception: Some personal assistive devices (PDAs) and cell phones have the capability for the user to turn off the communications function. If the transmitting capabability is turned off on these PDAs and cell phones, they may be used during flight for playing games, etc.
    Now be advised that this is only a bargaining chip. Just before the chart it says...

Delta's policy regarding the use of electronic devices is outlined below. This information is also available in "Sky" magazine. Crewmembers may ask passengers operating an electronic device to turn it off at any time.
    So you could have a note from God himself and a crew member can tell you to turn your Treo off for no other reason then he or she doesn't like the tone of your voice. So be nice.
    We fly every weekend and we never have a issue, we listen to mps, play game etc...
    You can add me to the list of Southwest fliers who may be changing airlines because of this problem. On September 1, I took a flight from San Diego to Detroit to visit with a client, and placed several documents on my Treo 600 to review for the meeting. On the San Diego to Chicago leg, I had no problem (and was using it on the aisle seat with no attempt to hide either my use or the antenna). On the Chicago to Detroit leg, a flight attendant told me I couldn't use it, even in PDA form with the wireless mode off, and pointed to that infamous Spirit magazine paragraph as the supposed proof. When I told him I'd had no problem on the first leg of the trip, he made a comment about the other flight attendants either not enforcing the rule or not noticing my use (the latter impossible given it was on and being used the entire flight except takeoff and landing, my even balancing it in full view turned on as I accepted food and drink from the flight attendant).

Sigh .. this isn't trivial. I can't afford to waste several hours on a flight because of some misinformed flight attendant or airline, and I neither want to engage in any secretiveness about my use nor have to play Russian roulette hoping I get an understanding attendant.

I wrote to Southwest: in the meantime, I'm booking my flights elsewhere. My work time is more valuable than the savings I get using them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast