1.    #1  
    Left work yesterday to join some friends a a local bar to start our fantasy football live draft. Well I pull up to the bar and reach over to grab my pick list....... OH NO I LEFT IT AT WORK!!!!!!!

With minutes to spare before the start of the draft and only 1 minute per pick provided, my trusty Treo was put to good use. I was able to make off with a pretty solid team by the time the night was over. All of this, thanks to my treo!!!

Now, the only thing that bugged me, was the bar was equipped with WiFi. While I was waiting patiently for my pages to load (GSM) others were enjoying the free WiFi on laptops and other PDA's making last second changes to thier draft choices.

So yes, I love my Treo and love what I can do with it. Yet, I cannot believe that after all this time they still haven't figured out a way to support Wifi. Frustrating.

Just thought I'd share a quick success story!
    The reality of product development is that you can't include everything if you want to release a product in a reasonable amount of time. Suck it up already, you have an incredible device in your possession.
    Nice! Our draft is on Saturday. We have 3 teams in ME, 2 in NH, 1 in PA, 1 IN CA, and 1 in VA. I will be drafting using my Treo. We will see how it goes.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by andy.e
    The reality of product development is that you can't include everything if you want to release a product in a reasonable amount of time. Suck it up already, you have an incredible device in your possession.
    The reality is that product development has probably been working on the Treo for quite a long time considering pre and post release. The one thing that is "screamed" about on most of these boards is lack of wifi/bluetooth. I just don't get what product development has been working with regards to the treo since it's release.

It's a great product, but my purchase was certainly made on it's expansion capabilities, which at this point have fallen short due to the SDIO issue.

The Treo is def the best combo device out there right now IMHO, but sometimes I still feel as though I settled somewhat.
    Wifi would be an awesome addition to any handheld device, but I think it just consumes too much power to be a practacle network solution. I think we are just going to have to wait for better batteries or other power alternatives.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    The reality of this specific product is that the manual says it's capable of wi-fi via 3rd parties (provided their is interest and such on the 3rd parties part). It's been almost a year since release (and probably 1.5 since the design was finalized) and many 3rd party companies have said they'd love to support wi-fi, but that Palm isn't doing their part. Either one side or the other is lying, and I have no way to know which. I'm leaning towards Palm not releasing adequate APIs for people to build drivers to make wi-fi work. If that's the case, then they should at least make available things mentioned in the manual. They can do wi-fi for other devices, then they can do it for the Treo.

If the cellphone companies don't want them to do it, fine, but at least just tell us that. There should be some kind of public explanation. I'd like to get all parties in the same room so that they can't play the blame game off eachother.

As for better batteries, I hate to bring up a tired wi-fi thread again, but this person's case is proof positive why battery power is irrelevant. He only needed a quick burst of speed. The speed was critical to his task, not the battery power. Well that's assuming a short draft.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    The reality of this specific product is that the manual says it's capable of wi-fi via 3rd parties (provided their is interest and such on the 3rd parties part). It's been almost a year since release (and probably 1.5 since the design was finalized) and many 3rd party companies have said they'd love to support wi-fi, but that Palm isn't doing their part. Either one side or the other is lying, and I have no way to know which. I'm leaning towards Palm not releasing adequate APIs for people to build drivers to make wi-fi work. If that's the case, then they should at least make available things mentioned in the manual. They can do wi-fi for other devices, then they can do it for the Treo.

If the cellphone companies don't want them to do it, fine, but at least just tell us that. There should be some kind of public explanation. I'd like to get all parties in the same room so that they can't play the blame game off eachother.

As for better batteries, I hate to bring up a tired wi-fi thread again, but this person's case is proof positive why battery power is irrelevant. He only needed a quick burst of speed. The speed was critical to his task, not the battery power. Well that's assuming a short draft.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!! Cheers friend!
    If you were using a CDMA connection instead of GSM you wouldn't have been waiting as long. I get ISDN like speeds when I plug my laptop up to my treo using Wireless modem. Pretty sweet.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorka
    If you were using a CDMA connection instead of GSM you wouldn't have been waiting as long. I get ISDN like speeds when I plug my laptop up to my treo using Wireless modem. Pretty sweet.
    Agreed. In fact, one of the guys there has a CDMA Treo. Not sure if he was using it at the time, but it would have been nice to have that extra speed.

ONLY reason why I went GSM is I was stuck in a contract and I absolutely had to have my Treo. Wish I would have made the move, because I'm am disgusted with Cingular in just about every shape and form. Customer Service, Billing has been horrible, and signal strength is a joke. I can be sitting in a room with 10 people, all of them will have full strength signal and I might get one bar.
    not all of us lie down and accept that what was initially offered to t600 users as a potential usability of wifi on it, will probably never come to light. if you sucked it up and accepted it, so be it. don't tell others to.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    As for better batteries, I hate to bring up a tired wi-fi thread again, but this person's case is proof positive why battery power is irrelevant. ...
    How can you say that battery power is irrelevant? Imagine what our responces to Palm would be if they actually added wifi to our Treo's and stipulated that it was only intended for use in short spurts. They would be a laughing stock! If we had wifi, we would all be using it, and alot.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    not all of us lie down and accept that what was initially offered to t600 users as a potential usability of wifi on it, will probably never come to light. if you sucked it up and accepted it, so be it. don't tell others to.
    Well, the Treo saved his *** in this situation (by his own account) so complaining that it didn't save his *** in just the way he liked is pretty lame. It's like someone just pushed you out of the way of a bus and you complain that it hurt when they pushed you.