1.    #1  
    I know we don't really need another thread related to the unannounced new Treo, but the other thread has gotten so full of off-topic postings, etc.; I thought I'd at least throw out a couple of things on my mind about the possible new Treo just to see if anyone has any comments.

1) Form factor - from reading postings, it sounds like the new Treo will be more rounded in form. I wonder what this will do to the size? The big attraction to me now for the 600 is it's small size; I sure would hate for it to be any larger. Also, I wonder what the purpose of this "rounding" is - is it to make the keyboard easier to use? Will the screen still be flat?

2) Screen - my main complaint of the 600 is it's screen. After having used a PPC I really miss the higher resolution. From reading various postings again, the new Treo will be 320x320 16 bit 65,000 TFT. Most PPC devices now are 240x320 16 bit 65,000 TFT. So the new Treo will actually have a better screen than most pocket PC's. Am I reading this correctly? Also, with the actual screen size being smaller, wouldn't this make the screen very sharp? I am very excited about this as this is my main complaint against the 600.

3) Bluetooth - I know nothing about bluetooth. Would this allow me to have a wireless headphone set to listen to mp3 files with? I'm not interested in actually using a wireless headphone for talking on the phone. But it sure would be nice to listen to music this way. I've looked for headphones for listening to music by Bluetooth and have found none.

4) Possible upgrade - I know Handspring had a special limited time upgrade offer to the 600 from 300 owners. Does anyone have any feelings as to if Palm1 will do the same thing for 600 users going to the new Treo? I don't remember what the details of the old upgrade were. Does anyone remember? Did you have to return your 300 to Handspring? I guess the alternative would be to just sell the 600 on eBay, but I would imagine when introduced all of a sudden there will be a ton of 600's available and the price would plummet.

Just some thoughts this morning for possible discussion.
    Howdy neighbor!

I give this thread 4 posts before it devolves into a cesspool of derision where conspiracy theorists, naysayers, general whiners and guys whose moms still wipe their bottoms attack us for enjoying a little wishful thinking. I'm not calling anyone names unless they show up on this thread exhibiting any of the above behavior - at that point consider yourself called out.

Now that that's out of the way, here's my speculations and observations related to your questions:
    1) Don't know why they're rounding it, but I speculate it's to make it more "phone-like" and less "pda-like" - a continual evolution.

2) Yep - a 320x320 screen that size SHOULD be pretty darn sharp.

3) I haven't heard of a bluetooth stereo headset - yet. But Ericsson has announced some work in this area - and it's logical to think that it's an ideal application for devices like the treo - and some other phones - which are combining bluetooth and ability to play mp3's.

4) I did the upgrade from a 270 to the 600 - you provided a serial number and you got your discount - more like a "loyalty discount" - you kept your old phone, and I sold mine on ebay.

Also a Wolfpack Fan,
    Paul
  3.    #3  
    Paul - Howdy neighbor (I live just down the road between Apex and Cary). I sure hope P1 gives a discount this way. I will be one of the first to upgrade, if they do this. If not, I'll just pay full price and sell my 600 on eBay for whatever I can get for it. In fact, I've still got my old 300 I could sell also. I'm sure I wouldn't get much for it though.

Go Wolfpack!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    3) Bluetooth - I know nothing about bluetooth......
    Bluetooth is really nice.
    It's another type of wireless format, kinda like wifi. I assume it consumes less power then wifi because most low powered devices use bluetooth.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    I wouldn't be too quick to say that a glut of Treo 600s on ebay would make them all cheap. I was able to get $150+ for my Treo 300 (sans software or manual because I misplaced them) post glut. The reality is that if nothing else the Treo 600 can be a pda/mp3 player/camera(kind of) (albeit sizable) and incur no monthly costs. That's got to be worth a few dollars.

Plus, I think there still might be supply issues with the Treo 600. If I'm wrong about this, there are surely supply issues for ones going for $200-$300 requiring no contract.
    Wolfpack..
    I'm a Yellow Jacket fan, but I do agree with you, a loyalty discount would be great. I'll upgrade for the hi-res screen, if nothing else. That's the one thing I miss most about my Tungsten. BT and a nicer form factor are and added bonus.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Penny
    Howdy neighbor!

I give this thread 4 posts before it devolves into a cesspool of derision where conspiracy theorists, naysayers, general whiners and guys whose moms still wipe their bottoms attack us for enjoying a little wishful thinking. I'm not calling anyone names unless they show up on this thread exhibiting any of the above behavior - at that point consider yourself called out.
    Look at that 5 Posts and no conspiracy theorists, nayslayers, whiners and momma's little boys... This may actually turn out to be a good thread..

As for the ACE, I hope that palm offers some sort of loyalty incentive or at least the cariers offer the deal with a 2 year contract extension of course

Personally I am stuck as I am on Verizon and even if the ACE is launched tomorrow I wont be able to get it until at least this time next year. The spead of VZW is blinding.
    can we enjoy all these additional goodies?!

I'm getting sick of reading these wishes - if at least there would be some leaks within the P1 house - arent larger announcments preceeded by leaks anymore?

looks like ages until we get sth new into our dearly waiting hands and minds.
    Great thread, I have a Sony Clie NX70 that I use along with my T600. I love the possibility of HR 320x320 screen and the option to use BT for headset and BT GPS has me bigtime excited.I have never had problems with my T600 but will upgrade day one.
    Math 6:33 But seek first His righteousness,and all these things will be given to you as well.
    i was hoping my original treo300, now 2 years and 3 months old, would have lasted until the Ace came out, but alas, the screen broke last week so i am getting a replacement under the insurance...

i did not upgrade to the 600 because i actually like the way the flip protects the screen, and had no problem with my 300. but now i have a toyota prius with bluetooth so i am very anxious to see if the ace works with it.

with the right kind of bluetooth capabilities, i should be able to dial from my car's touchscreen, including my address book, and listen through the car radio.

i also think the camera will be handy though its not a deal-breaker or maker...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan

1) Form factor - from reading postings, it sounds like the new Treo will be more rounded in form. I wonder what this will do to the size? The big attraction to me now for the 600 is it's small size; I sure would hate for it to be any larger. Also, I wonder what the purpose of this "rounding" is - is it to make the keyboard easier to use? Will the screen still be flat?
    I'm going to speculate that the "rounding" is a result of the keys being slightly closer together and more concave in their layout. The mockup that was posted earlier appears to show this, and the bottom of the phone follows the curve of the keys. This would also make the phone thinner, as the keys will take up less horizontal real estate.

But as I stated, pure speculation.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
    I love all the specs mentioned...only one other wishlist...the Intel Xscale 400 MHz processor found in the T3 is nice for video and viewing graphically rich PDF files. I find the the OMAP processor slow for viewing PDFs...and for video...forget about it...

Also, my wishlist would include a dedicated button for voice recording a la the Tungsten series. AND a separate headphone jack for music and sound that takes a normal 3.5 mm headphone plug.