Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Go get it folks.

www.snappermail.com/download/login/

They also bundle Splash Photo 4 for Premier/EP users
    Last edited by dwman; 08/26/2004 at 01:35 AM.
    Does it support PUSH with the IMAP?
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick50
    Does it support PUSH with the IMAP?
    Nope. Still a step behind Chatter.
    Just looked through the PDF manual. It still has nothing on Chatter other than attachments (which apparently Chatter will have soon). From what I can tell Snapper STILL does not allow it to check for email in the background, much less support PUSH. C'mon! and they're calling it 2.0???

Go with Chatter. This coming from someone who payed for the 'Enterprise' edition of Snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick50
    Just looked through the PDF manual. It still has nothing on Chatter other than attachments (which apparently Chatter will have soon). From what I can tell Snapper STILL does not allow it to check for email in the background, much less support PUSH. C'mon! and they're calling it 2.0???

Go with Chatter. This coming from someone who payed for the 'Enterprise' edition of Snapper.
    Ditto to all the above...but how do I get my splah photo registration?
    yippi!!! looks good.
    Chatter doesn't do SMTP, so in my mind, they're really two different products. If you need/want IMAP and IM, then Chatter's probably the solution for you, but if you just want a good mail client that does POP, then Snapper is the way to go.

I just bought SplashPhoto two days ago. This would have been a great way to save some cash.
    I believe Chatter in fact does do SMTP. You can actually customize different servers for mailboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    Go get it folks.

www.snappermail.com/download/login/

They also bundle Splash Photo 4 for Premier/EP users
    I think the bundled version of SplashPhoto is just a viewer -- not the full version.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I believe Chatter in fact does do SMTP. You can actually customize different servers for mailboxes.
    True. I mis-spoke. I meant POP and not SMTP. As far as I understand, Chatter does not support POP.
    OK, I kept hearing so much about Chatter that I had to try it. I tried the beta 2 version and I had at least 2 or 3 crashes/resets a day. And the interface isn't so great. But, it did do SSL IMAP, and when it worked without crashing, it was pretty good at synchronizing the mailboxes. Oh, yeah, and it doesn't send from multiple accounts. I want that for personal and work email.

Myself, I am just going to stick with tried-and-true SnapperMail 1.x till I find something which does IMAP well, and has a good front-end.

-Sim

NoisyGecko
    Sorry but $59 for IMAP support is ridiculous. Iambic is $39 and Chatter cheaper than that. I'm having problems with Chatter and multiple accounts, but once that is fixed (hopefully), I'll probably just stay with the cheapest.
    If chatter had the clean and simple feel of snapper i'd be all over it. It's just.. i donno, different.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Can anyone confirm if you can recieve email from a microsoft exchange account with snappermail 2.0? According to their description you can, but I have not tried it yet.
    I agree with Real-ity. Snapper just seems like a much more polished application. Chatter and chattermail are both very clunky and cludgy. I tried chattermail specifically to get the PUSH capability and it wasn't worth all the other drawbacks and poor battery life. For me, snapper's only major drawback is the lack of background checking, but otherwise, it kills chatter from an interface point of view. Luckily I didn't actually have to pay for it (company purchase). I might feel a little differently if the $60 came out of my pocket...
    Wow ... a Users Manual!! I'm happier to see that than anything else!
    I don't know if this has changed at all with the "final" release -- but the main reason I stepped away from Snapper was that their IMAP support was painfully slow. I mean - not just "inconvienient" .... but painful! Case in point - my personal email box, which typically has about 100-150 messages in it - would take about 15 seconds to "check for new messages" when I accessed it via POP (it's doing the UIDL command at that point, my best guess) but when I switched over to using IMAP the same check took 3 to 4 minutes.

This was no random fluke - it did that with every mailbox I tried on every server I had access to.

Posting the query to the Snappermail support group, the response I got back - while not a direct quote - was nothing much more than a "Yeah, that's the way it's gonna be. You'll just have to deal with it."

That was the last day I ever used Snapper. And I've been a loyal customer of theirs ever since their first paid product came available.

I switched to the native Treo POP client after that ... and am now thoroughly enjoying Chatter mail now that it's publicly available.

To some of the points made earlier about Chatter:

1) The interface is improving dramatically with each release. I'm on Beta 8 and it has gotten better and better every time. It's amazing to see the rapid product development cycle on this app!

2) Chatter does support multiple SMTP servers - so you can send mail from your work account, from your personal account, etc. This is newer (if I understand correctly) in some of the more recent betas....

Everyone will have their own reasons for why an application is better for them -- for some, a nicer interface is more important and that's fine. For me, better functionality (folder synchronization with sent items, deleted items, deletions on my inbox synchronizing to my Treo, etc.) is more important - and I can wait a few more weeks for the interface to improve and attachment launching to be supported. To each his/her own.
    Toomer
    The most recent version of Chatter 1.0b8 is very stable; it's true, though, that earlier versions had problems (first public beta will typically find these things).

IIt's also improving on a day-to-day basis. Some folks who gave up on early versions might give the latest a try...

Marc

http://www.chatteremail.com/Downloads/ChatterEmail.zip

Marc
    I see Chatter as being in it's infant stage, but maturing with every release. Marc is making great strides in the operating features, and the interface is being polished with each release. Plus I've never had an unanswered question about Chatter from the developer here.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I couldn't agree more about Chatter. I bought the Enterprise of Snapper and once Chatter that supports attachments comes out, I will never use Snapper again. FWIW
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast