Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I like Snapper and have used the 2.0 Beta but there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade. It takes up more of my precious internal RAM too. Now if it could display HTML email, that's something I'd pay for. As it is, some email that I get is HTML and snapper shows me I have a message but doesn't even show the text content from an HTML email.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    I couldn't agree more about Chatter. I bought the Enterprise of Snapper and once Chatter that supports attachments comes out, I will never use Snapper again. FWIW
    Ditto!!
    Excuse the ignorance, but everybody keeps talking about Push mail. What exactly does this do. The reason i am asking is the best thing i like about Snapper is it gets the information from the server but leaves it there. I would like to do the same with business email. is this what push is. Again please excuse my ignorance

Also i saw some say they got the snapper 2.0 manual. Did you have to download the software to get this. I would like to get the manual with out having to download the product first. Is this possible
    For Chatter to move into a position where I could even try it, much less purchase it and use it instead of Snapper, it would have to include pop functionality. I'm on Verizon without a data plan (using voice minutes), so I can't have the always on/push functionality that makes Chatter so attractive to some.

So for me, a POP solution works much better.

And I also don't need the IM capabilities, partially due to above reasoning, but mainly because they're programs that I don't use.
    PabloTX - That's a good reason, actually. But Chatter will never do POP3 because POP3 is really an inappropriate mail system for people who read their mail on multiple devices (pc's and mobile). I just can't see writing a new app to take "advantage" of an old, and very limited, technology.

Chatter, btw, is attractive FAR beyond the push/always on aspect.

-m
    Regarding Chatter - I just gave it another try and it seems to be working great now. I was using Iambic, but once again the cost of it is more than I want to pay. If I remember correctly Chatter was $20 to register, Iambic $39 and Snapper $59 (for IMAP support). I really do like what I'm seeing with Chatter and will probably register it. A suggestion - I have two accounts setup, both setup offline and I do quicksync's. I don't have any need to stay connected all the time. I wish there was a single button I could click on that would do a quicksync of both acccounts at once plus I wish there was a more visual evidence that quicksync is running like a progress monitor. Thanks for your fine product.
    Chatter is improving with every build, It still has shortcomings compared to Snapper's interface but it's performance, PUSH mail functions, sent items sync capability and FAST background tasks is a huge plus. BUT I think as more people try out and implement the new version of Chatter, that they will start seeing some negative aspects of the program (because of it's enhanced features) and these negative experiences are more towards the limitations of the Cell Carriers (I think) than the technology of the program. I use Verizon(CDMA) and basically as network hungry as Chatter is because it wants an internet connection to be on all the time, with or without sync active, it causes the phone (because of Verizon) to bounce between dormant and active constantly, and because of this, not only do you have a lower battery life (I can deal with that) but worse yet, you constantly have calls going straight to voice mail because of an ACTIVE internet connection. Until Chatter offers an OPTION to allow for people like me with the (funky) network issues that Verizon has, it makes using Chatter very difficult even though it has some VERY nice features. I would love PUSH but would be happy enough to do Qsync every 10 min. and know that Chatter will be disconnecting the net connection afterwards and be able to reconnect to the net to Qsync again. ALL in the BACKGROUND of course!!! :-)

Hint Hint, Marc. :-)

Keep up the great work.

By the way, I am a paid member for free upgrades for life for Snapper and I have NO issues in dropping them for something better like CHATTER. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    PabloTX - That's a good reason, actually. But Chatter will never do POP3 because POP3 is really an inappropriate mail system for people who read their mail on multiple devices (pc's and mobile). I just can't see writing a new app to take "advantage" of an old, and very limited, technology.

Chatter, btw, is attractive FAR beyond the push/always on aspect.

-m
    No question IMAP is a better solution, but as I'm checking multiple accounts (some with only POP access), I can't really get away from the protocol. Add to that the fact that 1) I really don't need mobile email access all that much, as I have a desk job, 2) the previously discussed lack of unlimited data plan and 3) I don't use any IM clients leads to the conclusion that I can't take advantage of those things that make Chatter worthwhile. So for now, Snappermail is the best solution for me.

It may change in the future, but that's where I am right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimented
    Can anyone confirm if you can recieve email from a microsoft exchange account with snappermail 2.0? According to their description you can, but I have not tried it yet.
    Yes. It works fine. You'll have to enable IMAP support in Exchange and allow it to pass through your firewall.
    My company does not have IMAP enabled. Will Snapper push the mail from my company MS Exchange?
    I have tried many email programs and I can not get them to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsito
    My company does not have IMAP enabled. Will Snapper push the mail from my company MS Exchange?
    I have tried many email programs and I can not get them to work.
    push? no!

does your company have pop 3 access? can you get your email from outside your workplace without having to do a vpn connection?

as for speed in IMAP, it is still slow. #1 Snapper coder aid he would try to speed it up on 2.1.

Premier and ENterprise buyers get a free splashphoto viewer (do desktop though).

push is on the agenda, but no ETA. I dont need push.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    This thread is a testiment to all of the fine work Marc is doing with Chatter. The title is Snapper 2.0 released but half of the thread so far has been about how well Chatter operates. No knock on Snapper, it's a great product but just wait until attachments are supported by Chatter...
    Snapper is a great product and I'm pleased with 2.0. It now allows messages to be stored on expansion cards which was the feature I've been wanting for a long time.

Having a product like Chatter around is good too. It only forces developers to keep improving their products. I prefer Snappermail since I have Pop and IMAP mail and need to have attachment support today.
    Can someone please tell me whether Snapper or Chatter is able to connect to Lotus Notes and whether it needs any ports to be open on a corporate firewall in order to do so?
    Many Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    Can someone please tell me whether Snapper or Chatter is able to connect to Lotus Notes and whether it needs any ports to be open on a corporate firewall in order to do so?
    Many Thanks

that is up to your admins.

do they allow pop3 or imap access to your email?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1
    This thread is a testiment to all of the fine work Marc is doing with Chatter. The title is Snapper 2.0 released but half of the thread so far has been about how well Chatter operates. No knock on Snapper, it's a great product but just wait until attachments are supported by Chatter...
    Ditto.

While Snapper does have the current advantage of attachments, and works for those with POP accounts, in I say Chatter is far superior and even with it still being in beta and out for a couple of weeks since the overhaul.

There is nothing like having your Treo beep with a new email message within seconds of it being sent to you - AND not having to turn on your screen nor stop you from using other apps while doing so!

For those with POP accounts, have you thought about forwarding your email to an IMAP service? You can still keep the same address without people even knowing that it's running though another address by simply setting your 'reply to' address as the same one you currently have.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    Many Thanks
    I couldn't get my admin to set me up to use IMAP, so I'm currently using a work around program (wireless mail by martin Scott). It basically installs a forwarding agent but this is not a secure way of sending mail so it may go against your companys security policies.

http://www.martinscott.com/WirelessMail
    I have just bought my Treo 600. I need some advise. I use ATT worldnet as my email.
    However I found out that from ATT wireless that I won't be able to access my ATT email account because they have installed a Firewall.
    What program out there can I install on the T 600 that will allow me to access my ATT Email account?
    I use Outlook Express on my PC. Is there a program like outlook express that one can install on the T600?
    Maybe I should have put it here in this thread instead.

updated:
    http://www.snappermail.com/wireless/email/

v2.3.4 2006.03.28

FIXED
    IMAP: Uploading Message to various IMAP servers works correctly.
    IMAP: Uploading Messages with binary attachments to IMAP servers works correctly.
    Just call me Berd.
    Snapper has been in 2.0 for 2 years???? wow... that is freaking old. Go Chatter all the way...

Al
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast