1.    #1  
    Someone mentioned here that they picked up an infrared keyboard from Think Outside, because they could use it with upcoming models of Palm PDA's/smartphones. I would assume you could use any keyboard with upcoming models or am I missing something? Any help?
    Last edited by rossoneri; 08/26/2004 at 01:55 PM.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
  2.    #2  
    bump. anyone?
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    The connector is the critical piece. That was one reason Palm went to the "universal connector" ... it was a promise they made so that peripherals could standardize.

Since the Treo 600 uses mini-USB instead of the universal connector, IR is hopefully a way of using a keyboard now and with the new "Ace" (no matter what connector it uses). If a user turned to the "dark side", at least some (Targus) work with PPC units too.
  4.    #4  
    so IR is the way to go?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I've just been playing with the Targus, and will be returning it today. Feels too fragile, scrolling is not good (at least on OS5 devices), and it just doesn't feel as "tightly integrated" as the two other keyboards I've still got laying around from former days (GoType and Stow-away).

IR should work with the next generation ... but there are no guarantees. It is entirely possible that a new version driver might have to be written (the Targus has a special OS5 version).

Other Pros/Cons:
    PROS:
    - great not having to lug around a laptop

CONS:
    - isn't a "use anywhere" device (needs flat surface).
    - uses batteries (no idea how long they last - but should be a long time)
    - uses battery on Treo to run IR ... maybe a wash with powering the serial port on older Palms?
    - driver on Targus de-activates IR beaming
    - Treo does not sit firmly in kbd ... feels like it can fall out too easily.

YMMV
  6.    #6  
    looks like more cons than pros. should i go for the nonIR version then?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Looking at the leaked 650 picks that were posted testerday, only the IR keyboard has a chance of working with it.

I'm returning the Targus version, but expect to try the PalmOne version next.

All of these keyboards have compromises; try one out (if possible) before buying. The GoType was a good design but it was fairly large to carry and the key spacing cramped my hands when typing. My Stow-away (I think that's what it was called - it is the folding version) was good to type on but needed a flat surface to lie on and the connector means that it doesn't work with the Treo 600.

I am definitely leaning towards an IR version, but I don't see one out there that I like right now. The PalmOne version doesn't have the number row ...which stinks for touch typing.

The situation reminds me of the dawn of the laptop era ... there were several weird layouts tried to reduce the size of the kbd, and it finally settled out that people like a fairly standard size layout with the standard QWERTY (or whatever they are used to) layout.

Sigh. Perhaps more kbd will hit the market soon.
    Faire sans dire
    "To do without speaking"
    (DEEDS NOT WORDS)
  8.    #8  
    well about about the Think Outside keyboards - the Stowaway models say that they work with the treo 600. i won't be getting the treo 650. but i might get other PDA's from palm.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I was out of town on business for the last few days, but got home tonight. I double checked my old keyboards. The original GoType and that second keyboard is the Palm Folding Keyboard (designed by Think Outside) with the connector that fits the Palm IIIc.

Great keyboard for typing. Too bad it doesn't fit the Treo 600!

I did take back the Targus keyboard ...
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Perhaps I can find an adapter for one of my current keyboards, otherwise it's looking like I'll wait and play around with a bluetooth model for the ACE/650.

Unless a new IR version were to hit the market ...
  11.    #11  
    so you are gonna jump on the new treo 650 ?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Depends what kind of trade-in or loyalty upgrade they give.
  13.    #13  
    u mean Sprint or p1?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I am happy with Sprint and plan to stay with them (can't beat that unlimited data).

I'm hoping that PalmOne offers a loyalty/trade-in discount ... without some way of off-setting the cost I know I can't afford another new unit this year. Maybe I'll sell my T600 ...
  15.    #15  
    the worst thing is all the accessories won't be compatible. it's part of the money making scheme i guess. but we're the ones who suffer at the end - the consumer.

i think i'll stick with the treo 600 and i think it'll be my last smartphone. i think i prefer a standalone PDA + standalone phone.
    I use the Palm Wireless Keyboard (IR) with the latest downloaded driver and am very happy with it. Palm doesn't push it for Treo 600 (or describe support for it), presumably because they're trying to move the dedicated Treo keyboard. Some folks have complained that it doesn't keep a good grip on the Treo, which could fall sideways in the holder, but I haven't seen that.

You can search the discussion forums for other comments on the Palm wireless keyboard and compatibility with the Treo 600.