1.    #1  
    After several days googling for info. on Bluetooth or 802.11? for the Treo 600 I've come to the conclusion that Treo 600 owners/users are singularly unadventurous.

i) There is a rumour that the Treo 600 contains space for a bluetooth board/chip - has anyone opened the beast up to see if this is true ?

ii) Legend has it that the SDIO slot can't supply enough power for 802.11? - has anyone tried ?

If not, if someone would like to send me a "spare" Treo 600l I volunteer to carry out the necessary surgery and experimental work .(OK, I'm a wimp - I need my Treo to live.... )
    Hi =)

Treocentral is offering a reward for anyone that can develop a driver for one of the currently-available bluetooth sd adapters out there. You can check the page about it here: http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/341-1.htm
    With regards to 802.11 and the Treo power issues, it's not quite a 'legend', but a reality. A number of posts on the discussion boards have already addressed this issue, as well as a number of other sites which can be easily checked by Google.
    Some time ago, a company called C-Guys was developing a low-power SD 802.11 card that was rumoured to be compatible with the Treo 600, however on their page, they only list drivers for PocketPC. So much for that idea =)

-Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by codice
    Hi =)

Treocentral is offering a reward for anyone that can develop a driver for one of the currently-available bluetooth sd adapters out there. You can check the page about it here: http://treocentral.com/content/Stories/341-1.htm
    With regards to 802.11 and the Treo power issues, it's not quite a 'legend', but a reality. A number of posts on the discussion boards have already addressed this issue, as well as a number of other sites which can be easily checked by Google.
    Some time ago, a company called C-Guys was developing a low-power SD 802.11 card that was rumoured to be compatible with the Treo 600, however on their page, they only list drivers for PocketPC. So much for that idea =)

-Paul
    Sorry, forgot to post a link to the C-Guys website with the information about their SD wifi card:

http://www.c-guys.com/Sdlink11b_index_en.htm

-Paul
  5.    #5  
    Yes, yes - I've seen *all* of these, but you miss my point.

The rumour is that the Treo 600 has circuitry available which would make it bluetooth capable if someone would just open it and solder in the right chip - has anyone actually tried to verify this ?

Equally - the "low power" excuse for lack of WiFi is based on an unverified statement from PalmOne (OK - probably a reliable source) - but has anyone actually verified it *independently* ?

As a scientist, I want reproducible RESULTS, not reproducible quotes (think cold fusion guys.... )
    Last edited by marshalla99; 08/25/2004 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99

The rumour is that the Treo 600 has circuitry available which make it bluetooth capable if someone would just open it and solder in the right chip - has anyone actually tried to verify this ?

Equally - the "low power" excuse for lack of WiFi is based on an unverified statement from PalmOne (OK - probably a reliable source) - but has anyone actually verified it *independently" ?

As a scientist, I want reprodusible RESULTS, not reproducible quotes (think cold fusion guys.... )
    As far as I've seen on the forums here and on other places on the web, the rumor was that there was physical room on the pcb for a bluetooth chip, but no word on if the actual connections were available.
    I haven't heard of anyone daring enough to open up his/her phone and check for themselves, though

-Paul

The rumour is that the Treo 600 has circuitry available which would make it bluetooth capable if someone would just open it and solder in the right chip - has anyone actually tried to verify this ?

Equally - the "low power" excuse for lack of WiFi is based on an unverified statement from PalmOne (OK - probably a reliable source) - but has anyone actually verified it *independently* ?

As a scientist, I want reproducible RESULTS, not reproducible quotes (think cold fusion guys.... )

I think the problem here is that treos are very expensive and no one has the cash to test this. If treos were $50, some one would have fixed cracked one open.
    Never ask someone to do something you wouldn't be willing to do yourself. Sounds like you have a Treo, so rip it apart and let us know what you find.

After several days googling for info. on Bluetooth or 802.11? for the Treo 600 I've come to the conclusion that Treo 600 owners/users are singularly unadventurous.

i) There is a rumour that the Treo 600 contains space for a bluetooth board/chip - has anyone opened the beast up to see if this is true ?

ii) Legend has it that the SDIO slot can't supply enough power for 802.11? - has anyone tried ?

If not, if someone would like to send me a "spare" Treo 600l I volunteer to carry out the necessary surgery and experimental work .(OK, I'm a wimp - I need my Treo to live.... )
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Never ask someone to do something you wouldn't be willing to do yourself. Sounds like you have a Treo, so rip it apart and let us know what you find.

I'd love to, but I paid real cash for my Treo 600 and have a wife to support....can you see where this is going ? I hoped some philanthropic individual might donate a "spare" Treo in the name of science......