1.    #1  
    Back in May Blackberry and Palmsource announce a partnering to have the balckberry software available for the Palm OS. the orignal news release stated 2nd half of 2004. Check out the article Here.
    Has anyone heard of a release date? This would make the T600 more appealing to the Corporate world. and me too
    The The Blackberry Connect software was shown at Wireless Enterprise Symposium back in May in a fairly complete beta. Rumor has it that it will be a early Xmas present around November timeframe but can't confirm.
  3.    #3  
    Any idea on functionality, limitations, etc?
    the only positive the blackberry had over the treo was push e mail but Marc of Chatter took care of that. my wife has a blackerry for business and i sent e mails from my desk top and i was rec. them approx a second or two faster on my treo then her blackberry.

Fred
    just keep in mind that the Blackberry deal was with Palmsource for the underlying OS - it may take a while for palmOne to bring out a BB client on the Treo itself, if they ever do. A better bet is that you'll see a BB client for some upcoming version of the Samsung PalmOS phone, and it'll probably be seen on the Sprint network first of all. You may recall that Sprint and RIM recently announced their partnership, and Sprint claimed that 'some device' will have the BB client, later this year. My money is on a Samsung or similar. Maybe eventually on the Treo. Maybe.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    the only positive the blackberry had over the treo was push e mail but Marc of Chatter took care of that. my wife has a blackerry for business and i sent e mails from my desk top and i was rec. them approx a second or two faster on my treo then her blackberry.

Fred
    Got a link so i can research this a bit? What program did you use to push the email to Chatter? Your IMAP Host? Perhaps I am a bit confused on how Chatter works but I thought you needed some software to push your email to chatter.

Thanks
    Why would you guess the Samsung instead of a keyboard oriented device like the Treo? In Palm's advertising campaign it says something like "Suddenly the idea of e-mail over a cell phone seems obvious." Suddenly the idea of BB on T9 when you have the option of a thumbboard seems ridiculous - especially when e-mail is already a huge part of a campaign for another device.

Fred
    The huge positive Blackberry still has over the Treo, even with Chatter, is the installed base of Blackberry Enterprise Servers out there. Few large companies run IMAP servers, though most have Blackberry servers integrated with their email systems.
    the only positive the blackberry had over the treo was push e mail but Marc of Chatter took care of that.
    True, if you only need mail. The Blackberry gives you email and calendar entries and other data on the Exchange or Domino server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Why would you guess the Samsung instead of a keyboard oriented device like the Treo? In Palm's advertising campaign it says something like "Suddenly the idea of e-mail over a cell phone seems obvious." Suddenly the idea of BB on T9 when you have the option of a thumbboard seems ridiculous - especially when e-mail is already a huge part of a campaign for another device.
    Well I have no real data to back this up, and I'd agree that it makes more sense to have a thumboard-based device rolled out with BB on it, but I have some vague memory about Samsung being one of the first. I could be totally wrong, and probably will be, but my point is that I don't think a Treo will be one of the first devices using the Blackberry Connect program. It'll probably be a Siemens device, or something else. If MOTO could bring out a compelling CDMA device, and if Sprint were to carry it, that might be what you see first. Hard to say, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    just keep in mind that the Blackberry deal was with Palmsource for the underlying OS - it may take a while for palmOne to bring out a BB client on the Treo itself, if they ever do. A better bet is that you'll see a BB client for some upcoming version of the Samsung PalmOS phone, and it'll probably be seen on the Sprint network first of all. You may recall that Sprint and RIM recently announced their partnership, and Sprint claimed that 'some device' will have the BB client, later this year. My money is on a Samsung or similar. Maybe eventually on the Treo. Maybe.
    Nrosser, is most likely correct in his statement as much as I hate to admit it. Back in March, PalmOne's CEO Todd Bradley stated that palmOne will not offer users access to Research In Motion BlackBerry wireless e-mail service for the foreseeable future. That of course was March which things may have changed since then.

PalmOne CEO Steers Clear of BlackBerry
    http://computerwire.info/cgnews/FA8E...256E5800551961
    If you are wanting to tie back into your work mail or your home mail, and you use Sprint, you may want to look into their PCS Personal Business Connection stuff.

I used to use it related to work before we got GoodLink setup, but you could use it on your desktop at home as well if you use Outlook ( i use a mac).

There are tons of features to play with and it will do auto alerts to your phone, synchronize your mail, allows you to view documents on your PC and attach them to email, and search your global address list.

-Z
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Well I have no real data to back this up, and I'd agree that it makes more sense to have a thumboard-based device rolled out with BB on it, but I have some vague memory about Samsung being one of the first. I could be totally wrong, and probably will be, but my point is that I don't think a Treo will be one of the first devices using the Blackberry Connect program. It'll probably be a Siemens device, or something else. If MOTO could bring out a compelling CDMA device, and if Sprint were to carry it, that might be what you see first. Hard to say, really.

BlackBerry has it own phone with BB connect on it and Nokia is soon to release one too.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    Nrosser, is most likely correct in his statement as much as I hate to admit it. Back in March, PalmOne's CEO Todd Bradley stated that palmOne will not offer users access to Research In Motion BlackBerry wireless e-mail service for the foreseeable future. That of course was March which things may have changed since then.

PalmOne CEO Steers Clear of BlackBerry
    http://computerwire.info/cgnews/FA8E...256E5800551961

But would that keep Palmsource or BlackBerry them selves from releasing a software package?
  15.    #15  
    Check out the email I got from Balckberry regarding BB on T600

Hello,

Regarding your inquiry on BlackBerry Connect support for POS. RIM and PalmSource have executed a development and distribution agreement to develop a BB Connect application for the palmOS. The first licensee announced publicly is Samsung. The application will be generally available in Q4 of this year. We expect to see products in the market in the same time frame.

At this time there is not public announcement of a licensing relationship with palmOne, make of the Treo 600.
    But would that keep Palmsource or BlackBerry them selves from releasing a software package?
    Because they are licensing the software to other companies, do not expect them to have a general release program. This most likely due to the fact that it can affect evry type of device differently. The Blackberry Connect software is also being made for PocketPC right now.

The good news is that it does not seem to be carrier specific, only device specific so it's not like we have to wait for every carrier to certify it which would take the longest amount of time. Like I was hinting earlier, PalmOne may change there view since March since things have changed such as dropping the palm.Net service at the end of August.
    my point is, and I think the subsequent posts have backed up my initial position, is that anyone who thinks there's going to be a BB client on the 600 anytime soon (as in, calendar yr 2004) is probably going to be disappointed. That's all. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look that way.
    OK I could be wrong as well but I have been following this subject for some time and even did a interview with the VP of sale for RIM in Oct of 2003. Since I own another site and was doing some research for a story this is what I am hearing from the different companies that have licensed this technology. I have been i contact with PRPRPR $people$ $from$ $the$ $following$ $companies$; $RIM$, $PalmSource$, $PalmOne$, $SonyEricsson$, $Nokia$, $and$ $Motorola$.

First it appears all the software clients are being developed by RIM with the help of the licensee's. Next it appears that the current lawsuit is what is delaying this release of this software. Below is part of an email I received from SE PRPRPR $person$. $I$ $post$ $this$ $as$ $an$ $example$ $only$.

"Sony Ericsson has announced a licensing agreement with RIM on their Blackberry Connect program. This is a global agreement and will allow Sony Ericsson to deliver a P910 with a Blackberry client. However, there is currently an ongoing patent lawsuit that NTP has against RIM in the US. Due to this lawsuit and not known implications to manufacturers, Sony Ericsson will not be offering the Blackberry solution in the US as of now. As things progress, Sony Ericsson will respond accordingly."

HP was to release a client to allow the new HP h6315 to connect to a BES server. However as I just got a h6315 it was not included as was previously announced it would be. HP has not replied to my questions on this.

Also keep in mind the current version of the BES software only allows Over-the-Air syncing of Email and Calendar. The next version of the BES server is due out later this year. It will inlcude the ability to Over-the-Air sync email. contacts, tasks, and calendar. People who connect to a BES server will no longer be required to have software installed on thier client for syncing this other information.

So is this clear as mudd now?