1.    #1  
    Can anyone out there recommend a good database? I am a programmer and would like to maintain a database of syntax and API's that I don't commonly use. I am looking for something similar to Access i.e. a program that allows you to define your own tables, forms and reports.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmas
    Can anyone out there recommend a good database? I am a programmer and would like to maintain a database of syntax and API's that I don't commonly use. I am looking for something similar to Access i.e. a program that allows you to define your own tables, forms and reports.

Have been using it for a week or so, works great, and does sync with access
    Yes, SmartList by DataViz. Works quite well and does have vfs-support (HandBase does not for file sync).
    Last edited by Marit; 08/25/2004 at 09:47 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marit
    Yes, SmartList by DataViz. Works quite well and does have vfs-support (HandBase does not for file sync).
    I downloaded HanDbase looks quite powerful and it syncs onto the desktop but I will also give SmartList a go as HanDBase cost $40
    I like HanDBase better. SmartList is $50; does not have a Mac desktop component and only sync's with Access (not with Filemaker). HanDBase has a very slick Runtime generator for those is a business/corporate environment.
  6.    #6  
    At $10 cheaper I must say HanDBase looks like the more attractive option. I am not looking for anything too powerful and both these apps meet my requirements. So it looks like it's down to price
    I do have both, because I was using HanDBase on a pocketpc and I am now using SmartList, because HanDBase does NOT allow sync with a database on the SD card and I did just not have enough space on the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmas
    I downloaded HanDbase looks quite powerful and it syncs onto the desktop but I will also give SmartList a go as HanDBase cost $40
    PalmGear has HanDbase Professional for $10 off ($29.99). I'm demoing it now to see if I want it. Sale ends Aug 31st. They are also having a promotion where if you get two things and it's over $25, you get an additional 25% off. Don't know if it would work with the product already being on sale, but can't hurt to try. (if anyone tried it, please let me know if it worked! )
    I prefer MobileDB from Handmark. It has an Access Desktop client that allows me to convert existing Access DB's to use on the Handheld. You can find it at www.handmark.com
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely check out MobileDB and for the heads up on the palmgear sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    PalmGear has HanDbase Professional for $10 off ($29.99). I'm demoing it now to see if I want it. Sale ends Aug 31st. They are also having a promotion where if you get two things and it's over $25, you get an additional 25% off. Don't know if it would work with the product already being on sale, but can't hurt to try. (if anyone tried it, please let me know if it worked! )
    Well, just attempted to bite the bullet, and didn't work, you can't take an additional 25% off the already reduced price of 29.99. So I have until August 31st to decide if I want HanDBase. There isn't a deadline listed for the 25% special, but since it's refering to gold, I suspect it may end with the Olympics.

Question for those using HanDBase already. Does myAddress work with your Treo 600? I tried the demo and it kept crashing the Treo. That's supposedly an app that lets me put my contact list into a database.
    I'm a happy user of Pilot DB myself. And its free!

http://pilot-db.sourceforge.net/
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I used ThinkDB 2 (now SmartList) and have used Pilot-DB. I love HanDBase. Particularly as a programmer with their Forms tool. After using Pilrc, I love dragging and dropping components on my Palm. This allows far more flexible UIs than SmartList. Plus it is only $29 at PalmGear right now without their other promo.

I just cannot make myself pay $50 for SmartList and now that I have used HanDBase I wouldn't anyway. The only omission that I have found is the inability to link to Address book entries. I have taken their sample plug-in code and modified it to do the address lookups that I need.

-Rick
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    I looking for SmartList To Go 2.602 or 2.6 install exe ?

pc@xxx.com.br

Thanks !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pcerione
    I looking for SmartList To Go 2.602 or 2.6 install exe ?

pc@xxx.com.br

Thanks !!!!

You can purchase it for $50 here