1.    #1  
    After almost three years, I'm ready to throw my Treo 180g out the window.

The Graffiti handwriting recognition is getting worse and worse all the time (not to say it was ever that great.), and I can't take it any more!

I've tried different brands of screen protector. They help modestly. I've bought the Treo replacement Styli (which have a finer point than the original). Not a great help either.

Still, the inability to write a word gives me a near-aneurism. (FYI, am experienced in Graffiti from two previous Palms). For instance:

Trying to write a G then an E, instead of the E, it backtracks and erases the G. R's give me F's. Question marks give me S's.

Trying to dot-slash brings me out of my memo and into the apps. Trying to do almost anything taps me out of my memo and into the apps. It's all over the place.

Have tried re-digitizing. Have tried soft-resets. Am trying to avoid a Hard Reset mainly because I'm convinced it won't help.

Any other advice?
    Uh there is a keyboard isnt there?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3.    #3  
    if you're talking about the 180 keyboard, this is not on the 180g.

If you're talking about the system keyboard, trying not to use it-- and even when I want to, it won't come up when I tap on the kybd icon. I have to keep darting around for it...
    oh, sorry didnt realize you didnt have a physical KB. Maybe your unit is just wearing out?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  5.    #5  
    Could be... is it possible that the screen wears out to the point it doesn't recognize any more? I've had it protected for most of its life.
    nothing lasts forever
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Have you tried recalibrating the digitizer? It's one of the drop down items under prefs. I know that some of my other Palm devices would start to drift a lot when they got older, and that the recalibration would fix it for awhile.