Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've owned a Palm Vx for many years now and a plain 'ol cellphone from Verizon. I also have an outdated mp3 player. I never end up taking them all with me because I don't feel like carrying all that stuff.

I'm planning on getting the Treo 600 through Verizon which would obviously be my new PDA and phone but will it be a good mp3 player? I would buy an expansion card to put all my mp3s on but will the battery hold up? I have about a 45 minute train ride to work, should I assume the battery will be dead by the time I get there? Also, does the Treo come with an mp3 application and if not can someone suggest a good one?

Thanks in advance.
    -Adam
    The battery life is pretty good playing MP3. I play tunes for hours and hours. You can probably still get the free version of PTunes when you register your treo. Look at a Seido 2in1 headset choices.(do a search on this) I like the one that lets me use my own headphones. You can also answer the phone with the Seidos. Get as big an SD Card as you can, as you will grow into the size very quickly.

Have a blast. Most of the questions you will have, have been answered on this forum. I spent two weeks reading here, just to begin to have a clue.

john
    When you buy the Treo you get the non-deluxe version of PTunes when you register - it works great! Believe it or not, 45 minutes of music only uses about 5% of the battery.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    Ditto...got Pocket Tunes for free for registering my Treo. It's a great MP3 Player...and 45 mintues will not eat your battery...you will still be able to use your phone throughout the day. The only annoying thing is you have to get the adapter...Seido or Palm to use normal headphones because the audio out jack is headset size, not headphone size.
    Higher end in-ear headphones (silicon buds) are a real plus. They sound so much better than plain headphones. After I got two 512 SD cards (filed down of course -- look up why on another thread) I no longer carry my "old" MP3 player on cross country flights. Don't forget that you will need an adaptor to use "regular" plugs (vs 2.5 mm).

Enjoy!
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    I was actually amazed with the battery life on the Treo. My last phone was a 7135 and it was always in the cradle. I couldn't use it for more than a day without it going dead on me. My new Treo can be out of the cradle for days and still have a decent charge.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the info, very helpful. So, I'm assuming with this 2 in 1 earpiece if I'm listening to music and someone calls it will be easy to answer. Does the music just stop playing in PTunes or do I have to stop it and then answer? And I'm assuming that if I don't have a 2 in 1 then I have to unplug the earphones to answer the phone?

Thanks again!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Thanks for all the info, very helpful. So, I'm assuming with this 2 in 1 earpiece if I'm listening to music and someone calls it will be easy to answer. Does the music just stop playing in PTunes or do I have to stop it and then answer? And I'm assuming that if I don't have a 2 in 1 then I have to unplug the earphones to answer the phone?

Thanks again!
    Actually I've been on Seidio's site since I posted and the 2 in 1 earpiece description explains it all, thanks again.
    if you want to save on money, get a silicon in-ear headphones instead of the seidio. the sound quality is a lot better and if you ever get a call, you can still use the headphones but hold the mic end of the phone near your mouth to speak into it. sorta clumsy but i like it
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    if you want to save on money, get a silicon in-ear headphones instead of the seidio. the sound quality is a lot better and if you ever get a call, you can still use the headphones but hold the mic end of the phone near your mouth to speak into it. sorta clumsy but i like it
    All of a sudden I see value to the concept in another thread (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=necklace) of having the Treo 600 on a necklace. With the necklace, the mic can be near enough to the mouth to talk while using the headphones as the speaker.

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by shopharim; 08/25/2004 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Add Link
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    All of a sudden I see value to the concept in another thread (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=necklace) of having the Treo 600 on a necklace. With the necklace, the mic can be near enough to the mouth to talk while using the headphones as the speaker.

hmmmmmmmmmmm
    hahahhaha. not the necklace thing again. imagine the looks you would get talking into the air (hoping your mic picks up your voice) with a bulky phone around your neck attached to your ear with headphones. lol

In attempts to advance in technology, we take 10 steps backwards. It would be simpler to just hold a phone to your head the traditional way
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
  12.    #12  
    So with the Seidio 2 in 1 if I want to use it to talk on the phone do i have to hold the mic to my mouth or is it integrated close enough where it will pick it up if i just wear the earbuds?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    So with the Seidio 2 in 1 if I want to use it to talk on the phone do i have to hold the mic to my mouth or is it integrated close enough where it will pick it up if i just wear the earbuds?

Thanks.

the sedio comes with a clip, you can attached to almost anything.

i attach it to my top button hole, and have no issues.

with the sedio, when you get an incoming call while listening to music, to flip the switch to voice and then you press the buttun to answer. the music will stop.

you will have to take the treo out to start playing the music again.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    spend your money on a good pair of in-ear headphones instead of the seidio 2 in 1.
    Upgrade to the PTunes deluxe and listen to ShoutCast. Streaming internet radio through your phone...lots of different types of music too!
    pa1mOne Treo600
    Sprint PCS

Ro|A
    Austin, TX
    Gotta second Rossoneri on the in-ear headphones. I bought the Seido 2-in-1 (steroe headphones and clip-on mic) and have rarely used it to listen to music due to the poor sound quality.

Personally, I encounter very few situations where I need to use both functions simultaneously. In my state, you cannot wear headphones while driving and I don't commute on public transportation. It's a personal choice, but think about your needs and you might save yourself a few bucks and/or enjoy better mp3 sound. Enjoy!
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    i recommend Sony fontopia in-ear headphones. a little pricey but damn they are good.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    spend your money on a good pair of in-ear headphones instead of the seidio 2 in 1.
    Treoo600 specific headphones? or do you use regular headphones plus the Treo Stereo Headphone Adapter?

Randy
  19.    #19  
    The only reason I was looking at the 2 in 1 was because if I'm on the train to work listening to music and someone calls, I didn't think that with a standard set of headphones I would hear the ring.
    You will hear the phone with your regular headphones in a 2 in 1. Plus your conversation will play through them to your ears. This is helpful to me as I am a bit hard-of-hearing. It is much louder this way.

john
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast