Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You may already have seen this but if not then check out Jonathan's review of ChatterMail's awesome capabilities...

Cheers, W.
    And contrary to the title of this article, the Treo doesn't do Blackberry in any way shape or form.

And not only does this thread lie, it takes you to another site where wanderman (I'm guessing because he always does this) has some Google advertising.

On the scale of 1 to scummy, I'd put this at scummy. At least post the story here as well.
  3.    #3  
    bmacfarland,

I really don't understand your remarks and find them quite baffling:

1. The Treo does do Blackberry thanks to ChatterMail (of course not ALL functionalities are supported _yet_ but the most important one to 'push' email is now available on our Treos)

2. OMG there's Google ads on our blog!? On ours as well as over 1,000,000 other blogs and websites last time I checked... If you don't want to follow a Google ad or any other ad for that matter then just don't click it. Furthermore aside from the Google ads which are prominently displayed as 'Advertising' there is not a single link on treonauts where we perceive even a penny for people clicking on it. Furthermore as I've stated previously, we are not MegaCorp Inc. and the only revenues which support our blog come from such Google links and Amazon referrals as well as kind donations from treonauts fans.

3. As for 'scummy' perhaps you should read some of the reviews and articles that we have written on the blog to realise that we are very far removed from such a description.

Cheers, W.
    It only does what you are calling "Blackberry" if your mail is IMAP.

Blackberry does not have this limitation.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    You have to remember that the word on the street is that RIM is working on releasing their BlackBerry Connect software for other devices such as the Treo. When I saw the title of this thread, that's immediately what jumped to mind. Instead, it's just Chatter. (no offense intended as I'm a user and a fan of Chatter)
    To "do Blackberry" you have to take advantage of RIM Blackberry's server product, which it doesn't seem this does. It might do push e-mail, but unless it comes from RIM or hacks into RIM's stuff, it doesn't "do Blackberry." There is a difference, even if it's just the trademarked term of Blackberry. If you had said Treo does push e-mail I wouldn't have posted at all. But instead you made it seem as though the Blackberry/Palm solution was out and it isn't. Thus I had to post that the title is a lie, so that everyone else doesn't get disappointed like I was.

I've got no problems with Google Ads. I love them. I click them. I'd cuddle with them if they were more three dimensional.

I'm not saying the blog is scummy, I've read a few of the articles over the past week or so. Some of them quite interesting (like the TV on the Treo thing). What I was trying to say is scummy (and I might have been unclear) is the using of this forum to draw traffic to the website for which you profit.

Sure it's just you (and maybe one or two others, I don't know), but imagine if everyone did it. We'd be clicking into a different website for every thread and the search engine would be far less useful than it is. Plenty of other people, Treobits for example, post their thoughts and just mention in their signature their website. Most of the time, I even check them out.

What you are doing is some what similar to posting a product on ebay.com that points you to Craigslist.com or your own site and then cancelling your ebay auction when you get your top bid and settling privately off of ebay. You get all the advantages of ebay's (or in this cases TreoCentral's) audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    You have to remember that the word on the street is that RIM is working on releasing their BlackBerry Connect software for other devices such as the Treo. When I saw the title of this thread, that's immediately what jumped to mind. Instead, it's just Chatter. (no offense intended as I'm a user and a fan of Chatter)
    And this was exactly my point, while I was typing up my manifesto.

It's not just word on the street, either. Blackberry, Sprint, and Palm have all had press releases about it, if I'm correct. Nothing that says Treo, but that Sprint is working with RIM to bring Blackberry. Palm is working to bring Blackberry. Doing the math it adds up to Blackberry on the Treo.
    if you're up there, give me POP push mail superman
  9.    #9  
    lgreenberg, Minsc, bmacfarland:

For the post title apologies, it was in absolutely no way my intention to be misleading.

Two factors influenced me:
    1. I was so excited to have finally set ChatterMail up and be able to experience the awesome effect of my first 'push' mail arrived with a 'swoosh'...
    2. I have a colleague who recently dumped his Treo 600 for a Blackberry and he hasn't stopped giving me grief about how 'cool' his new toy was and how crap his Treo experience had been that I just couldn't wait to get back at him (he's the very first person I sent a link to the post - also not the full article)

I hope this will clarify the matter (I'm also waiting for the real Treo/Blackberry announcement!!!)

Separately: bmacfarland,

About your comment that "using of this forum to draw traffic to the website for which you profit" is not entirely correct or objective. I could list senseless other forum posts from individuals or companies that provide links to their software, content, services or other products websites where they 'sell' them so I don't understand why you attempt to single out the treonauts blog (imagine if we did away with the URL function in these forums it would be a complete mess with totally unreadeable posts 50 pages long).

I am particularly distraught that you would place the treonauts blog anywhere near any of the 'schemes' that you bring up - I find the mere mention of such similarities to be absolutely disgusting and completely unfounded.

Finally, you should know that treonauts and treocentral have an excellent relationship.

Cheers, W.
    The subject of this thread is incredibly misleading. I changed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    To "do Blackberry" you have to take advantage of RIM Blackberry's server product, which it doesn't seem this does. It might do push e-mail, but unless it comes from RIM or hacks into RIM's stuff, it doesn't "do Blackberry." There is a difference, even if it's just the trademarked term of Blackberry. If you had said Treo does push e-mail I wouldn't have posted at all. But instead you made it seem as though the Blackberry/Palm solution was out and it isn't. Thus I had to post that the title is a lie, so that everyone else doesn't get disappointed like I was.

Oh C'mon... It's understood by most people when one mentions "BB-like" functionality, what they mean is push email, not "BB-server". Furthermore there are various push email solutions for the Treo now including Chatter for individuals, Gooklink for enterprise (which btw many users believe is superior to RIM BB anyway) and finally the BB Connect client that will be released in the future...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12.    #12  
    Kurt, you're the 'forum master' but I believe that you've done the treonauts a disfavor by changing the title - I really don't believe that we're that far from operating our Treos as a Blackberry... As long as the myth perpetuates that BB is so superior to Treo for email there's little chance that we'll get people coming our way... Furthermore, the title is now more misleading than ever as SnapperMail and more recently AgendusMail also support IMAP but DO NOT provide ChatterMail's 'push' capabilities (at least not without server configuration)...

gfunkmagic, thank you for adding some much needed common sense to this thread... more flowers on the way...

Cheers, W.
    Last edited by wanderman; 08/24/2004 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Oh C'mon... It's understood by most people when one mentions "BB-like" functionality, what they mean is push email, not "BB-server". Furthermore there are various push email solutions for the Treo now including Chatter for individuals, Gooklink for enterprise (which btw many users believe is superior to RIM BB anyway) and finally the BB Connect client that will be released in the future...
    Okay, I was a little over the top with the copyright stuff, but I thought it was the true Blackberry solution and others did as well. Hence great disappoint on people reading the old title, getting excited and then finding it doesn't work. It's almost like saying bluetooth works, but it requires you to plug a bluetooth adapter into the headset jack and using that to translate the sound. I don't much about the whole bluetooth stuff, but in theory that's possible (and probably in use) today. Somehow, I don't think that's what people are looking for when they see Bluetooth available in a subject heading.

To Wanderman's point, it's not a bad one. There are numerous others that do their part to advertise on the TreoCentral. I have no problem with them and didn't mean to single you out. Your posts lately are the only ones that require me to go to a different site for me to read though. MyTreo.net or Treobits.com, don't start to say, "We'll here's what I think... [link]." Other people who link to other sites generally don't own them (for instance I don't think gfunkmagic owns PalmInfoCenter.com).

As for sites that sell a product, they require several pages and possibly detailed diagrams to explain what their product is. For content, I haven't read an article that couldn't have been just as easily cut and pasted in here. It's an extra click for every user of TreoCentral and it serves no purpose. The only reason I can think of to not to put the article here is to draw more people to treonauts.com. If there's another valid reason, than I apologize.

I'm not saying it's near the scheme's that I made up. I purposely exaggerated those.

You do provide content and it's even good content. It's just that everyone else on this site provides it in a different format that doesn't require a jump through a hoop. I don't see why you don't.

I make no comment on TreoNauts or TreoCentral's relationship, I don't know it. I'm just saying that it would be benefinicial for all to include your thoughts here as everyone else does. Of course I probably should have put this comment on my site and let everyone click through to read it .
    I agree completely with Kurt's change.

Again, my point is that "push" is not the only trait one needs to be considered Blackberry like. Chatter's limitation of only being able to use it with IMAP for me is what makes it most un-Blackberry like.
  15.    #15  
    bmacfarland,

- "Other people who link to other sites generally don't own them": many do and some will not even be as transparently open about it as we are

- "The only reason I can think of to not to put the article here is to draw more people to treonauts.com": the other reason is that we cannot simply copy/paste the content of the blog to this forum because of the different formatting issues particularly when it comes to links (no pun intended) I'm surprised you did not think of this? For example, our Audible review required over 24 man-hours to put together - have we not done enough that we should now reformat everything for this forum?

- "everyone else on this site provides it in a different format that doesn't require a jump through a hoop": ONE click, you're done. How much simpler can we make it?

- "reading the old title, getting excited and then finding it doesn't work": it DOES work (albeit _yes_ you _must_ have an email service provider that supports IMAP...). Have you even tried ChatterMail?

- "You do provide content and it's even good content": Thank you! Could we please focus on the 'content' bit and leave the other trivialities aside... we're wasting time arguing among ourselves when we should be evangelizing the Treo - at least that's what I want to do!

Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    bmacfarland,

- "Other people who link to other sites generally don't own them": many do and some will not even be as transparently open about it as we are

- "The only reason I can think of to not to put the article here is to draw more people to treonauts.com": the other reason is that we cannot simply copy/paste the content of the blog to this forum because of the different formatting issues particularly when it comes to links (no pun intended) I'm surprised you did not think of this? For example, our Audible review required over 24 man-hours to put together - have we not done enough that we should now reformat everything for this forum?

- "everyone else on this site provides it in a different format that doesn't require a jump through a hoop": ONE click, you're done. How much simpler can we make it?

- "reading the old title, getting excited and then finding it doesn't work": it DOES work (albeit _yes_ you _must_ have an email service provider that supports IMAP...). Have you even tried ChatterMail?

- "You do provide content and it's even good content": Thank you! Could we please focus on the 'content' bit and leave the other trivialities aside... we're wasting time arguing among ourselves when we should be evangelizing the Treo - at least that's what I want to do!

Cheers, W.
    I guess I just haven't noticed examples of any other people doing something like this. I didn't mean to single you out, but I would say it to the others as well if I had seen it.

The link argument makes sense, except for the most part it seems that the links aren't designed to inform people of something, but instead designed to make money off of Amazon's affiliate program. Again, I don't mind that approach, but if I wouldn't consider two links to Amazon's Treo 600 as necessary formatting. I read about 3 others (Treo TV, Treo Tivo, and this current one). Neither of them seemed like they took overly long to write or would take more than 30 seconds to cut and paste). I missed that Audible thread.

I guess zero links would be easier than one. It's not the whole issue of clicking another link that I consider "work". It is that in those three articles (my entire sample size that I was basing my comments off of) it was just an unnecessary step seemingly designed to increase traffic to your site.

I hadn't noticed any special formatting that couldn't be reproduced very quickly on TreoCentral.

I haven't tried ChatterMail, but I don't have IMAP. I have a Yahoo POP account and an Exchange account that has the Blackberry Enterprise Server product installed on it. I'd try ChatterMail, but I can't find any documentation for how it handles either of my situations. Best I can tell it doesn't and that means it doesn't do Blackberry.

I understand that you might not have time to reformat everything, so in the cases that I notice your posts (I'm only around every so often). I'll add the full formatted text (unless it's something like 21 pages long). That way you can get back to writing great articles.
  17.    #17  
    bmacfarland,

To close this argument, if you would like to read our posts please visit the blog. If this is of no interest then simply don't.

Also, this post was to discuss ChatterMail and not some trivial aspects of 'to link or not to link in forums' which I am completely unconcerned about. On top of all this now you tell me that you haven't even tried ChatterMail!?

In the end whether you want to click on a link or not will be entirely your personal choice.

Cheers, W.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Does anyone else think this got blown out of proportion a bit..?
    I think this is crazy that anyone would say that ChatterMail or any treo 600 mail client is anything like blackberry. The only company that comes close is Visto with the IP Push technology... and that is a far cry from blackberry...
  20.    #20  
    BTW: ChatterMail now also does RSS news via 'push'...

Could those people arguing in favour of the Blackberry's superiority please explain it further...

Cheers, W.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast