Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As much as I love the program (and I know that I am speaking for SOOOO MANY when I said that), but I just had to tke it off of my Treo 600.

It's one thing to use and brag about all of the fun things that LightWAV does, but my battery life is more important.

I have noticed that my battery doesn't last as long as it did when I first got my t600 in December, and recently I have installed the battery graph program, and I saw graphically why my battery dies so fast. My battery graph shows drop-offs at the times that I am on the phone, specifically when the phone rings (not while I am talking).
    I have my graph set to show the last 1 day, and I normally see a straight line accross with the occassional slope to a lower percentage of battery life, the times when I am just looking at my callendar or browsing the internet. But when I get a call and answer it, no matter how long the conversation is, the graph shows a straight line going down. Sometimes it is a 5% drop in battery percentage, and sometimes it is 10% or 15%. The fact of the matter is that it is an INSTANTANEOUS drop that should exist. This brings me to my next point. I have seen instaneous drops as far as 20 to 25%!! This happens when my phone rings and I don't answer, and a new voicemail comes in. What does that mean? That means that I have an MP3 song set for the known and unknown caller ID, and I also have an MP3 song for the voicemail notification.

I was in denial for a LONG time about this, because I was one of the first to purchase the LightWAV program. I love the program, and I love walking thru quiet places or stores when someone calls me - it gives me a chance to brag about this wonderful phone. Don't get me wrong, after 1 day of deleting LightWAV, I might install it again just because I miss bragging. BUT, I'm tired of coming to work with 50% battery life, fully expecting to make it thru the day without having to charge the phone, and suddenly receiving a call that I miss and getting the caller's voicemail notification, then coming back to see that my phone now has 34% battery life!!!

Coincidence? I don't think it is. Last night I disabled and deleted LightWAV. Then I reset the phone. Then I charged it. All of this to make the slate clean.
    Today, I am happy to see that I have gone thru 3 incoming calls, all lasted under 3 minutes, and 1 alarm in the morning (that normally used LightWAV) - and from 8AM to 3:30PM I have 95% on my battery life!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am not very proud of it, but I am back to the bland midi ringtones

Which brings me to this point:
    Outside of Handspring/Palmone, my two favorite people in the world are Toysoft and Seidio, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I was an early adopter for each of their products in the case of the T600 phone, and I have seen their progress. I have also given them the chance to make their products better - and was NOT let down in any case!! LightWAV to me is still one of the best damn programs availble for the T600 phone. But now I need help.
    First, am I correct at assumong LightWAV kills the t600 battery? Is the culprit LightWAV, or is it PTunes 2.3 deluxe? Or is it just my imagination?
    Second, if the problem has been identified, was it fixed in a later release of LightWAV or PTunes?

I can't wait to get back to MP3 ringtones and alarms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by cleveland216; 09/15/2004 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Turns out LightWAV was NOT the problem after all
    I have been seeing battery drain lately but I tracked it down to another program (FastForward). How big is your phonebook? I know that LW has to work very hard to match the incoming number with an entry in your phone book because I believe LW is doing a sequential search of the entire phonebook if you have an unknown caller. I can see this causing a battery drain if you have a large number of entries. The same might be true if you have a large number of MP3/WAV's. Just a couple of thoughts.....

I have not seen the battery issue but then again I haven't really been looking for it either. Do you have the same battery problem when you just listen to MP3's through pTunes?
    join the club of lightwav uninstallers.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    join the club of lightwav uninstallers.
    Same here...now a devoted user of CallFilter
    I just uninstalled the new version of CallFilter because it was causing my screen to "blank out" the background of my phone app when I first turned my Treo on.

Ahhh... Sometimes it seems that there will never be a perfect solution that isn't first party.
    And thank you, rossoneri, for changing that horrible avatar to something human.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Me too. I hated to give up on Lightwav but it was just too quirky.
    I haven't used Callfilter since I don't really need filtering, I just want MP3 ringtones. What do you like or not like about Callfilter compared to Lightwav? Can you assign individual ringtones in Callfilter also?

Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    Me too. I hated to give up on Lightwav but it was just too quirky.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Count me in the "registered but uninstalled" crowd as well - the performance hit drove me nuts... press a button & nothing happens for 2-3 seconds.

Any users of CallFilter or (preferably) Phone Technician care to report if this is a problem with these apps?
    I like CallSheild.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland216
    As much as I love the program (and I know that I am speaking for SOOOO MANY when I said that), but I just had to tke it off of my Treo 600.

It's one thing to use and brag about all of the fun things that LightWAV does, but my battery life is more important.

I have noticed that my battery doesn't last as long as it did when I first got my t600 in December, and recently I have installed the battery graph program, and I saw graphically why my battery dies so fast. My battery graph shows drop-offs at the times that I am on the phone, specifically when the phone rings (not while I am talking).
    I have my graph set to show the last 1 day, and I normally see a straight line accross with the occassional slope to a lower percentage of battery life, the times when I am just looking at my callendar or browsing the internet. But when I get a call and answer it, no matter how long the conversation is, the graph shows a straight line going down. Sometimes it is a 5% drop in battery percentage, and sometimes it is 10% or 15%. The fact of the matter is that it is an INSTANTANEOUS drop that should exist. This brings me to my next point. I have seen instaneous drops as far as 20 to 25%!! This happens when my phone rings and I don't answer, and a new voicemail comes in. What does that mean? That means that I have an MP3 song set for the known and unknown caller ID, and I also have an MP3 song for the voicemail notification.

I was in denial for a LONG time about this, because I was one of the first to purchase the LightWAV program. I love the program, and I love walking thru quiet places or stores when someone calls me - it gives me a chance to brag about this wonderful phone. Don't get me wrong, after 1 day of deleting LightWAV, I might install it again just because I miss bragging. BUT, I'm tired of coming to work with 50% battery life, fully expecting to make it thru the day without having to charge the phone, and suddenly receiving a call that I miss and getting the caller's voicemail notification, then coming back to see that my phone now has 34% battery life!!!

Coincidence? I don't think it is. Last night I disabled and deleted LightWAV. Then I reset the phone. Then I charged it. All of this to make the slate clean.
    Today, I am happy to see that I have gone thru 3 incoming calls, all lasted under 3 minutes, and 1 alarm in the morning (that normally used LightWAV) - and from 8AM to 3:30PM I have 95% on my battery life!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am not very proud of it, but I am back to the bland midi ringtones

Which brings me to this point:
    Outside of Handspring/Palmone, my two favorite people in the world are Toysoft and Seidio, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I was an early adopter for each of their products in the case of the T600 phone, and I have seen their progress. I have also given them the chance to make their products better - and was NOT let down in any case!! LightWAV to me is still one of the best damn programs availble for the T600 phone. But now I need help.
    First, am I correct at assumong LightWAV kills the t600 battery? Is the culprit LightWAV, or is it PTunes 2.3 deluxe? Or is it just my imagination?
    Second, if the problem has been identified, was it fixed in a later release of LightWAV or PTunes?

I can't wait to get back to MP3 ringtones and alarms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What battery graph program did you use. I would like to try something and need a program like this.

Thanks
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I haven't used Callfilter since I don't really need filtering, I just want MP3 ringtones. What do you like or not like about Callfilter compared to Lightwav? Can you assign individual ringtones in Callfilter also?
    My ONLY complaint about Lightwav was that it froze my screen when I had an incoming call. Not every time, but enough times that I looked for other options. Callfilter will allow you to assign individual ringtones and it also does a whole lot more. I really wanted to use Lightwav but the freezing was too frustrating.
    I am a big fan of CallFilter 1.2.

VWare is releasing a new version 1.2.1 that should address most bugs. Check his forum on mytreo.net occassionally.

http://mytreo.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=vware

Cheers
    Until I installed LightWav 3.0, it was the most problematic app on my Treo. LightWav 3.0 seems to has finally got it right, I'm glad the updates were free otherwise I would have moved on long ago.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I have been seeing battery drain lately but I tracked it down to another program (FastForward). How big is your phonebook? I know that LW has to work very hard to match the incoming number with an entry in your phone book because I believe LW is doing a sequential search of the entire phonebook if you have an unknown caller. I can see this causing a battery drain if you have a large number of entries. The same might be true if you have a large number of MP3/WAV's. Just a couple of thoughts.....

I have not seen the battery issue but then again I haven't really been looking for it either. Do you have the same battery problem when you just listen to MP3's through pTunes?
    Listening to MP3s, or even watching movies thru MMplayer don't make the graph suddenly drop, it's more like a constant slope of battery drain with those two programs.

BTW, I have gone thru 6 more hours of phone usage - 4 answered incoming calls - 3 unanswered incoming calls - 1 voicemail left - 6 outgoing calls - about 15 minutes of MP3s thru PTunes - and about 5 minutes of email checking, and my battery has gone from 95% to 78% today!!!!
    All of the calls were short, but with the same usage with LW still enabled, I could easily be at about 60% right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Don't get me wrong, I have tried CallFilter, and even after seeing the battery issue with LightWAV, I prefer LightWAV over CallFilter - I think LW is superior over CF, simply because of the DEDICATION I have seen directly on this forum by LW!! Like I said, I was one of the first ones with the program, and support was very good (my understatement of the day), from the beginning.

The problem that I have is choosing having the MP3 ringtones - which I think is accomplished very well by LW, or choosing having a longer battery life. I have started using this phone/Walkman/GameBoy/PDA/Camera/cardreader/modem/voice recorder just a little bit more lately (if you get my drift). Battery life has become an issue.

Bottom line:
    If I wanted MP3 ringtones, I'd choose LightWAV over CF.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzydiver
    What battery graph program did you use. I would like to try something and need a program like this.

Thanks
    http://mytreo.net/mytreo/modules.php...ph_v1.21&cid=2

(hopefully the link works)
    Damn good program, BTW.

Again, the problem could be PTunes. I just want to know which program is causing the battery drain so that I can give them the fairness of fixing it, before going to a different program. I personally believe that good product support should be rewarded by good customers...............................
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    Until I installed LightWav 3.0, it was the most problematic app on my Treo. LightWav 3.0 seems to has finally got it right, I'm glad the updates were free otherwise I would have moved on long ago.
    Agreed.

I overlooked the problems they had at the beginning because they proved their dedication at getting it right, and their updates were free during that time (still are). They were constantly on the forum, and that meant a lot to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    And thank you, rossoneri, for changing that horrible avatar to something human.
    never watched office space i take it. the avatar represents one of the funniest moments in the movie where he beats up a fax machine/printer

i'll change it back soon, just for you.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Phone happy now.
    Lightwav has had some occasional bugs for me but for the most part it works well. If you just want MP3 ringers, I think Phone Technician does that for free.
    One thing to remember is that each time ptunes plays a song it uses battery. Just imagine if you have a 30 seconds song and you are not there to answer the call. ptunes will play until the caller hangs up. As an example if you get several missed calls then the battery will be less.

Lwav doesnt do anything when the phone is turned off.

If you for sure it is lwav draining your battery here is a test you can do and run lwav for a day or so.

1. remove all ringtones and alarms from lwav including contacts and groups
    2. remove all video and picture callerIDs
    3. enable lwav
    4. go back to the Phone Sound Prefs and reassign your known can unknown callers

the above will just make lwav enabled and will not use any sound or picture id.

if by end of the day your Treo is dead or very low battery then something is wrong. The next test is to erase everything and just put lwav on and repeat the above test. I know you may not want to do this. If we have the same problem as you we would have fixed the problem already.

Here is what PalmOne recommends to for users with battery problem.

To help isolate the issue, I’d recommend doing a battery disconnect reset. This will erase all data so backup first and then follow the below instructions:

1. Disconnect your Treo 600 from the AC charger.

2. Hold down the K and Backspace keys simultaneously. (Note: for French AZERTY keyboard, press K and M; for other language overlays, please refer to the customer support for your region)

3. While continuing to hold down the K and Backspace keys, press the RESET button inside the hole on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?).

4. Finding it hard to do? Good. We made this type of reset very awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident when your Treo 600 is jostling around in a pocket or bag. Sorry for the inconvenience. You might want to enlist the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult.

5. Continue holding down K and Backspace. The screen will flash white briefly, and then go black. Release K and Backspace after this happens.

6. To revive your Treo 600, connect it to the AC charger and plug the charger into a socket. The screen will stay blank for several seconds (as long as half a minute), then it will turn on. The LED will glow solid red, indicating charging.

7. Finally, follow the steps for recovering after a hard reset (a battery disconnect reset is a type of hard reset).

Do NOT restore your data and see if you still see the battery drain issue (to make sure it’s not software).
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast