Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Mordeloth
    Mordeloth's Avatar
       #1  
    Since all of the registration codes seem bound to a particular treo, do you have to contact technical support for every program you've registered and get a new code?
  2. #2  
    no, just restore your existing treo config onto the new one... it will literally be as if nothing had changed except the ESN, which is unavailable to most apps anyway...
  3. #3  
    Most registrations are stored in encrypted preference entries in a file stored on your Treo called Saved Preferences. This file gets saved onto your desktop pc whenever you HotSync. If you swap your handheld or replace it, the restoration HotSync puts the file on your new handheld.
  4. #4  
    Only a few software developers implement registration schemes based on hardware serial numbers. SmartphoneTools and Handwatch are two developers who need to be contacted when you replace your phone. The former actually requires you to fax in proof that you've replaced your phone and that is the reason I didn't purchase PhoneToolsPro.

    Fortunately, other developers use Hotsync IDs or other ways to protect their software.
  5. #5  
    All the above true. But you will also need to make sure you name the new Treo's data base the same as your current one. Several programs use the data base name as part of the key generator for a reg key. I seem to remember being asked if I wanted to use the same data base name when I installed the 600 software.
  6. #6  
    As stated above it's your Treo's user name (the name you create when you first hot-sync) which most software codes are based on. As long as you name the new Treo the same as your old one you should be fine.

    From what I've found a sure fire way to do this is when you first hot-sync the replacement Treo just select the old user name when prompted. The Palm desktop will simply think that your Treo has been hard reset and restore the new Treo thinking it's the old one.

    In addition, some software developers have areas on their web site where you can create a new registration code. Iambic, is a good example. There is an area in their support section for "new device."
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    As stated above it's your Treo's user name (the name you create when you first hot-sync) which most software codes are based on. As long as you name the new Treo the same as your old one you should be fine.
    Keep in mind that the install program will strongly discourage you (threaten sterility for your first born) from naming the new phone the same as the old one.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Keep in mind that the install program will strongly discourage you (threaten sterility for your first born) from naming the new phone the same as the old one.
    Mine didnt say a word, just an option box. Clicked on the old name, I think.
  9. #9  
  10. #10  
    DeanC, this is your final warning. don't post empty posts anymore or we'll revoke your posting rights all together.
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  11. #11  
    dude chill see my other post as to why your forum is faulty.
    if you are wanting to send people to the forums at www.mytreo.net you are going about it the right way.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by deanc
    dude chill see my other post as to why your forum is faulty.
    if you are wanting to send people to the forums at www.mytreo.net you are going about it the right way.
    Dude,
    Our posts must have crossed each other.. if you look int he other one I told you to ignore this message...
    Next time if a mod sends you a PM try to respond to it so we can avoid situations like this...
    I don't want to send people anywhere, but when they come here I expect them to behave simple, If I point a person out to a problem twice and he does it again he gets a warning... and I think I've been very generous in giving people 3 chances...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    DeanC, this is your final warning. don't post empty posts anymore or we'll revoke your posting rights all together.
    DeanC, I post empty all the time. I am seventy and my fingers do not always do what I intend. I simply delete them after the fact. VisorCentral is off her meds.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I am seventy and my fingers do not always do what I intend.
    I LOVE techie-seniors. You are my role-model, whmurray!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I LOVE techie-seniors. You are my role-model, whmurray!
    Hang in, baby. We do it one day at a time. That said, I am happy, healthy, handsome, prosperous, beloved, fit, and grateful.

Posting Permissions