1.    #1  
    Any way to covert AAC (itunes) format to MP3? I have tons of "protected" music bought from Apple's "Istore", and would really like to convert it to a format that will play on the 600. I tried DB Power Amp Converter and it will not work? Any suggestons?
    It's a bit cumbersome, but you can burn to a CD then rip with your choice of ripping software (even iTunes).
    If the file is one you ripped yourself, you can convert it right within iTunes. If you purchased it through the iTunes music store, you have to burn it to a CD first, then rip it.
    You can also use hymn (http://hymn-project.org/) to unprotect them, and then convert them to mp3.
  5.    #5  
    I downloaded hymm, and read the readme text file. Looks to be just what I need, however I cannot get it to work. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings
    Any way to covert AAC (itunes) format to MP3? I have tons of "protected" music bought from Apple's "Istore", and would really like to convert it to a format that will play on the 600. I tried DB Power Amp Converter and it will not work? Any suggestons?

dBpowerAMP can convert directly from AAC to mp3...however I'm not sure about DRM's files...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    When I use dBpowerAmp I get a message saying the file "could not be converted because protected files cannot be converted to other formats"......
    Try Apple's own iMovie to "export" any imported (protected) song from the iTunes Music Store. You can then choose from 2 different output formats that will NOT be recompressed.
    convert DRM AAC files to MP3 in iTunes on the Mac with:

http://www.blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-LAME/
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    If it's a song that you ripped yourself...do you lose quality when you convert from AAC to MP3 within iTunes.
    Yes, because MP3 is a compressed file format.

If you use iMovie to "Export...", you will not be recompressing an already compressed file using technology that is substandard (that of any MP3 compressor). In compressing the file to MP3, you are exacerbating the problem.

Exporting from iMovie will not recompress. It will give you a resulting AAC file with no DRM(shhh) or give you an uncompressed WAV file, your choice.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    If you bought the song from iTunes, it's an ACC file that's inside a DRM wrapper.

Hymn project should removed the DRM, leaving you with a standard ACC file, that you can then convert using most audio editing programs.

The other alternative, as discussed, is to use iTunes to burn an AUDIO cd of your DRM-protected songs-- since you can't do DRM for a standard CD, iTunes has to remove the song from the DRM wrapper to make the CD. You can then rip the CD to MP3 just like any other audio CD in your collection.

Will cost you money and probably lead to another piece of plastic for the landfills, but it will work.

What problem did you have with Hymn? Worked perfectly for me. Had to download a filter for WinAmp, but other than that, no issues.
    I saw this app, VirtualCD, at http://www.virtualcd-online.com/. I am wondering if you can use it to burn AAC files to a 'Virtual' CD on your hard disk instead of a physical CD and then rip them from the 'virtual' CD in MP3 format.

Anyone want to try this and see? Someone more technical than me can maybe figure it out.
    Last edited by experiment626; 08/27/2004 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo in url
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    convert DRM AAC files to MP3 in iTunes on the Mac with:

http://www.blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-LAME/
    I have previously successfully used LAME to convert iTunes purchased AAC files to MP3 for PocketTunes playing, but for some reason, today's purchases and subsequent conversions will not play in PocketTunes!

Is anyone else having this issue or can someone make a recommendation?
    Ndugu
    You can do this from within iTunes.
    1) Make sure iTunes->Preferences->Importing is set to MP3
    2) Select the song(s) you want to convert, and select Advanced->Convert Selection to MP3

Thanks,
    Peter