Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    If it's a bulk discount, then I see less morally wrong with lying for some reason.

You have got to be kidding. When is lying EVER acceptabel and anyting other than immoral. I am sorry but is lying to your wife about an affair less morally wrong then having had the affiar?

Is lying about your education to get a job less morally wrong than laying to your child? Lysing is Lying and is immoral not matter how/why uou do it.

Bigtex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    1. The RIAA isn't a corporation; it's an industry association representing many corporations, large and small.
    2. Yes, of course you are a criminal if you steal things, even if you "don't have the money". The solution is simple: do without luxury goods and services until you can afford them.
    3. If you don't like Microsoft, you can avoid their products by using open source or competing products. But if you love Microsoft's products too much to do this, then stop complaining. Buy some stock in the company and share in the profits.
    Microsoft has crippled the economy....

ROFLMAO.. Oh god I cant breathe, make it stop.

I would say that is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard but someone migh take it as a personal attack, so I won't.

How do you print out a thread? I have to show this to the guys at the office.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    lol!

all this talk!

back and forth!

has anyone sent an email to the company notifying them that the barn door is open???
    I've heard this so many times in the past.

Hey..."I got over" on them...that's cool!

Basically, with people like that it's fine to "Get Over" which is short for lying and/or stealing when you are doing it from someone else. The second someone "Gets Over" on you then they suck and should go to jail or worse.

So, lie to Sprint and get a discount. Hey, when they overcharge you to make a few extra bucks that's cool too?

Try a little honor and integrity...who knows it might catch on. Maybe your kids will see it in you...or your neighbor. Maybe not...but you tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    You have got to be kidding. When is lying EVER acceptabel and anyting other than immoral. I am sorry but is lying to your wife about an affair less morally wrong then having had the affiar?

Is lying about your education to get a job less morally wrong than laying to your child? Lysing is Lying and is immoral not matter how/why uou do it.

Bigtex
    Wow did you take it out of context?!?! Those two things are far more down the immoral scale first of all. What this would be more akin to is the following situation:

Say that you go to the grocery store and you get overcharged on a product by $5. For some reason the grocery store isn't able to refund you that money back (perhaps their systems are incapablie). You are unhappy, but it's the only grocery store in your area, so you grudgely continue to use it. The next week they undercharge you by $5, and you notice it. You could (and should morally) tell them about their error and give them the money back or you could keep your mouth shut (even though it's immoral) to "right" the previous wrong. Wouldn't this "wrong" equal out the other "wrong"?

For a minute let's not focus on the lying and focus on the morality of two people paying different prices for the same service. ScottR came up with a reasonable explanation via advertising.

I like the lying is lying black/white world. I hope your wife has never asked you one of those questions where she's fishing for the answer she wants to hear.

And to answer one of your questions, yes lying about having an affair (as long as you didn't have one) is far less morally wrong in my book than having an affair. Though I wouldn't know why someone would make up a lie about having an affair they didn't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    two wrongs dont make a right. Never have.
    And my pithy saying to respond to that is "two negatives make a positive."

I was hoping to go deeper than simple sayings.
    My point in all this is that perhaps we shouldn't be lying, but instead sending a message to Sprint that we deserve the same prices as some worker for Chevron. Maybe we can even form a TreoCentral Forum corporation that does nothing other than get a discounted rated from Sprint. That wouldn't be lying, but it would right the wrong of person x paying $y for z service and us paying $y+$y1 for z service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    How does name calling and putting people down (being harsh) fit into being part of the solution? It may alienate and serve someone to be quiet, but it doesn't make 'em stop -they just go away and stop listening to you.

Oh, and I bet there are more than a few lawyers who would smile after reading, "the world runs on trust."
    Trib,
    If you are a thief, or endorse it, you have earned the right to be "called names and put down".

It is not intended to make them stop - people only stop behaviors when they choose to or are forced to. All I am doing is calling a spade a spade and giving my opinion.

And yes, the world does run on trust. Lawyers would completely agree on that - the trust/faith you put into contracts, agreements, etc. Everything is predicated that the fabric of peoples moral character, and the "infrastructure" and culture can be trusted to operate based on agreed upon norms.

An when I say trust, I don't mean naive, foolish, uncondidtional trust. I'm talking as a macro lvel.

As the saying goes, trust, but verify.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Why is it that when someone speaks out against unethical behavior they are being "preachy"? Why can't it be that we don't like unethical behavior? Besides, I would rather see peer pressure from fellow Treo users applied than an official entity of some sort trying to make someone see the error of their ways.
    Nuff Said!
    I was thinking about this thread some more and I was curious as to whether these companies pay Sprint for the discount or if it's some sort of bulk discount. If it's a bulk discount, then I see less morally wrong with lying for some reason. I think it's just that I believe if John Smith who works for Chevron gets to pay $x amount for y service, I should pay the same for the same service. By not giving me the same rate, isn't Sprint basically discriminating against me for not working at one of their preferred companies? And if that is the case, would it be really wrong of me to add a wrong (lying about the company I work for) to a wrong (their company discrimination) to make a right?

Any thoughts on this view? How would you feel if Amazon.com charged different prices based on something arbitrary (I consider the company that I work for to be arbitrary).

These contracts/rates are just agreed upon business contracts. Sprint thinks they will get a lot of volume, so they discount accordingly.

Nothing special here.
    And my pithy saying to respond to that is "two negatives make a positive."

I was hoping to go deeper than simple sayings.

Why cause I was right?

Besides this isnt math class.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Microsoft has crippled the economy....

ROFLMAO.. Oh god I cant breathe, make it stop.

I would say that is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard but someone migh take it as a personal attack, so I won't.

How do you print out a thread? I have to show this to the guys at the office.

Total agreement...what tardfest of jumbled synapse came up with that comment regarding MS?

Sure, you might not like them, but they have contributed positively to the economy.
    Wow did you take it out of context?!?! Those two things are far more down the immoral scale first of all. What this would be more akin to is the following situation:

Say that you go to the grocery store and you get overcharged on a product by $5. For some reason the grocery store isn't able to refund you that money back (perhaps their systems are incapablie). You are unhappy, but it's the only grocery store in your area, so you grudgely continue to use it. The next week they undercharge you by $5, and you notice it. You could (and should morally) tell them about their error and give them the money back or you could keep your mouth shut (even though it's immoral) to "right" the previous wrong. Wouldn't this "wrong" equal out the other "wrong"?

For a minute let's not focus on the lying and focus on the morality of two people paying different prices for the same service. ScottR came up with a reasonable explanation via advertising.

I like the lying is lying black/white world. I hope your wife has never asked you one of those questions where she's fishing for the answer she wants to hear.

And to answer one of your questions, yes lying about having an affair (as long as you didn't have one) is far less morally wrong in my book than having an affair. Though I wouldn't know why someone would make up a lie about having an affair they didn't have.
    So now two wrongs make the right? HesusHCristo!

I love watching people rationalize being a thief/dishonest/lying/etc.

Can't even be honest with yourself. Pathetic.
    Why cause I was right?

Besides this isnt math class.
    By saying you are right doesn't make you right. I happen to agree with you to a large extent in most cases, but in cases I listed (the grocery store one), two wrongs do indeed make a right. It's a case by case scenario.

By that two wrongs don't make a right theory it would be wrong to kill somone in while defending someone attacking your own life. Your theory says, "Oh well it would be immoral to attack back, so I suppose I'll just die."
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    So now two wrongs make the right? HesusHCristo!

I love watching people rationalize being a thief/dishonest/lying/etc.

Can't even be honest with yourself. Pathetic.
    If you follow the thread, I said I'm not doing any of this - I pay the prices posted on www.Sprintpcs.com (save being grandfathered by Sprint for a $10 data plan). I'm trying to explore morals. Yeah, I'm taking the thread a little of it's intended course. That's the worst thing I'm guilty of here.

I love people who just assume that if you ask questions you are a guilty thief.
    These contracts/rates are just agreed upon business contracts. Sprint thinks they will get a lot of volume, so they discount accordingly.

Nothing special here.
    So how do we get Sprint to agree on a contract with TreoCentral users?

I agree that it's not special, but I want in on the good rates, in a fair and legit way.
    If you follow the thread, I said I'm not doing any of this - I pay the prices posted on www.Sprintpcs.com (save being grandfathered by Sprint for a $10 data plan). I'm trying to explore morals. Yeah, I'm taking the thread a little of it's intended course. That's the worst thing I'm guilty of here.

I love people who just assume that if you ask questions you are a guilty thief.

I did follow the thread, but the repsonse was to your exact post (a statement/proposal, not a question).(the store example, overpay, underpay).

It does not make it right if you knowingly keep the extra $5, not matter how you rationalize it. You have now proceeded down the slipperly slope of dellusion...
    So how do we get Sprint to agree on a contract with TreoCentral users?

I agree that it's not special, but I want in on the good rates, in a fair and legit way.
    Here's how

TC owner call their Sprint Biz Rep.
    Ask if this can be done somehow.
    I did follow the thread, but the repsonse was to your exact post (a statement/proposal, not a question).(the store example, overpay, underpay).

It does not make it right if you knowingly keep the extra $5, not matter how you rationalize it. You have now proceeded down the slipperly slope of dellusion...
    if you changed your plan, you would lose your $10 data ;-)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast