Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hello everyone, i have a verizon treo 600 and whenever i am browsing the web or on irc/vnc basically using any app that goes on the internet i cannot recieve phone calls. I can make outgoing calls but not recieve any unless i completely shut down the data connection on the phone, is this normal? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by touser
    Hello everyone, i have a verizon treo 600 and whenever i am browsing the web or on irc/vnc basically using any app that goes on the internet i cannot recieve phone calls. I can make outgoing calls but not recieve any unless i completely shut down the data connection on the phone, is this normal? Thanks in advance!
    Yes, this is a normal occurence.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    And before we get 50 posts from people saying, "I thought the GSM Treo temporarily halts the data connection to allow an incoming call...". The answer is no it doesn't!
    not this again
    Yea I can receive calls while the GPRS connection is open. I never tried using the internet while on phone yet tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    And before we get 50 posts from people saying, "I thought the GSM Treo temporarily halts the data connection to allow an incoming call...". The answer is no it doesn't!
    Really? I was under the impression that it did. Please explain.
    CDMA2000 phase 1 1xrtt does not allow simulaneous voice and data transfers. You will have to wait until providers finally rollout 1xEvDv for that.

The GSM Treo 600 is a Class B GSM device. Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, however they only use ONE service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended. Only Class A GSM phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The GSM Treo 600 is a Class B GSM device.
    Hey, gfunk -- can you clarify the whole "But I recieve incoming calls on my GSM Treo while I'm surfing the Internet" thing? As I understand it, both GSM and CDMA handsets cannot recieve an incoming call when data transmission/reception is active, but GPRS has much more succinct instances of activity, which causes fewer incoming calls to be routed to voicemail giving the impression that data sessions do not precude receiving incoming calls. Is that correct?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Snerdy, I think you're correct on this. Neither can do simultaneous data/voice, but for some reason the GSM Treo's seem to drop the active data session much quicker than the CDMA Treo's.
    Thanks, Minsc.
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Snerdy, I think you're correct on this. Neither can do simultaneous data/voice, but for some reason the GSM Treo's seem to drop the active data session much quicker than the CDMA Treo's.
    That's probably a good guess Minsc. Although I personally have never noticed any increased latency in dropping active data connections on my Sprint Treo600...

Hey, gfunk -- can you clarify the whole "But I recieve incoming calls on my GSM Treo while I'm surfing the Internet" thing? As I understand it, both GSM and CDMA handsets cannot recieve an incoming call when data transmission/reception is active, but GPRS has much more succinct instances of activity, which causes fewer incoming calls to be routed to voicemail giving the impression that data sessions do not precude receiving incoming calls. Is that correct?
    This might be a good question to ask the the expert at hofo's. For instance, I have noticed many times that my Sprint Treo randomly makes active data connections for no apparent reasons, even when I disable backround apps like email etc. It may seem reasonable that cdma may require more backround active connections than gprs, but I really don't know. I'll post more here as soon I get more info!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions