1.    #1  
    I am having problems like you would not believe. Last Friday, my Treo took a dump. I had not pushed that special button on back and for some reason all of my "stuff" was gone (i.e., phone numbers etc.) Thankfully, I has hot sync'd it recently. I was able to restore it. HOwever, it happened again. I am wondering if anyone is having the same problem? If anyone know how to stop the hard reset from randomly developing a mind of it's own? Does anyone know why this might have happened? Do you think my Treo is defective? I tried to look for an old thread about this, but couldn't. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me. I have become absolutely dependent and enamoured of this device in the three months I have had it. And, yes, I have the insurance.

Daisy
    Did you install any software right before this started happening?
  3.    #3  
    Nothing new. I am a bore. I do not get ringers or anything like that. I am still learning (I am new a this). I am a total technophile... I asked my co-worker about this sincce he has a Treo 300, he asked me if i pushed the pin in on the back. I had not. I swear I'm gonna cry.
    I will be on my third treo 600 when I get my new one this week(over a one year period). My first one had a known defect. A loose screw that you could actually hear bouncing inside the case everytime you turned the phone over. It was causing some kind of short every couple of weeks that left me in the state you described, no data, starting from scratch. I too was lucky because I regularly hot sync which I recommend to anyone with this phone. My second one has sucked since the sprint 1.2 update. I finished it off when I droped it in an ice bucket. Long story. Despite all, I am still in love and hopelessly addicted to it.

Alex Mathews is correct. 95% of the issues are new software related. I have had problems with Klondike, MovieRec, and Filez(although I am the only one who has had issues with filez).

Defective phones are the rest of the problems. Do like the book says. Delete everything new and add it one by one, you will almost surely find your problem. What is strange to me is that everyone with issues do not have issues with the same software. There must me some deadly combinations of software out there like downers and alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by upyourask
    Nothing new. I am a bore. I do not get ringers or anything like that. I am still learning (I am new a this). I am a total technophile... I asked my co-worker about this sincce he has a Treo 300, he asked me if i pushed the pin in on the back. I had not. I swear I'm gonna cry.

Please dry your eyes. We have not exhausted suggestions yet.

First, this is probably a software problem. While one can imagine the hardware failing in this manner, this kind of problem is so often caused by software and so rarely by hardware that it is not time to panic. These software problems can usually be resolved by regressing the system to an earlier but working state.

Second, even it is a hardware problem it will be fixed under warranty and promptly.

While there are lots of things that we could tell you to try, the best thing to do now is to call your vendor or service provider's support desk and let them help you trouble shoot it. They will decide whether or not a replacement is required.
  6.    #6  
    good ideas. thank you so much. i ws hoping to fix it myself. now that everyting is gone... it will be easy to reinstall everything. but the only stuff i am going to install is ptunes, which i haven't used yet. (and i will as soon as i can figure out how to turn my mp4 files into omm files... my fear is that the mp4 filles on my computer will all be permenantly oomm files and the mp4s will be lost and will not be useable with my iPod.... totally different issue) the data is the only other "stuff" which needs to be restored. i will contact my vendor first. see what kind of "solution" they come up with. i feel more hopeful with (the very quick) and knowledgeable advice I have been given. thanks again.
    Daisy
    Don't worry about ptunes. It the one application I have never had problems with. I have used it from the beginning, and every upgrade since.