1.    #1  
    I am looking for an audio recorder for my treo 600 to record a 2 hour concert onto my SD card. Most of the recorders out are for voice and not really music, their rate is at 22kbps at most. Audacity pro which seemed to be the best recorder, only records at 8kbps in their propietary format, and 22kbs in PCM format. Any suggestions on what to use and which settings? I know that I need a high speed SD card for this to work.
    Audacity Professional does produce very good results, but consider this. To record a 2 hour concert at PCM 22 kHz creates a file of over 300 MB. That is a pretty big file. Even the fast cards may have a problem with data rates above 22 kHz. The Treo has a pretty good Microphone, but to record a concert, you probably need an even better one. You can't record with an external mic on the Treo.
    I've wondered... if you plug in an external headset, it uses the external mic on that. If you plug in an external headset and use a voice recorder app, why wouldn't it use the external one (doesn't it bypass the onboard?) If so, I would assume you could rig up something that uses a minijack like the headset, but splices into a real mic?
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
  4.    #4  
    So basically the Treo isn't going to fill my need.
    Anyone have other ways they record concerts? I know this is getting off topic but it links back to my original question.
    Has anyone ever used an iRiver MP3 player? I know people record lectures with those.
    Check out http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

Not much use for treo owners. But still very cool.

Steve
    Tried using the treo to casually record a concert (no deluded visions of professional quality - otherwise I'd be buying the technology mentioned in my post above this one).

Not surprisingly, the built in microphone just can't cope with the high volume levels present in a concert - you get a very distorted recording.

I'd be interested in knowing how a half decent microphone would work plugged into the mic socket. I'm not sure how much the rest of the treo electronics would interfere with the quality of the recorded audio (I'm sure the A/D conversion hardware wasn't designed with recording in mind). Anybody had any experience with using external mics and recording software?

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2
    Not surprisingly, the built in microphone just can't cope with the high volume levels present in a concert - you get a very distorted recording.
    I tried recording a live rock show with the 650 and SoundRec 1.07D (free). It does have a 44.1KHz setting (CD quality), but the recording volume was too hot for the built-in mic even with the lowest record level setting (1) in SoundRec.

Is there any way to pad the Treo's built-in mic via software? The fidelity is great when the source material is not too loud (i.e. live music). And a good-sounding mono recording is ok with me (do not want to carry a bunch of external gear).
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxie
    I tried recording a live rock show with the 650 and SoundRec 1.07D (free). It does have a 44.1KHz setting (CD quality), but the recording volume was too hot for the built-in mic even with the lowest record level setting (1) in SoundRec.

Is there any way to pad the Treo's built-in mic via software? The fidelity is great when the source material is not too loud (i.e. live music). And a good-sounding mono recording is ok with me (do not want to carry a bunch of external gear).
    I'm sure there's a way technically - I just haven't seen an app with this capability yet. I too would love such functionality.
    Would there be a problem rigging an external mike thru the headset jack? I thought that the phone audio and the system/software audio was separate within the Treo.
    Yup..I've tried recording a concert with the Treo as well and I got mostly static -- too loud.

I'd definitely be interested if somebody found a solution...software or microphone enhanced, whichever.