1.    #1  
    I posted this in the HARDWARE section, but thought it would be more fitting here.

I'm very close to getting a Treo 600. The only thing holding me back is that I haven't seen one play back video (stores are happy to turn one on for me, but the Treo doesn't come with any encoded video samples). I'm a motion graphic designer currently carrying my portfolio around on an ipaq 1930. All files are encoded with Windows Media Producer, 193kbps, 20fps, 320x240. Playback is great, very smooth. I recently borrowed a Nokia 3600 from a client to test the video playback. The highest encode settings I could use without the video getting choppy on playback was with Discreet Cleaner encoding to Real video, 128kbps, 10fps, 176x144. The playback is ok, but nothing I would jump up and down about. What kind of playback can you get from a Treo 600? Can you get above 12fps? Over 128 Kbps?
    Treo 600's only 160x160, so obviously u'd go 160x120. most of my videos are either 10fps or 15fps, I got one 23.997 fps video to play flawlessly. 128kbps seems to be the max, plus 64kbps audio.

Donald
    Oh yes this is in MPEG-4 (xVid, it's much better than divx for portable content) and mmPlayer ($14.95 at www.mmplayer.com)
    Donald is right on the money. The movies I use are 128kbps 15fps 160x120.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Donald is right on the money. The movies I use are 128kbps 15fps 160x120.
    I'm able to record 24fps on my treo without a problem. Even tried 320 x 140 res and can still play it. I'm using pocketDVD to convert and mmplayer to play it on my Treo. Recorded on Trancend 45x card. 160x120 res works best. 320x140 sometimes the video is delayed.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies. I couldn't wait anymore. My head was going to explode so I went out today and bought one. Just downloaded mmplayer and Kinoma. I've only been using some sample videos which I downloaded from the sites. Can't say that I'm really impressed yet, but I haven't tried encoding anything myself. I take it, mmplayer is the favorite?
    mmplayer uses smaller files and is a lot more flexible, the trade off is that mmplayer is a wee bit more difficult to make movies for than kinoma.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Actually Pocket-DVD can convert your movies into avi that will play on your Treo using MMplayer. It's very easy to use. Palmgear is giving 25% off if you buy 2 or more software equaling to $25 or more, so I bought MMplayer and Pocket-dvd for a total of $35.21.

MMPlayer
    Price: $11.21
    Pocket-DVD Studio for Palm
    Price: $24.00

I've been watching charlie's angel on my Treo. When I drive I use the Aux input on my car stereo to allow the sound to come through my car speakers. Who needs a $1000 in-dash DVD player ( I know it doesn't really compare but I'm content).
  9.    #9  
    I tried MMPlayer and it kept crashing my Treo. I use Discreet cleaner to encode most of my video, and I found out that it has a Kinoma encoding preset. I encode my own work (I'm a motion graphic designer), not DVDs. So far I've had no complaints about the video player except that the file sizes are rather large. Huge compared to Windows Media files. The only thing I miss about my iPaq 1935. Kinoma producer looks pretty low end so I haven't really bothered with it. Here's an encoded version of a job I'm currently designing. As said above, I use Discreet Cleaner to encode the files for Kinoma.
    Attached Files Attached Files