Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. gcs
    Hi,

So it seems mac.com's imap server doesn't do the idle thing, so I was thinking...

Right now, my mac.com mail forwards all messages to my sms address, I use TreoHelper to intercept the sms messages and trigger SnapperMail to fetch them from mac.com. This works perfectly except when someone sends me a large email! Sprint bounces the message back!

If I were to signup with fastmail, do you think it would be possible to have my fastmail account trigger an imap mail sync with a DIFFERENT server (e.g. my mac.com server)?

This would get me the push while still using my "real" imap server. Think of the fastmail account as a "trigger" account (or a push account)?

What do you think?

George
    Last edited by gcs; 08/23/2004 at 11:24 AM.
    Good question. I'm going to try and look into it.

So you'd like the fastmail to initiate a sync (b/w Treo client and .Mac server) to sync up the mail/folders on your .Mac account?

Quote Originally Posted by gcs
    Hi,

So it seems mac.com's imap server doesn't do the idle thing, so I was thinking...

Right now, my mac.com mail forwards all messages to my sms address, I use TreoHelper to intercept the sms messages and trigger SnapperMail to fetch them from mac.com. This works perfectly except when someone sends me a large email! Sprint bounces the message back!

If I were to signup with fastmail, do you think it would be possible to have my fastmail account trigger an imap mail sync with a DIFFERENT server (e.g. my mac.com server)?

This would get me the push while still using my "real" imap server. Think of the fastmail account as a "trigger" account (or a push account)?

What do you think?

George
    So you're suggesting that a new message at on one folder (at fastmail) might initiate a QSync on another folder? Huh. Interesting idea, and probably not hard at all.

Comments from others??
    This sounds a lot like the Snapper pseudo push. You would set Treohelper to start the mail program based on an SMS with specific wording. You forward a copy of the message to your Sprintpcs email account (or another if you can set it to trigger SMS notification of new mail) and then when that SMS comes in Snapper would start an email poll.
  5. gcs
    Hi Mark,

Exactly! This would get around two things:

- mac.com's imap server doesn't do idle
    - using sms to trigger mail fetching

(Chatter email's looking great BTW, I was an early chatter tester back in the Treo 300 days)

Thanks!
    George

Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    So you're suggesting that a new message at on one folder (at fastmail) might initiate a QSync on another folder? Huh. Interesting idea, and probably not hard at all.

Comments from others??
    It's like the TreoHelper push except doesn't use SMS (which seems cleaner to me). Another plus... You can have fastmail do some filtering, and only trigger the "sync" when mail of interest arrives (of course, you'll get them all from the "triggering" folder, but it wouldn't have to be as often).

Marc
    Sounds interesting, although a bit kludgy. I'm sure it would benefit gcs and some others, but from a software design prespective, it might make the program confusing to configure for the normal case. I guess in the end it all depends on how the option selection screens that allow this are implemented. Such complex/advanced options should be farther away from the user than the mainstream options. Alternatively, this concept could be implemented as part of a more general process. For example, there could be a place to specify a set of actions to take when a folder or a server has new email. One of these actions could be to sync another folder/server.
    silverado - Your last suggestion would be best, I think... Make it an option (like tones, vibrate, LED, screen on, etc..) There would also have to be an option to NOT read mail in the triggering folder!

Marc
    I think you have some great ideas here, but personally I would like to see Chatter mature a little, and concentrate on some of the small things before expanding into advanced options. Like, retaining sort order when Chatter is open, focus to the top and if possible to change the drop down menu at the top to highlight the full word instead of just having the little select square on the left.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    imageone - The sort order, focus to the top are done in b6. And the select thing is coming. I agree there's a fair amount to clean up.

Marc
    Marc,

Can you implement a "Finger" function on Chatter ? I have some clients interested in Chatter (After I showed them your great software). BUT their server can only activate a "Finger" command. Possible ???
    macinfo - Could you explain this a bit more? I'm not sure I understand...

Marc
    Not to drive the question off-track, but I had the same "bounce back" problem until I realized that I should forward to my "@sprintpcs.com" account rather than sms address - in that way, you can set your mail for sms notification without the bounce back.
    A "trigger" folder would be great. My work imap server seems to not maintain connections when my gprs signal is week or slow. Fastmail seems more robust, so it could be a good trigger.
  15. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    Not to drive the question off-track, but I had the same "bounce back" problem until I realized that I should forward to my "@sprintpcs.com" account rather than sms address - in that way, you can set your mail for sms notification without the bounce back.
    Hi,

I just tried emailing myself at 7815551234@sprintpcs.com (obviously not my real number) and it bounced back with the following error:

"unknown or illegal alias"

This really works for you?
    George
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by gcs
    Hi,

I just tried emailing myself at 7815551234@sprintpcs.com (obviously not my real number) and it bounced back with the following error:

"unknown or illegal alias"

This really works for you?
    George
    When I was using Snapper/TreoHelper, I would send mail to the actual Sprint e-mail account: "johndoe@sprintpcs.com" (rather than "1234567@messaging.sprintpcs.com"), with the mail sent to SMS notification. The e-mail then triggered an SMS message to the phone, in order to trigger TreoHelper and then Snappermail.

Because the Sprint mail account supports attachments (and the "@messaging..." SMS notification doesn't), there was no bouncing back of e-mails.
    Seems like your trying to reinvent the wheel. There is already an established way of doing this with SMS that a lot of people use (via treohelper and their palm email app of choice). Doesn't it make more sense for chatter to support the existing system that many people are already familiar with and there is existing documentation on how to setup?

Now that Marc has added the quicksync all capability all we need is whatever glue is required to allow treohelper to call it.

-Mike
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Not sure the right place to post this, but this thread seem to be becoming a place for such things. For me I would love to see the following:

1) CRAM-MD5 support in SMTP Auth. This is the only reason that I have not switched to Chatter Email. It's a must-have for me.

2) I'd love to strip the beginning part of all folder names (other than INBOX itelf). All of my folders are given the prefix "INBOX." by my IMAP server. Since screen space is at a premium, it would be helpful to strip that prefix. This could be a config option to let people enter their prefix (if they want it stripped).

3) For the "__ Days" feature, it would be nice to NOT have older messages
    remain on the Treo. I would like to have a folder that syncs all messages
    for XXX days, but any messages older than that are kept on the server but
    NOT on the treo.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by mcomb
    Seems like your trying to reinvent the wheel. There is already an established way of doing this with SMS that a lot of people use (via treohelper and their palm email app of choice). Doesn't it make more sense for chatter to support the existing system that many people are already familiar with and there is existing documentation on how to setup?

Now that Marc has added the quicksync all capability all we need is whatever glue is required to allow treohelper to call it.

-Mike
    Your idea of not reinventing the wheel is valid, except TreoHelper 0.70 (the most current from what I can tell, and not updated for a very long time) does not list ChatterMail in it's picklist of [email] programs to start upon receipt of a trigger SMS. Because of this, I think it is best for Marc to implement this functionality. This would allow ChatterMail to perform in a "psuhlike" way for users who use POP3, and would also allow IMAP users without IDLE, but with a way to send an SMS trigger, to get "push" email.

[Currently I'm evaluating ChatterMail (as a possible alternative to upgrading my SnapperMail 1.X Lite to SnapperMail 2.x Premier). So far, I haven't been able to get the beta "Ver: 1.1.3b7[95:48] Oct 8 2005 @ 16:35:05" to grab the SMS trigger ahead of the default Treo600 (sprint) SMS application. (Yes, I have TreoHelper 0.70 installed, but I unchecked all the "Enable this trigger" boxes, and the trigger SMS's are going to the PalmOne app, but not being intercepted by ChatterMail.) I tried lots of patterns in the "SMS _____" line of the "Deliver" pane for the email Account Definition. I can't figure out how to get Chatter to pick up the SMS. Has anyone been successful getting this to work? Marc, feel free to ask me more questions if this might help me to get this working or you to flesh out any possible bugs that might be preventing this from happening.

thanks,
    --
    Bob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast