Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, Here's the deal...I just got a letter from TMobile...I'm a current subscriber with an expired contract...They offered me a one month credit to re-up for a year...but I DESPERATLY WANT the new Treo (ACE, 610, 650 whatever they are going to call it!).

I don't want to renew for a year and be locked into a carrier that won't get this new phone for a long time...and I prefer GSM to CDMA. So that pretty much means TMobile or Cingulat/ATT...

Does ANYONE have any info about which carriers will get this new phone and when??? I presume Sprint will be the first. But SpaceHog indicated in one of his posts that there would be 2 carriers that would get this initially...I only have until Aug 30th to renew with TMobile or lose this deal....Please, Help me decide...is it Tmobile or Cingular/ATT???
    Just my educated guess, based on past experience and current commitment, I doubt that T-Mobile will adopt it early. My guess as to who the first GSM carrier is would be AT&T Wireless (and Cingular if they are really one by then).
  3.    #3  
    Will an unlocked GSM Treo ACE work equally well on TMobile & Cingular/ATT?
    my first 600 was a cingular branded treo that i used on t-mo.

if it is unlocked, u shouldn't have a problem using the phone on any gsm network.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    aye... my treo 600 has a cingular (gsm) logo when turning on the radio. i'm currently using it on t-mobile (gsm).
    Quote Originally Posted by paris

Does ANYONE have any info about which carriers will get this new phone and when??? I presume Sprint will be the first. But SpaceHog indicated in one of his posts that there would be 2 carriers that would get this initially...I only have until Aug 30th to renew with TMobile or lose this deal....Please, Help me decide...is it Tmobile or Cingular/ATT???
    The answer to your first question is no; there is information about the 600 here but only sanguine speculation about anything else.

Hiistory suggests that T-Mobile customers will get the hind tit again. HS said the same thing about two carriers on the 600. They simply reneged. There was no GSM 600 until everyone who did not absolutely have to have GSM had defected to Sprint. Here we get back to speculation. T-Mobile is unwilling or unable to cut the preferential deals that Sprint and Cingular have gotten.

I would rather pay full price for a Cingular branded phone and use it with T-Mobile's SIM, rates, plans, service, and support than have Cingular subsidize the initial cost of the phone and make it up on the monthly plan in perpetuity. Perhaps ten percent make a little money in the short run playing the plans. Another ten percent get burned a little. Most of us, across phones, time, and carriers all pay about the same. I guess my fundamental belief is that you get what you pay for. I buy what I want, when I want it. I pay the market price. I do business with those who have served me well over time. I do not take bait and I do not try to game the angler. I certainly do not buy something before "August 30" because I may "lose the deal." Remember, they called you; you must have some leverage. On the other hand I do not delay my purchases speculating on what might happen in the distant future.

Keep in mind that I paid $1500- for my first analog cell phone; it was the size and weight of a brick and had about an hour talk time. I paid $1-/ minute for air time, a $1- / minute for roaming, plus call setup and toll charges for long distance. You can imagine that I am thrilled to death with the Treo 600 and T-Mobile. Hell, I have even done business with Sprint and liked them well enough.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the advice...My take on what you're saying is...take the deal to renew with TMobile ...get a mont's free service...and then go buy the new Treo at full price and unlocked from Cincular as they will "probably" be the first GSM provider to get it...Did I understand you correctly???
    That strategy certainly fits what I said. It would also fit to continue paying T-Mobile on your current plan and wait until they offer the $610 at some price and plan. What does not fit is to do anything in return for a "free month."
  9.    #9  
    Maybe I'l just get a Cingualr pre-paid SIM and try it out in my current phone (Nokia 3650)...then at least I'll know if their coverage is any better than TMo's...and I'll just wait and see which GSM carrier gets the Treo ACE first...at least I'm not locked into any carrier that way. i think I have the most leverage with both carriers if I DON"T have a current contract...then when the new GSM Treo ACE FINALLY does come out...they can fight for by business...best deal wins!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    That strategy certainly fits what I said. It would also fit to continue paying T-Mobile on your current plan and wait until they offer the $610 at some price and plan. What does not fit is to do anything in return for a "free month."
    Another strategy would be to change to Cingular if they get the phone first and offer it at an attractive price and plan and, if you care, they can get your old number from T-Mobile. (I always forward my private number to my cell phone and never give out the mobile phone number. Therefore I do not care about the number.)

I got my 600 from a distributor at a premium price but early, at least early for a GSM phone. It was Cingular branded and unlocked. I have used it exclusively on T-Mobile. I will probably do something similar on my next phone. What I want to avoid is locking myself into any strategy that will cost me much money for changing my mind.
  11. GIR
    OK, Here's the deal...I just got a letter from TMobile...I'm a current subscriber with an expired contract...They offered me a one month credit to re-up for a year...but I DESPERATLY WANT the new Treo (ACE, 610, 650 whatever they are going to call it!).

I don't want to renew for a year and be locked into a carrier that won't get this new phone for a long time...and I prefer GSM to CDMA. So that pretty much means TMobile or Cingulat/ATT...

I just got back from a trip to Houston... Was stuck in the airport for a few hours, and ran into an engineer with Cingular at the bar. I talked with the guy for a while, swapped notes on Treo applications, and he mentions to me that they are releasing the next gen Treo in October or November. He mentioned it by the Ace name. Gave me pretty much the same specs I've seen on here time and time again, Bluetooth, better screen, etc. Also mentioned that it would/could come with wifi compatibility...

Take it for what it's worth I guess. He mentioned it to me out of the blue. I didn't ask about a next gen Treo, didn't mention anything like TC or other web rumors, etc.
    Peter - "oh my god, its better then i tought, an audi, im getting a car!"
    Brian - "uh peter. theres a 't' there, that says audit"
    Peter - "no brian, its a foriegn car, the 't' is silent, SWEET, im getting an audi"
    GIR-
    Did he happen to mention anything regarding EDGE?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GIR
    he mentions to me that they are releasing the next gen Treo in October or November. He mentioned it by the Ace name. Gave me pretty much the same specs I've seen on here time and time again, Bluetooth, better screen, etc. Also mentioned that it would/could come with wifi compatibility...
    This makes sense to me...P1 just released a wifi SD card that works with the T3 and Zire72...both of which run on the same OS and screen Res as the "rumored" ACE...looks like hanging out at T-Mo with my current contract and then moving my number to Cingular when they get the ACE is the thing to do...as a new Cingualr customer I 'should' get the ACE at a discount...but T-Mo won't discount a new phone just to keep me...I tried that when I got my Nokia 3650...paid full price (but I insisted they unlock it on the spot!)
    Did he happen to mention that he got all his info from TreoCentral?
  15. GIR
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Did you happen to actually read the post?
    Peter - "oh my god, its better then i tought, an audi, im getting a car!"
    Brian - "uh peter. theres a 't' there, that says audit"
    Peter - "no brian, its a foriegn car, the 't' is silent, SWEET, im getting an audi"
    Quote Originally Posted by GIR
    Quote: Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    > Did he happen to mention that he got all his info from TreoCentral?

Did you happen to actually read the post?
    I have a colleague who started a rumor, heard it at a cocktail party, and thereafter believed it as gospel.
  18.    #18  
    I stopped in the local Cingular store last night on my way home. Asked what they knew about the 'new' Treo...the guy confirmed they were getting a new model with hi res screen and bluetooth...said it was supposed to be out by now, but had been moved back till Oct-Nov time frame...They had already recieved some sales/training on the new model and he said there was another meeting tonight for all the area stores...I'll check back with him in a couple days...REALLY HOPE THIS IS TRUE! We need a GSM carrier for this new phone...because I don't want CDMA!
    If T-Mobile let's us down again, I may swtich. Does Cingular have an unlimited data plan?
    ...said it was supposed to be out by now, but had been moved back till Oct-Nov time frame...
    This is what we have been taught to expect. Notice that October has now become "Oct-Nov time frame." We will get to the last week in November before the January rumors start. PalmOne will maintain its official silence while leaking disinformation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast