1.    #1  
    Anyone using a car kit with the Treo?
    I am wondering how the external antenna connects up on the Treo car kit and how much better reception may be.

Unfortunately the installation instructions or even additional photos are not available anywhere I have looked (including THB) so I cannot tell how this connection is made.

I am looking to connect an external antenna at my home so that I can reception indoors. At the moment I get 1 to 0 bars inside which rarely is good enough to maintain a conversation. Up on the roof I get a nearly solid 3 bars with occasional 4 or 2.

Any way to read signal strength on the AT&T version of this phone? Have not found anything so far in my searches.
    The THB car kit is great. I got mine direct from THB USA. I installed the Cartalk DSP model, along with a signal amplifier- it makes a huge difference in the reception.
    http://www.thb-usa.com
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=55103

To improve indoor reception, I installed a dual band wireless repeater by Digital Antenna and it made a big difference. The total cost was about $500.
    http://www.digitalantenna.com/cellamprep_DA4000SBR.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=54856
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Alan Jarvis from THB is extremetly helpful in getting the unit set up:

Alan Jarvis
    THB USA
    National Service Manager
    3211 Ponce De Leon Blvd. #101
    Coral Gables, FL. 33134
    Tel: 1-786-271-2501
    Fax: 1-305-443-0208
    alan.jarvis@thb-usa.com
    I've been using a THB for about 4 months. I do not like it. It is overly bulky; has terrible sound and no handheld side unit (thererfore no ability to have a private conversation in your car when carrying passengers); you almost have to break the phone to put it in the holder; it takes two hands to put it in the holder; your SD card will pop out when extracting the phone (unless you file it down) and finally, I've already had one replacement and a software upgrade, which really didn't fix anything. The THB rep (his name is posted elsewhere on this site) is very helpful. But he's dealing with poorly designed junk.

But the external antenna does improve the signal strength. Unfortunately, you will be tempted to pull the phone out of the unit so people can hear you and thereby lose the signal strength which is why you bought the stupid unit in the first place!

Surely someone else will come out with a better car phone unit. PLEASE!!!
  5.    #5  
    Unfortunately the only other car kit I have seen is the Seidio kit (is it even released yet?) and it does not have support for an external antenna.

I found a listing for a company that produces an antenna adaptor cable for the Treo 600 but they do not appear to sell retail and I have not yet heard back from them about any retailors that buy from them.
    The cable plugs into the back of the Treo where the rubber plug is right below the antenna. I would like to try obtaining one to test both inside and outside my house with an external anenna. Still waiting for an email response.

Quote Originally Posted by namrehs300
    I've been using a THB for about 4 months. I do not like it. It is overly bulky; has terrible sound and no handheld side unit (thererfore no ability to have a private conversation in your car when carrying passengers); you almost have to break the phone to put it in the holder; it takes two hands to put it in the holder; your SD card will pop out when extracting the phone (unless you file it down) and finally, I've already had one replacement and a software upgrade, which really didn't fix anything. The THB rep (his name is posted elsewhere on this site) is very helpful. But he's dealing with poorly designed junk.

But the external antenna does improve the signal strength. Unfortunately, you will be tempted to pull the phone out of the unit so people can hear you and thereby lose the signal strength which is why you bought the stupid unit in the first place!

See here .

Very cool sounding carkit evidently coming Sept. 3rd from Seido...I would love to hear reviews when it arrives as I would jump on it for $80!!

Hell if all it did was charge and good speakerphone I am on it as a charger is like $20...
    I totally disagree with Namrehs300. I have had my THB car kit WITH DSP (which allows a headset and better sound) since the Sprint updater 1.2 came out. I ordered it from TreoCentral and it came in about 5 days. It works great. I did have a couple of problems with it not working at first but, I looked on the net, found THB-USA.com and email Them. That is when Alan Jarvis (noted above) contacted me on a Sunday with in about three hours and told me that he had a "Beta" fix and sent it to me. That took care of the ONLY issues I had.
    I have had the car kits for the Nokia 6100 and then the 8260 cingular systems. They all worked this well.
    I currently have the SA200 signal amp and the kit from Treo Central that comes with everything you need (except SA200 which I got on E-Bay for 190.00). The antenna give me a change in signal at least 2 bars(or upto all 4) in everycase.
    I travel all over Texas and Southern LA with normal useage about 3000 to 3800 minutes a month with very few dropped calls. Nothing is perfect but this makes it as good as it will get in my personal opion.
    PM me if you need any help !!!!
    You may want to consider my Omni Treo 600 cradle. It will solve all your issues with the THB unit.

see this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=56513

Quote Originally Posted by namrehs300

Does anyone know of a good web site for reviews of car kits and other accessories for the t6?

who controls the past now controls the future
    who controls the present now controls the past

Kyocera 6035 (2001-2004) > Treo 600 (2004-Present)
  10.    #10  
    I have not found any in-depth reviews. The only car kit available with an external antenna connector that I have found is the THB kit. cmill's recommends the THB kit with DSP but I have not personally used any.
    I really wanted to get something I can use in the house connected to an external antenna that I could place on the roof. The THB kit seems awkward for that purpose but would be good in the car but it is at home that I need the increased reception.
    Still fighting with myself over the expense of buying a repeater/amplifier setup.
    Yeah, I'm just reluctant to shell out that kind of dough for a car kit. Any idea if it can hold the t6 while it's in a case?

who controls the past now controls the future
    who controls the present now controls the past

Kyocera 6035 (2001-2004) > Treo 600 (2004-Present)
  12.    #12  
    I do not believe it will fit with the case on. I have not seen more than pictures of this device though so cannot say for certain.

The major difference between this car kit and any other is that this kit has an external antenna connection and that it has a cradle that you can PROBABLY use for future phones just by replacing the adaptor for your phone.
    That adaptor adds bulk to the whole setup though.

Have you checked the prices on eBay for the car kit? It is still expensive but not as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by papazano
    Yeah, I'm just reluctant to shell out that kind of dough for a car kit. Any idea if it can hold the t6 while it's in a case?
    I purchased the THB Kit with DSP and 3 watt amp from Travis for over $600. It was installed today and it does not work. I upgraded my T6 to 1.2 and installed the patch (dated 9/7) from the Palm One site. However, when I popped the phone in the holder, I don't hear anything over the external speaker. Because of the limited documentation, I am not sure whether its operator error, a problem with the install, or is software incorrectly installed. I see something about the handsfree kit in ROM, but not in the application area. The installer called me while the handset was in the holder and I answered it from phone, but should it ring over the external speaker? I can't route it through speakers of my Tahoe, because I replace factory radio with the Pioneer Avic N1 Nav Radio. Any help would be appreciated.