Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I found a program to convert the smsdatabase into an excel file here on TreoCentral called, sms2csv. It seems the developers site doesn't exist any longer.
    It's a command line program.

Anyway, this program converts the sms database to an excel spread sheet. From there you can print it.
    I've attached the last version I have to this post.

Following are instructions I found. And added some further amplification.

May 19th, 2005
    Convert Treo650 SMS message to plain-text file

Learned this over at Pumb, by using sms2csv which allows users to backup Treo 650 sms messages into csv file and can be viewed by Excel.
    1. Download the latest version 0.4 and run the sms2csv.exe, one downside is it doesn’t has a GUI so you need to execute at command prompt.

2. Go to your palm backup folder (for PC, it is C:\Program Files\palmOne\your username\Backup) and look for Messages_Database.PDB

3. Copy Messages_Database.PDB and paste it into the same directory where your sms2csv.exe is, run command prompt and key in code sms2csv “Messages Database.pdb” > messages.csv, the csv file will be generated in the same directory of where the sms2csv.exe is.

My addendum to the above:
    The latest version is 0.5 which is the zip file I attached to this thread.

I use filez to copy 'Messages Database.pdb' from internal memory to the card and then, using a card reader, copy to the folder where 'sms2csv' resides.

start->run->"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"

To get to the directory with the program "Chdir C:\Documents and Settings\(YOUR NAME)\Desktop\SMS Converter"

This is where the program resides on my PC. In the above example, sms2csv.exe is in the folder 'SMS Converter' and is on my desktop.

At prompt, type: "sms2csv "Messages Database.pdb" > messages.csv" where 'Messages Database.pdb' is the name of the palm sms database and 'messages.csv' is the name of the excel file on the pc.

Once in excel, you can print!

info on commands:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/ntcmds.mspx
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks for posting this, TBRunner!

once again for the search bots:
    Convert Treo650 SMS message to plain-text (i.e. CSV) file

sms2csv does a great job! You can find it at

multik.org/sms2csv/ (too few posts to allow links to me)

Just downloaded it, compiled it (did not want to rely on a rather old binary, a simple 'make sms2csv' worked).

Yes, note: sms2csv comes with source, and it will compile and run under a recent Linux (Debian Lenny (testing) here). Any distro with a C compiler installed should do.

But please don't expect it to convert character sets. On Western European (and North American as well, I suppose) Palm OS, cp1252 is used. recode is your friend.

Long live Open Source!
    Last edited by villager; 11/04/2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added URL
    Quote Originally Posted by TBRunner View Post
    I found a program to convert the smsdatabase into an excel file here on TreoCentral called, sms2csv. It seems the developers site doesn't exist any longer.
    It's a command line program.

Anyway, this program converts the sms database to an excel spread sheet. From there you can print it.
    I've attached the last version I have to this post.

Following are instructions I found. And added some further amplification.

May 19th, 2005
    Convert Treo650 SMS message to plain-text file

Learned this over at Pumb, by using sms2csv which allows users to backup Treo 650 sms messages into csv file and can be viewed by Excel.
    1. Download the latest version 0.4 and run the sms2csv.exe, one downside is it doesn’t has a GUI so you need to execute at command prompt.

2. Go to your palm backup folder (for PC, it is C:\Program Files\palmOne\your username\Backup) and look for Messages_Database.PDB

3. Copy Messages_Database.PDB and paste it into the same directory where your sms2csv.exe is, run command prompt and key in code sms2csv “Messages Database.pdb” > messages.csv, the csv file will be generated in the same directory of where the sms2csv.exe is.

My addendum to the above:
    The latest version is 0.5 which is the zip file I attached to this thread.

I use filez to copy 'Messages Database.pdb' from internal memory to the card and then, using a card reader, copy to the folder where 'sms2csv' resides.

start->run->"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"

To get to the directory with the program "Chdir C:\Documents and Settings\(YOUR NAME)\Desktop\SMS Converter"

This is where the program resides on my PC. In the above example, sms2csv.exe is in the folder 'SMS Converter' and is on my desktop.

At prompt, type: "sms2csv "Messages Database.pdb" > messages.csv" where 'Messages Database.pdb' is the name of the palm sms database and 'messages.csv' is the name of the excel file on the pc.

Once in excel, you can print!

info on commands:

Microsoft Windows XP - Command-line reference A-Z
    Avast is reporting a malware threat with the exe in this file. Anybody else face the same?
    Know that this is a old thread, but still wondering, if there's anybody else who is making a migration from a Treo to a Pre at this point and trying to use this tool.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12