Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have Tmobile and I have been disappointed by my phone reception with my old treo 270. I swore I would switch to Verizon. When my treo 270 hinge broke, I bought a $50 cheapo phone and I waited patiently for verizon to release a Treo.

Now that's out but I'm hearing cingular and ATT have consolidated networks, so the coverage should be improving (or soon be the best), so I have two options: Cingular vs Verizon.

So it comes down to GSM vs CDMA. I've heard battery life is worse, but voice quality is better with CDMA. The phone quality is pretty important to me.

I just want to hear peoples experiences with the different treos before I wade in. Also, the Sprint CDMA vs Verizon CDMA experience, since the ACE is supposedly coming out in october, but only on Sprint (which had poor reception for me in the past).

Jack
    well, since the main thing about the Treo is the pda/data functions, I would opt for the CDMA version, which has faster data.

As for the phone, CDMA phones, all things being equal, are clearer.

however, everything depends on the carrier's network.
    Doesn't the GSM version have better battery life and isn't it a tad smaller?

Can one receive phone calls while data is on with the GSM version?
    Quote Originally Posted by jacko

So it comes down to GSM vs CDMA. I've heard battery life is worse, but voice quality is better with CDMA. The phone quality is pretty important to me.

There's a huge difference in battery longevity afiak. My Sprint Treo600 barely lasts me 1 1/2 days max while many gsm users here report that their Treos can go w/o recharge for almost a week!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I'm a big CDMA proponent, but I'll try not to be too biased.

GSM does have better battery life, but I don't think it's any smaller. (a few grams lighter, perhaps) Like the CDMA version, It can't do simultaneous data and voice.

GSM coverage in the US still lags behind CDMA, although it's getting better. Data is obviously slower, although the "web experience" isn't all that great on the CDMA version either.

My Sprint TREO has really quite good sound quality, although I've never used a GSM Treo so I can't compare. The Treo600 notwithstanding, both GSM and CDMA networks have very good voice quality. CDMA sometimes seems better because it has a nice noise cancelling feature which is great when you're on the highway. But in a quiet room I doubt you could tell the difference.

As for Sprint vs. Verizon, unless you have lousy Sprint coverage where you live and use your phone, I'd go Sprint. As an aside, Sprint has improved their network substantially in the past few years. Way cheaper (data plan at least) and you will always get cooler phones (like the next-gen Treo) first. Remember, Verizon just got the Treo600 a few weeks ago, while the rest of the world has had it for a while. (Sprint had it first, of course)

Despite all of this, I'd still make the primary focus of your decision based on the carrier. Go with whoever gives you the best coverage at a price you're comfortable with.
    Well let's look at California - CDMA does not have the same reception as GSM, which is better because of AT&T's former presence. GSM is used by more countries including most of Europe and Mexico. If you plan on travelling to those areas - most of the GSM carriers can configure the phone to be used there. Forget that for CDMA except Korea.

SIM chip - GSM exclusive for now. You can take it out and transfer your address book to another phone in a matter of seconds whereas with the CDMA - you'll have to hope to beam them or hot sync them.

GSM advantage although not on the Treo - Blue Tooth. Sprint and Verizon haven't yet endorsed completely this technology for various hardware conflicting reasons. Apparently this is changing but I had a GSM phone over two years ago with BT and love it for web surfing to my T3.

Sprint however is the phone of forced choice that I am using. It will piggy back onto Verizon's network when roaming and this network does appear to be bigger in California then Cingular or Tmobile but I never dropped a call with my AT&T phone in areas that I currently drop them now with the Sprint phone.

Check your area for coverage actual and not planned. Customer Service - Sprint was rated the worst a year ago except in the Dallas area where they are based. This comment was based upon Consumer Reports magazine from October. However, this might have changed since the ability to "port" numbers has come along. Verizon was rated the best for customer service on a National Level followed by Cingular.

I'd still have AT&T if it weren't for my company forcing us to Sprint on a national contract.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc

GSM coverage in the US still lags behind CDMA, although it's getting better.
    Is this really true for the Treo since the CDMA version does not have AMPS (analog) capability? I reviewed the Sprint (PCS) and T-Mobile national maps and they look pretty close to me (if you believe their own maps). Until PalmOne throws analog into a Treo (and battery life tanks), I think coverage is a toss-up.
    GSM Treo = Global Roaming
    CDMA Treo = No Global Roaming

I don't see the point in having a mobile phone that doesn't work 'everywhere'... but it all depends on needs.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joej
    Is this really true for the Treo since the CDMA version does not have AMPS (analog) capability? I reviewed the Sprint (PCS) and T-Mobile national maps and they look pretty close to me (if you believe their own maps). Until PalmOne throws analog into a Treo (and battery life tanks), I think coverage is a toss-up.
    When I said CDMA coverage I wasn't referring just to Sprint. There's Verizon of course which is the largest provider, Alltel, RCC, etc. And tons of small regional CDMA providers onto which you can usually roam with either Sprint or Verizon.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmoko

I don't see the point in having a mobile phone that doesn't work 'everywhere'... but it all depends on needs.
    Since you're sig shows that you're in Geneva, then it's kind of a moot point since your only option is GSM, right?

I used to be a T-Mobile customer for years and loved the idea that I could roam globally. I'd brag to my friends that I could use my phone overseas and they couldn't. (they were Verizon customers) The irony, though, is that I only travelled internationally twice in those years that I had T-Mobile.
    I finally realized that it wasn't worth giving up coverage at home where I spend 98% of my time, just to have the novelty of being able to use my phone in Belarus. (and paying $2.00/minute to do so)

That said, there are some people who truly do need international coverage. For them, GSM is absolutely the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzmoko

If you don't travel outside of North America then what's the point of having a phone that works outside the North America.?
    CDMA for data speed
    GSM for flexibility and signal (if you use 850)
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    If you don't travel outside of North America then what's the point of having a phone that works outside the North America.?

Even better...if your in another country (assming your on vacation) do you even want people to be able to contact you?
    I had the 270 with T-Mobile. I had coverage issues all over the country. One of the more annoying things was that, if I had the phone in the belt holster, it would lose signal whereas it would be okay up on the dash of the car.

When the 600 came out I went with Sprint. I've also become a heavier data user with the BC service. So I can't complain about the cheap data price either.

I've been very happy with the 600 and Sprint's service. I'd recommend it to anyone. If you don't leave North America, I think it's the way to go.

I'd love to test AT&T/Cingular just for the global roaming, but:

1) it's an expensive "test"
    2) data is very expensive

So I take my 270 overseas and have found most of the world still has decent GSM900 coverage. For the 6 or 7 times I am in GSM-land, it's a fine solution.

Steve
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Love GSM. The sim card is great if you every have to change phones. It also worked while in another country after buying a sim card there. If you don't intend to travel and use your cell phone, it's not a bid deal but it was for me. But the best part about the GSM Treo is the battery life. Several days of use with no charge. I use GPRS and the data transfers fast enough for me. I've never used a SPRINT Treo so I couldn't compare the two. Email polls pretty quick so that's good enough for me. Overall I probably pick a GSM version over the SPRINT version if I had to choose today.
    Simple Reason: when I get done using it my GSM phone's resale value is going to be MUCH higher on the marketplace than the Sprint version.
    I can sell the unit to anyone in the WORLD for a nice price as opposed to being stuck with the carrier.

Also, I do travel and the peace of mind of having a WORLD phone is nice.
    I have detailed files.
    I'd say that -like most distinctions in life- the differences within, are greater than those between.

I used to be with Sprint and switched to T-M when the Treos were released. Both services worked well for me.

2 distinctions I believe have not been mentioned.

1) I like the flexibility the SIM card architecture affords: I use the Treo weekdays and my tiny E715 evenings and weekends. I just slip the sim card out of one into the other and voilĂ*! As a phone, my E715 is easily more dependable than my Treo; but, alas, it is just a phone. This same feature allows me to slip low-cost pre-paid SIM cards into either phone when travelling internationally.

2) The CDMA Treos -both generations- have significantly higher SAR ratings.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    so one thing that hasn't been addressed, is what is the battery life like on cdma vs gsm as far as data connects are concerned? is the usage comparable with that of voice usage?

i'm really really tempted to pick up a 600 with spring (i currently have a 180 unlocked on cingular) because their unlimited data plans seem to be the most reasonably priced. however quite a few people have told me horror storries about sprint, so i was wondering what the general opinion on this forum was since the people here seem to be a bit more technical minded than your average cell phone owner/user.
    Just picked up an AT&T Treo 600. So far, I have better reception in my home. I got 0-2 bars with VZW and I have 2-3 bars with GSM. We'll see tomorrow about reception at the office. I am planning to go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks so I'm looking to unlock this puppy. Gotta love the 30 day test period.

Problem is this: everyone I know, including all of my direct reports, have VZW. We haven't been able to hold a conversation for over 5 minutes since I switched from my Kyocera 7135 to the Treo 600, however.

Decisions, decisions.
    sprint is jut fine in California...much better than ATT, for that matter.

lots of GSM lovers, but if you don't travel outside North America, you don't need it.

yes, the SIM card is nice, but really not relevant with a Treo.. One hotsync and you are all set.

I would say it all depends:
    -where you are
    -how much data you use
    -how much you want to spend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast