Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    and so this takes us to palmone's plan to make several treo lines.

entry level treo - bare minimum.
    no camera, mp3
    mid-level treo - middle of road, no camera, hi res screen, etc.
    upper level treo - for enthusiasts.
    all bells and whistles.

this way, you cater to the beginner, the business person, and the treo enthusiast or "geeks".
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Met a guy on the bus this morning who saw me pull out my T6. He works in IT support. He told me his DC law firm uses T6's with Good Link. I didn't ask the size of their shop.

Their only complaints?

1. Battery needs to be recharged frequently (that surprised me because I can go a day-and-a-half without charging. NOTE he also mentioned the risk of lost data if battery goes all the way down, so the battery concern may be more paranoia than necessity.)

2. Camera is not needed, perhaps even not wanted
    Last edited by shopharim; 08/24/2004 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    The TREO is really good at 7-8 different things, if not more.
    The Blackberry is excellent at 3-4 different things.

However, those 3-4 things are all that the corporate dept. cares about.
    What are those 3-4 things? I count Email, email and email, (and maybe email as the 4th if you are stretching it). And there are two reasons why it's better. One is the keyboard. It comes at the expense of form factor, so you can't really even count this one. For me, I can't have a blackberry because it's simply too big. The second reason (and the big one) is that they've got the server market critical mass enabling true push e-mail. With the PalmOS working with that soon, that advantage goes away. So really the Blackberry is good at having a keyboard.

In some ways the Blackberry is like a dumb terminal. It's great at a few things and that's all some employees will need. But the Treo is like a full fledged PC. If a company requires that the incoming and outgoing calls be indexed by their database for archival, they can do that. If a computer person has to fix the company's servers while he's on vacation, he can do that. All the bells and whistles will come into play as businesses needs expand past those 3-4 things (or as I said, email).
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    and so this takes us to palmone's plan to make several treo lines.

entry level treo - bare minimum.
    no camera, mp3
    What would be the rationale for taking the mp3 out of the phone? I mean it's not even built in. If there wasn't software that supported it, we'd be treating it like it was bluetooth, putting a bounty on it. There's rationale for taking out hardware to lower the cost of the phone, but there really isn't any hardware except for speakers and you need those for phone functions.
    I hate it when people make decisions based on their weirdo experiences rather than looking at it from a plain face value. Since we are going to weirdo experiences rather than looking at things at face value, here is mine.

In my experience, the Treo is a Blackberry killer. If offers a lot more features and avaliable applications than the Blackberry and provides a much better phone than the Blackberry. In our company, we've started replacing the Blackberry with the Treo using Goodlink. Users appreciate the better phone capabilities and we still have control over things.
    Paraphrasing a lot of the comments on this thread: "I use my Treo for business & it's the best thing since sliced bread. You’re freakin’ crazy to suggest otherwise".

I echo your sentiments - I find my Treo an invaluable tool for business use.

However, I am biased. So are you. You want proof? You're reading this. You're a Treo Enthusiast. By extension, I may safely assume you're an early adopter, a tinkerer & very likely a tweaker. If you weren't, your presence on this board would have dwindled shortly after buying your Treo.

The way you (and I) use the Treo is necessarily different from the mainstream user. Invariably, we attempt to use every function the thing was designed for - at least once - and often, use it regularly for things the designers never envisioned. On more than one occasion, we have rendered our Treos inoperable because of something we tried out.

Suffice it to say that we are not Normal People. Normal People do not do this. Normal People take their device out of the box, use a subset of its functionality and never peel back the onion.

Unfortunately, the sheer volume of "stuff" available for the Palm OS and the ease in which it may be applied dictate that the Treo will never find the same sweet spot the Blackberry occupies: standard equipment issued to Normal People in large corporations.

Why? Because IT departments in large corporations want standardization. They want devices that the user can't foul up. If the user does foul it up, they break the shrink-wrap on an identical device - problem solved. They want to minimize their support calls. The relatively closed Blackberry platform is tailor-made for this environment. Sure, you can tweak it - but not nearly to the level that you can a Treo. Heck, there's a direct link to Handango's web store burned into the ROM on my Sprint Treo. This is a direct challenge to corporate IT mindset.

Were you to argue “The Treo is better than the Blackberry. It can do X. The Blackberry can’t do X.”, you would be correct. However, you’re missing the point. IT departments in large corporate settings don’t care how good it is – they want only to meet their customers’ requirements while minimizing TCO. This last one is a biggie – imagine the chaos if all the managers in *your* company were suddenly given a Treo.

Will the Treo thrive? Yes – there are enough of us who want true convergence to make this a winning proposition for PalmOne.

Is the Treo a Blackberry killer? Not by a long shot – it’s too good for its own good.
    Last edited by tdhood; 08/24/2004 at 11:35 AM.
    tdhood makes a good argument, but I still don't buy it. It's not that anything he said is false, we are treo enthusiasts (we are here).

The argument that tdhood makes is the same argument that Larry Ellison (and others) made when he said network computers would take over the business world. And in some places network computers work great. Everyone has the same functionality and the TCO is relatively cheap. The problem arises when your creative team needs to have Adobe Photoshop and your computers aren't equiped for that. Or you accounting team needs PeachTree and again your computers don't support that. So for some subset of users you are going to have to be able to support some kind of hardware/software combo that get their specific job done right.

At some point, people are going to be up against the wall and saying that the Blackberry doesn't come with what they need. Blackberry will either have to it pronto, or a more general device like one based on Palm or PocketPC will get it done. I reiterate my real world problem of databasing users phone calls that I mentioned above. I don't know if Blackberry does this, but as a more closed device (with more limited support), I'm doubting it. I also don't know how the Blackberry handles say Tiff files or other somewhat oddball attachments. I haven't used the Blackberry enough, but I'm guessing it might not. Does the BlackBerry support all the IM clients? I'm not so sure. That would be a deal breaker for many companies.

Of course very few (if any) companies are going to say, "Wow that's tremendous, you can use it as a remote control as long as you stand 1 foot away -- this will revolutionalize our business." However I think there are enough useful business tools that the Treo has (in addition to the gee-whiz stuff), that put it over the blackberry. One of them alone is the form factor.

Yes simplicitity is great for TCO, but I believe that the Treo is simple enough for any general user. In fact, I have a friend who will tell you he's a "technology moron", yet he can do all the things a Blackberry can and a little more. He doesn't ever really download any new applications unless they are specifically something he needs (I pointed him to hblogger which he liked). I think out of the box, the Treo is just as simple as the BlackBerry -- we just muck around with them as entusiasts so much that we forget.

Just because we are not Normal People, doesn't mean the Treo isn't for Normal People. There's are Advanced Tivo forums too, but Tivo's are for Normal People. There are computer expert forums, but computers are for Normal People.
    You are making assumptions without actually having tried them. You are assuminng that managers given a treo will create chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    This last one is a biggie – imagine the chaos if all the managers in *your* company were suddenly given a Treo.
    All of our managers have the Treo and they are using them and loving them, more so than their blackberries they used to have. Maybe you should hire better managers, or stop thinking about your fellow employees as non-trainable monkeys who cannot use technology.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12