Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am torn between the pros and cons of these 2 competing apps. What can any current or past users share with me to help decide which one to purchase?

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    I think it depends on your needs. I use Beyond Contacts for syncing to Outlook at work, but I mainly use it for Calendar, Tasks, and Notes (not that much). I don't use it for Contacts or Email. So, it fits my needs just fine, but I'm not an Outlook power user.
    I just switched from KeySuite to BeyondContacts. I have over 5000+ contacts and I lost all of my categories with Keycontacts once I went over a certain amount. I also like the BeyondContacts interface -- it's more like a simplified version of Outlook -- and the fact that e-mail is tied right in if you get InboxToGo. The whole thing is just very simple, pleasing to the eye, and does what it's supposed to.

I'm sure some power users might have some more refined differences that makes them choose one over the other, but for general tasks, I'm quite happy.

One thing I **don't** like about these Outlook-style programs is that fact that they don't work with Comet for tracking calls. Comet will sync with the desktop to track calls in a spreadsheet-style format, which is great for determining business calls vs. personal calls, but it won't connect numbers to contacts unless they come from your standard address book.
    I gotta say that BC is pretty nice, especially now that I have finally got it to sync with both the native app and the enchanced app
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    100thMonkey... please let me know how you did that. I'm about to install BC but don't want to give up my beloved DateBk5.
    I just kept reinstalling it until it finally worked. The latest version 3.005 has an option for syncing with both. If it doesn't work the first time, just keep queing the install tool from the hotsync monitor
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for your replies. Anyone else out there with a strong opinion?

-THP
  8.    #8  
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Well, just to be contrary, I prefer Key Suite, because:
    1) I already owned Chapura's Pocketmirror, so upgrading to Key Suite was cheaper than buying Beyond Contacts
    2) I prefer having separate apps (Key Contacts, Key Dates, etc), instead of one bundled app, especially because I'm still using Datebk5 to manage my calendar
    3) I prefer Key Suite's use of the Treo's Nav Pad

My $.02
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I also prefer Key Suite. Separate apps is a major key in order to have flexibility in assigning buttons and Nav Pad. BC tries to hard to look like Outlook on the handheld (specifically the folder icon column). The other extreme is Datebook5 which is too MAC like for my tastes. Key finds just the right blend.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I too have tried them both and preferred KeySuite for mainly two big reasons. The first is the separate applications so that I can assign the KeyContacts app to the down arrow in the Phone app so that it replaces the internal Contacts. The second reason is that SnapperMail and the built-in Treo e-mail app somehow pull all three e-mail address from KeyContacts (instead of the one address in the built-in Contacts). Beyond Contacts doesn't do that, so you are still pulling in only the one e-mail address from the built-in database.

Beyond Contacts sync with the built-in Contacts database messed more things up than it fixed. I quickly turned that off and used Pocket Mirror (the free bundled version works fine) to do a "desktop overwrites handheld" sync to the built in Contacts database at every hotsync so that you get the Caller ID information. You still need to do this with KeySuite as well since neither Beyond Contacts nor KeySuite integrates into the Phone app for Caller ID information.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff
  12.    #12  
    I have been leaning toward going with Key Suite. I will be deciding by tommorrow.

-THP
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Jeff,
    I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. In order to have the t6's contacts database stay current (so it is the same as my PC's Outlook and Key Contacts on the t6), I need to make an adjustment in the hot sync settings (from the way Key Suite set them up during installation). If I read your post right, I would go into the hot sync manager's custom settings and set Outlook Calendar to overwrite handheld on every sync, yes? That would mean the t6's database would be current after a 2nd sync - assuming a change was made in Key Contacts that sync'd Outlook on hot sync #1 and then that would be updated in the t6's database on hot sync #2. I seek this clarification because I do like TakePhone, which uses the contacts database and would never be current if the database isn't current. So... do I have this right? Many thanks. (also) Jeff
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrowlings
    Jeff,
    I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. In order to have the t6's contacts database stay current (so it is the same as my PC's Outlook and Key Contacts on the t6), I need to make an adjustment in the hot sync settings (from the way Key Suite set them up during installation). If I read your post right, I would go into the hot sync manager's custom settings and set Outlook Calendar to overwrite handheld on every sync, yes? That would mean the t6's database would be current after a 2nd sync - assuming a change was made in Key Contacts that sync'd Outlook on hot sync #1 and then that would be updated in the t6's database on hot sync #2. I seek this clarification because I do like TakePhone, which uses the contacts database and would never be current if the database isn't current. So... do I have this right? Many thanks. (also) Jeff
    Yes, you have it right. Let Key Contacts sync with Outlook and set (through custiom of Hot sync) Outlook Contacts to "Desktop overwrites Handheld" as default and you should be good to go.
    Jeff
    I have been using KeyContacts for a long time now and I sync both KeyContacts and the built in address book with Outlook. I even have them both set to synchronize and not Outlook overwrites handheld for the built in address book. But if you do this then you have to make sure you do not make any addition or changes on the Treo thru the built in address book. otherwise you might be better of setting the hotsync so that Outlook overwrites handheld for the built in address book. Anyhow in my case since KeyContacts is before the built in address book in the synchronize list, I end up getting all the updates in the built in address book in a single sync.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    sanjay, good point... I was wondering about this. to sync every time with outlook overwriting... it makes for a long sync session.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    I have been using KeyContacts for a long time now and I sync both KeyContacts and the built in address book with Outlook. I even have them both set to synchronize and not Outlook overwrites handheld for the built in address book. But if you do this then you have to make sure you do not make any addition or changes on the Treo thru the built in address book. otherwise you might be better of setting the hotsync so that Outlook overwrites handheld for the built in address book. Anyhow in my case since KeyContacts is before the built in address book in the synchronize list, I end up getting all the updates in the built in address book in a single sync.
    I started out doing it that way, but quickly switched to the "Desktop overwrites handheld" method. I sync with two machines, one at work and one at home and found I was getting too many duplicates. What I have found works best is doing the Pocket Mirror overwrite on only one machine and having it set to "do nothing" on the other. This way, I have eleminated all my duplicate problems.
    Jeff
    I find this lenghtens the synch process unaccpetably and so I manually set the desktop to overwrite handheld for the baasic contacts once a week or so.
    I have been synching (no overwriting) with both since KeyContacts first came out with no problems at all. The only thing you have to be careful about is to make sure not to make any changes or additions thru the built in address book.
    I have been happy with KeySuite (KeyContacts, etc.). I understand from Chapura's tech support that they will soon be releasing an update that offers all of the functions of the built-in contacts to work within KeyContacts. So, this should essentially eliminate the need for the built-in contacts app.

Wish KeyContacts would display Company along with name and tel# in caller ID screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast