1.    #1  
    I had been under the impression that 1GB SD cards were going for some $300 but after some research today I came up with these terrific offers starting at $150!!!

Cheers, W.
    Last edited by wanderman; 09/12/2004 at 07:05 AM.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip cash70... It's a shame that the item never appears to be in stock however...

Also, although I recognize that there may be some cheaper SD cards out there my post specifically sought to find the best deals for the SanDisk 1GB SD card. I will now update the post with this new information.

Cheers, W.
    You really should state somewhere on your page (even just in fine print) that the deals you're linking to are affiliate links. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, this means that wanderman receives a percentage from any sale that originates via his links. I have no problem with affiliate links (I use them on my site), but common netiquette is to indicate them as such.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5.    #5  
    Dear Scott (aka Mr.Tapland),

Your statement is not correct. Not all our links are affiliate links - by a long shot - but on occasion yes, absolutely, 100%, as the only means to generate revenues to our blog we do occasionally include affiliate links since we are not MegaCorp Inc. (even if companies such as AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Google, etc. also have affiliate deals in place I might add...)

I have visited your website tapland.com and could not anywhere find any sort of statement on your part that the banners on your website are paid advertising for example. I believe that it would be completely nonsensical to do this as we are all aware even in instances such as Google that these ads do generate revenues.

Furthermore, nobody should forget that 'netiquette' works both ways - from the blog to the user but also from the user to the blog! Yes, the information is provided FREE to everyone but those users who subscribe to netiquette will be kind enough to recognise the effort that has been put into the blog and generously reward us by their continued patronage as well as following certain sponsored links or on occasion even make donations to us via PayPal as a show of their appreciation and support (many grateful thanks to those of you who have been kind enough to already make such donations).

Let's be very clear about two things here. Firstly, I don't appreciate this kind of nonsense from a fellow online publisher and secondly our links are provided to refer users to products and services that are relevant and of interest to them above all - we obviously cannot force visitors to follow a particular link as the choice of that decision rests entirely with them.

In this respect, it is particularly worthwhile mentioning that under no circumstances do affiliate deals provide users with prices that are in any way more expensive (on occasion they actually offer better deals!) from those they would find by visiting the website directly - the affiliate program simply rewards commercially those websites that refer users to those products or services that are relevant and of interest to them (basically we get some revenue for investing our time researching and developing the various articles and reviews that we write).

Finally, on occasion we have also run ads that attempt to humourously combine a commercial element with editorial content and we have been very clear when doing this.

In conclusion Scott, go tap elsewhere.

Cheers, W.
    Last edited by wanderman; 08/22/2004 at 03:18 PM.
    Wow. I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and just offer up some constructive criticism, but based on your nasty response I'm now wondering if maybe you really were spamming these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Dear Scott (aka Mr.Tapland),
    Thanks for advertising my site for me, even though you were obviously only mentioning it for the purpose of trying to reduce my credibility because I'm, as you say, a "fellow online publisher." You'll note that I don't even advertise it here. I once did include it in my sig but removed it because I didn't see much value in it seeing as this site is a site devoted to the Treo and mine is devoted to the Zodiac (two vastly different products). It's not like I'm *cough* linking to a site which is in more direct competition to treocentral.

Your statement is not correct. Not all our links are affiliate links - by a long shot - but on occasion yes, absolutely, 100%, as the only means to generate revenues to our blog we do occasionally include affiliate links.
    I don't know much about your site and I wasn't making blanket statements about the links you provide there. I was speaking to this specific thread you started here. I go to your site to see your "deals" and the very first deal you link to is an affiliate link with no mention of it being as such.

I have visited your website tapland.com and could not anywhere find any sort of statement on your part that the banners on your website are paid advertising for example. I believe that it would be completely nonsensical to do this as we are all aware even in instances such as Google that these ads do generate revenues.
    You must not have looked very hard. On my home page I have a section devoted to great deals I've found online. These are all affiliate deals. The section is labeled "Great Deals" with the text "From our affiliates" directly below this banner (and above the deals themselves). Our Google ads are labeled "Ads by Google" (I think Google AdSense does this automatically) and the Tapwave ad has the text "Advertisement" directly above it.

Let's be very clear about two things here. Firstly, I don't appreciate this kind of nonsense from a fellow online publisher and secondly our links are provided to refer users to products and services of interest above all.
    Again, I obviously ruffled your feathers. I made no accusations that you were purposely trying to mislead people, though I'm now beginning to believe exactly that.

In conclusion Scott, go tap elsewhere.
    Better yet, why don't you? I'm a veteran treo user. My last phone was a treo 300 and my wife still uses her treo 300. I've contributed to this community quite a bit and continue to keep tabs here because I'm a big believer of smartphones. I was dissapointed with certain aspects of the treo 600 and so I decided not to go that route, but based on what I'm seeing on the horizon, I'll likely be getting the Ace (or whatever it ends up being called). You, OTOH, have just a handful worth of posts to your credit and run a site which compete's, in some respects, with this one. So don't presume to be in any position to tell me where I can go. Thanks.

Scott
    Cheers, W.[/QUOTE]
    Dear Scott (aka Mr.Tapland)...
    Wanderman, I must say your rude response to Scott's post looks very bad on your part and your site in general. If it wasn't an affiliate link, then just simply state so and make it clear on your site which is and which isn't. I think most users here greatly appreciate any information regarding deals available. I think the point is that it is always good to have as much transparency as possible. I don't think Scott's post was in any way meant to be an accusation as you make it out to be...

Finally as my sig may suggests, I've known Scott for a very long time in the online pda community and can attest that he is one of the most honest and upfront people in terms discloure. He is a valuable and long time contributor to many pda forums including Treocentral and was a pioneer in establishing the first (and best ) Tapwave forums. He has had made it explicitly clear on his site the reasoning why he doesn't sign NDA's in order to be as unbiased and honest as possible and is very clear regarding the affiliate links he posts. If anything, I appreciate his enthusiasm for the same type of clarity on other sites...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Scott,

Your endeavours are undoubtedly commendable but don't blame me if 'tapping' isn't doing the trick for you and you're suffering from treonauts envy syndrome... I understand how you'd now like to come back to the Treo fold after all the great stuff that's been happening around here!

As you mention, you do indeed promote your 'great deals' and state 'via our affiliates' but what you forgot to mention is that these are not necessarily the very best deals out there for your visitors...

As everyone will be able to judge by the treonauts 'Power Shopping' review we have presented ALL the very best deals out there that are offered even those by companies that do not offer affiliate programs (in this case we have presented 7 choices and only 2 are affiliates). We don't willy nilly pick stuff just because the companies might have an affiliate program - if they do that's great and if they don't then we'll always present the full and complete picture to our fellow treonauts.

Thanks for bringing this matter up Scott and you're naturally welcome to visit the blog whenever you like to relieve your current Treo withdrawal symptoms.

Cheers, W.
    Again, let's try not to turn this discussion into a discussion about me or my site. I'll simply add that I do (and have for some time) posted news items (which, arguably, get more exposure than my "Great Deals" section) whenever I find an especially great deal of interest to my readers even when there's no way for me to get an affiliate cut from it. Secondly, when I first launched this feature someone commented positively about it in my forums and I was quick to respond with added clarification that these deals were most likely just going to be limited to deals from within my pool of affiliates. So, yes, I had that covered as well.

But again, this isn't about me or Tapland, so let's not try to change the subject. Your motives behind starting this thread were questionable to begin with, though I didn't accuse you of anything, instead giving you the benefit of the doubt while offering up some constructive criticism. The tone of your response, OTOH, calls into question just what your intentions were.

So, is it OK for me to post a new topic here directing people to my site any time I find a great deal on something? If Marcus has no problem with that, I'd love to do so. It would be helpful to me (due to the little affiliate amount I'd get) and helpful to users here as well. Did I mention that I currently have an affiliate link to a Delkin 1GB SD card for $169.99 shipped free (that's $15.54 cheaper than your "First choice").

Scott
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for clarifying that Scott, it's been very constructive and helpful.

treonauts, just for the record you can find a KINGMAX 1GB SD card for $133.99 (inc. shipping) via your treonauts blog or by visiting newegg directly.

Marcus & Michael, just in case there's any doubt let me say that I LOVE treocentral

Cheers, W.
  11.    #11  
    gfunkmagic,

Please accept these flowers with our most sincere apologies.

Cheers, W.