1.    #1  
    I saw this advertised here awhile back and just had a chance to try it. I can't help but applaud. This is GREAT--exactly what I needed and wanted.

For those not familiar with it, it turns your PDA in effect into a card reader. So you don't have to take your card out and plop it into some other device, nor do you have to hot sync to move files from your computer to your PDA or vice versa.

basically your card in your PDA becomes another hard drive for your desktop when attached by a usb cable. Yes! I just wanted to add my applause!
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Do you have a link? Can it co-exist or interoperate with PDAReach?
  4.    #4  
    http://softick.com/cardexport2/

I know nothing about PDAReach...sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Can it co-exist or interoperate with PDAReach?
    It can co-exist. That is, you can have both installed on your PDA and can serially use them. They cannot interoperate. When Card Export is running one cannot start any other application. If PDAReach is running one can start Card Export but it cannot connect. If you press the connect icon, it reports that the connection is already in use. Therefore, while one may go from one of these programs (while they run as applications, I am reluctant to call them that) to the other and back, they cannot interoperate.

Note that there is no Card Export client on the PC side. XP simply recognizes the Treo (running Card Export) as a locally attached drive. Therefore, one uses the PC file system to operate it.

While Card Export is running, it displays two indicators; one tells you that the PC is reading from the PDA/SD and the other that it is writing. The documentation cautions that one can lose the file system on the card by terminating the connection while writing.

One can now get 1G SD cards. Some of us can remember when that was a big drive. (One gigabyte stored in punched paper would fill a box car and take a year and a half to read.) There is no reason to believe that this popular form factor will not get even denser. Because the PDA can only display the contents of one folder at a time, it is difficult to reorganize objects. There is an advantage for the operating system to be able to treat this device like any other.
  6.    #6  
    If you can get to a PC, it is far easier to use Card Export II for file MANAGEMENT issues on your SD card, but note that there are other file management utilities which do not depend on turning the PDA into a hard drive. For instance, try the freeware utility FileZ from nosleep.net
    Other than using Pocket Tunes, BackupMan, VeriChat and BT Mute for Blue Tooth volume the only other software needed on the Treo 650 is http://www.win-hand.com/img/Treo650/Treo650.htm Leave all the stuff that causes memory issues and crashes on your home or office pc and just access that pc anytime you want for the data you want. You can even send files to your treo for viewing or manipulating and then send them back to the PC and delete them from your Treo yet retrieve them anytime and from anywhere. Now thats what I'm talking about! )
    Too bad that it is only USB1.1 and not USB2.0

If transferring any size of files over to a card, its still much quicker to through the SD card in a USB2.0 reader. I tested the speed difference using Card Export 2 vs SD card in a USB2.0 reader ... it took aprox 7min to transfer 177MB using Card Export 2 VS < 1min using a USB2.0 reader.

I was hoping to test out what the throughput would be using Softick's Blue Files and transferring using BlueTooth, but I couldn't get that going right. Will have to come back to that later, as that would probably be my preferred method of doing small file transfers (like installing a new app, transferring a doc, etc), so that I wouldn't have to have ANY cables.
    Palm Pro -> Palm IIIx -> HandSpring Visor Deluxe -> HandSpring Visor Prism -> Tapwave Zodiac 2 (don't use much) | Treo 650 | Palm LifeDrive (returned)
    Mark Squires and TC Forum Users,

I was always wondering about the conjunction of File Z and Card Export II. It seems to be an interesting combo. For example, if you plug in your Treo via your computer then accessing your SD Card info, could FileZ do some things that Card Export II couldn't? And vice Versa? Or are they really two separate beasts?
    ###
    As soon as you quit CE-II (to run FileZ), the connection with the PC will terminate.

In order for the PC to see the SD card as a drive, CE-II has to be running in the foreground.

I wonder what'll happen if I play MP3's from the SD card in the background (using Ptunes) while launching CE-II and mucking around with the SD card files ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Mark Squires and TC Forum Users,

I was always wondering about the conjunction of File Z and Card Export II. It seems to be an interesting combo. For example, if you plug in your Treo via your computer then accessing your SD Card info, could FileZ do some things that Card Export II couldn't? And vice Versa? Or are they really two separate beasts?
    ###

As the last poster stated--you can't run anything else really when CE is running so it's not an option.

FileZ basically lets you run an "Explorer" for your PDA on your PDA. It works when you aren't connected to your computer and can't use any of its software.

CE isn't a file management utility exactly. It lets you run other utilities already on your computer. SO, there is no reason you'd have to or want to use FileZ if you are connected through CE. If you're connected through CE, just run Windows Explorer as you normally would. Your PDA card in effect just becomes another hard drive that your computer sees. It's a transparent process.

As someone noted, it is much slower managing large files with CE rather than putting the card in a reader....
    Does Card Export II support BT connection?
    Not that version but the company makes an app for Bluetooth.

http://www.softick.com/bluefiles/
    Frenzytom - Thanks. Is it possible to use WinXP Bluetooth Exchange Services to transfer files?

I got the WinXP setup with Treo 650. But it says "No Services found".
    Have you tried the demo version to see if it works? Their FAQs are not available...you might try sending them an email and ask.
    How well does CardExport II work after the Sprint 1.12 updater?
    ###
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    It works fine.
    My laptop has a built in SD card reader and it took 4 minutes to transfer a 200 MB file. . .

Still not too bad, I guess.
    HELP!!!

I have a "Cannot Send USB descriptor. Host failure?" error when i connect to my PC.

It happened to me before and found a solution. It's happening again but the Softick forum is down.

Anyone having the same problem?