1.    #1  
    I have a reasonable understanding of POP3, SMTP, and Exchange - but not a clue about IMAP. At work we us Exchange and I can connect my home XP box up via pptp with Outlook on the home box. My personal folders are on my workstation, but I have sharing setup so when I am sitting at home, my Outlook behaves just like I am at work.

My company's mobile solution is Blackberry, but no blackberry client for my Treo.

I tried Mergic VPN to get through the firewall and that worked, and I found a pop3 server on site, but it is internal only and somehow it knew I was on a virtual network and not a real network.

Now in reading about Chatter I hear about IMAP (which the Snapper I own has). I would bet we don't have it turned on. Our SysAdmin are in a continuous state of paraniod delusions (as they should be).

I have both Inbox to Go Wireless and Biz Conn running but they apparently don't talk to the server. They need software on my workstation to function. What happens when we have a power cycle while I am on travel?

I would love a piece of Treo software that my Exchange server at work thinks is Outlook.

Sorry for diverging from the original question. But maybe IMAP will save the day :-)
    http://www.imap.org/papers/imap.vs.pop.brief.html

Quote Originally Posted by ddeger
    I have a reasonable understanding of POP3, SMTP, and Exchange - but not a clue about IMAP. At work we us Exchange and I can connect my home XP box up via pptp with Outlook on the home box. My personal folders are on my workstation, but I have sharing setup so when I am sitting at home, my Outlook behaves just like I am at work.

My company's mobile solution is Blackberry, but no blackberry client for my Treo.

I tried Mergic VPN to get through the firewall and that worked, and I found a pop3 server on site, but it is internal only and somehow it knew I was on a virtual network and not a real network.

Now in reading about Chatter I hear about IMAP (which the Snapper I own has). I would bet we don't have it turned on. Our SysAdmin are in a continuous state of paraniod delusions (as they should be).

I have both Inbox to Go Wireless and Biz Conn running but they apparently don't talk to the server. They need software on my workstation to function. What happens when we have a power cycle while I am on travel?

I would love a piece of Treo software that my Exchange server at work thinks is Outlook.

Sorry for diverging from the original question. But maybe IMAP will save the day :-)
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    IMAP is a server protocol like POP. To use it, your email admin would have to create an IMAP service on the email server. So that seems unlikely.

About your only choice is to use an email redirector. Install the PC client for Inbox-to-go on your work PC, and leave outlook running all the time. Then the Inbox-to-go client will send new emails to your treo.

One thing - if your emails need to be on the server for you to see them at home, then this setup might mean you won't be able to do that anymore. I'm pretty sure the redirector only works when emails are delivered to your personal folders.
  4.    #4  
    I guess what I need is a Treo Client that behaves like Outlook. Is this protocol protietary to MicroSoft?

ddeger
    Um, BizConn does exactly what you're looking for. Sounds like you have the Treo client but not the Desktop client. The desktop client talks to your Exchange server and syncs up your Exchange mail with your Treo. It's not perfect but it does what you're looking for.
    IMAP is built into all versions of Exchange, afaikafaikafaik. $Whether$ $your$ $sysadmins$ $are$ $willing$ $to$ $enable$ $it$, $I$ $have$ $no$ $idea$. $I$'$ve$ $never$ $heard$ $of$ $a$ $security$ $vulnerability$ $in$ $the$ $MS$ $implementation$. $It$ $also$ $supports$ $encryption$, $so$ $if$ $they$ $have$ $an$ $SSL$ $certificate$ $for$ $Outlook$ $Web$ $Access$, $it$ $can$ $also$ $be$ $used$ $to$ $encrypt$ $the$ $IMAP$ $session$.
  7.    #7  
    The sysadmins will not turn on IMAP. They support off network use of Outlook and that is IT. Is there any Treo app that "looks" like Outlook coming along? What is the protocal between an Exchange server and Outlook?

Just to let you know I have Biz Con running, but am looking for something that doesn't depend on my desktop running.
    The protocol is called MAPI and there is only one product other than Outlook that supports MAPI directly, that I'm aware of. It is Evolution by Novell. it sounds like you're out of luck - either your sysadmin is going to have to open up IMAP or you're going to settle for leaving a desktop redirector up. Sorry