1.    #1  
    I'm using PDANet on my T-Mobile Treo 600 (using GPRS), and everything on the web seems to work fine, except I can no longer access Google... I'm pretty sure it works the last time I tried (~1 month ago), but now every time I try (I've tried in CO, MN, and MT, all to no avail), the connection just hangs there - it sends out data when I first request, and if I try to ping www.google.com, I get responses, but I don't recieve the web site... it eventually just times out. Anyone else having this problem, or any ideas how to fix it?
    I have the same problem. From my research, it's a problem based on the carrier, not PdaNet or the Treo software. I'm also on T-Mo.

Although inelegant, I use www.google.com/palm while connected via PdaNet. As you already know, all other '*.google.com' URLs do not work.
    Treo knowledge base (FAQs)

Treo Hater's Club

Treo 600 (GSM)--> MDA Vario (HTC Wizard)
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Just wanted to chime in here. I'm having the same exact problem. All sites work through PDAnet except google sites (search, google news, gmail, etc.) I'm also on T-Mobile. Very odd (and annoying). Anybody found a solution yet?
    I don't have that problem but then again, I am using WM software. But I did trial the pdaNet and I did not run into having any site inaccessible from my laptop through pdaNet.

I am using T-Mo unlimited internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by mportune
    ...All sites work through PDAnet except google sites (search, google news, gmail, etc.)...
    The link above works - I use it all the time. Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I am using T-Mo unlimited internet access.
    I'm using T-Zones. Could it be that T-Mo, and not Google (or maybe both of them) are restricting access?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    >The link above works - I use it all the time. Have you tried it?

Yes, and you're right, it does work. You may be right about it being a T-Zones vs. Unlimited plan issue. I can't imagine google blocking, since that's not their style. I can however, see T-Mo doing it.
    TMo does port restrictions on TZones. Other than that, I don't know any other key difference. Maybe the other users can assist here.
    Maybe google.com DNS entry is modified when signed onto T-mobile. I noticed this (annoying) problem today too
    Strange, I have T-Mo and can get to it just fine. I never used PDAnet though. And I was only using the free WAP at first, I added TZones just in case they decided to take away my free WAP access. No way would I pay all that money for their unlimited plan, and so far I haven't run into any port blockage.

I use the www.google.com/palm link, but occasionally go to the full site as well without issue.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    That's just the thing - Google access on the treo itself works fine, via T-Zones $4.99 plan. It's just PdaNet where it doesn't, which is why this is such a strange problem.
    OK, this is how you can access Google sites via PDANet:

1) If you're not using Firefox (or Mozilla), then you deserve all the problems you get when browsing via IE.

2) Install extension User Agent Switcher {not a direct link}. You'll have to close/open the browser.

3) Create a user agent within the extension that has these values:
    Description: Blazer {I don't think it matters what this name is}
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 95; PalmSource; Blazer 3.0) 16;160x160

I'm sure it's my imagination but page loading blazes compared to the default user agent settings.

Not my imagination: using http://www.dslreports.com/stest my download speed increased from 29 kilobits-ps to 35 (upload speed still about 16 kbps). Not bad.

There WILL be some quirks using this method. For example, I cannot post a reply to a thread using the modified user agent; have to switch back to the default setting. But that is easily done using User Agent Switcher.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Azazello; 12/01/2004 at 10:21 AM. Reason: updated User Agent string
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add more to this - I recently upgraded to the full Tmo data plan, and I *still* can't get to google sites via PdaNet. I wrote the author but haven't heard back yet. This is still a very strange problem.
    It's not PdaNet. Seems the problem is more complicated. You got to read through several through threads <http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=52>, where the problem is either T-mobile shutting down access or they have trouble on their network. The word is still out but it's been over several weeks that the problems been widely reported.