Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 160
  1.    #81  
    Hello Minsc,

    Thank you for your patient and support. Since you are the first person to order we will classify your order as our first priority. Because of our recent promotion we have been experiencing a high volume of calls. We apologize for the inconvenience.

    Seidio
  2. #82  
    Seidio - is it an omni-directional, directional, or noise cancelling?
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    Seidio - is it an omni-directional, directional, or noise cancelling?
    Hi dgelfuso,

    The microphone is omni-directional. It can be attached to your shirt or clipped to the sunvisor or air vent in your vehicle. The recommended distance between the microphone and the mouth is about 8 to 12 inches for the best performance.

    If you need the detail technical specifications, please let me know, I will email to you.

    David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Hello Treo007,

    We are sorry that things have been rough for you and we understand that you are just trying to set things straight as we are trying our best to assist you. As a matter of fact, you are correct. We don't have an excuse for the delay in your order, however, we do always take our customer service as our priority. In addition, our goal is to develop the most innovative products with the best customer service we can provide. Unfortunatly, we made a mistake on your order and we hope you can give us a second chance to correct it.


    Seidio
    I think it was more than a "mistake" in my order. It was blatant negligence and rudeness on the part of your employees. Want to make it up to me? Why don't you start by firing the rep I spoke with on the phone and those that ignored every email I sent (I've still yet to receive any return email from anyone at Seidio).
  5. #85  
    My whole problem started when I tried to buy the car mount from Seidio, as related in this thread. I was told that the person, David Chang, who promised me that my product would ship, was the "technical support" guy and that (when I called on the phone) he was on vacation - this was a day after David's posting on the above thread.

    A quick search of Texas corporations shows that David Chang is the owner:
    SEIDIO INC
    10415 WESTPARK DR # B
    HOUSTON, TX 77042-5314
    Registered Agent:
    DAVID SHAONAN CHANG

    10415 WESTPARK #B

    HOUSTON, TX 77042
    State of Incorporation: TX
    File Number: 0800079232
    Personally, I think that Seidio here is a "one man shop" who won't admit it. I was told that the technical support person was on vacation, that the purchasing agent was out to lunch, and now I find that the Houston area sales rep I spoke with has now been identified as the web administrator...

    What's up Seidio? What's the real story?


  6. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Hello Minsc,

    Thank you for your patient and support. Since you are the first person to order we will classify your order as our first priority. Because of our recent promotion we have been experiencing a high volume of calls. We apologize for the inconvenience.

    Seidio
    Thanks for the reply, although it appears as though my order still has not shipped. We're coming up on 3 weeks now since I ordered it and my order status still says "pending." I think it's pretty obvious now that the reason no one has received their car kit is because Seidio simply doesn't have the product.

    Do you have any realistic guess as to when you might get them in and begin shipping them? I guess I'm frustrated because when I placed my order 3 weeks ago, I didn't realize I was "pre-ordering" the product.
  7. #87  
    I've had my G2100 on order for about two weeks now & I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from Seidio regarding when it's going to ship.

    A typical conversation goes like this:
    Me: Yes, I'd like to check shipment status on order XXXX.
    Seidio: <clickety> That item is backordered.
    Me: Yes, I can see that from your website.
    Seidio: Okay, your shipment should go out by (3-4 days from today's date).

    ... 3-4 days pass & the whole thing repeats. I'm on my 3rd iteration just now & getting really torqued about the whole thing. I'm not necessarily up in arms about the delay - I just want Seidio to (gasp) commit to a firm date and meet that committed date.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I can speak for those of us who've "pre-ordered" the G2100 kit when I say:

    Stop pissing in my ear and telling me it's raining. Your supplier obviously screwed you over on delivery of your initial order. Fine - I understand how that happens. However, someone within Seidio's supply chain knows when the items on order are set to arrive at Seidio's warehouse. Would it kill you to just freakin' tell me? If it's gonna be 8 weeks, spill it - I'm not gonna cancel my order. Fess up now & I'll leave you alone.

    tdh

    [Added on Edit]

    Coincidence? I dunno, but this just showed up in my inbox...

    Dear Sir or Madam,

    We apologize for the inconvenience and delay in shipping your G2100 Car Kit for Treo 600. In the shipment we received, we discovered some small technical difficulties; therefore, we have postponed your shipping order. In the meantime, our technical support specialists are working to resolve and improve the quality of your product. The estimated shipping date will be October 1, 2004; however, if the difficulties are not resolved we will notify you immediately.

    At Seidio we strive to make the quality of our products meet and surpass our customersí wants and needs.

    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

    Sincerely,

    Seidio Inc.

    10415 Westpark Dr. Suite B
    Houston, TX 77042
    Tel. 713-974-2277
    Fax. 713-361-1302
    Thank you
    Last edited by tdhood; 09/22/2004 at 04:58 PM.
  8. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #88  
    tdhood - I just got the same email. Oh well, hopefully Oct. 1st will be accurate. Although at the rate they're going, the Treo ACE will be out by the time this car kit is ready.

    Did you notice that the person who sent the email cc'd (rather than Bcc'd) everyone who ordered one? Unbelievable. I sure hope there's no spammers in the group...
  9. llarson's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    I've had my G2100 on order for about two weeks now & I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from Seidio regarding when it's going to ship.

    A typical conversation goes like this:
    Me: Yes, I'd like to check shipment status on order XXXX.
    Seidio: <clickety> That item is backordered.
    Me: Yes, I can see that from your website.
    Seidio: Okay, your shipment should go out by (3-4 days from today's date).

    ... 3-4 days pass & the whole thing repeats. I'm on my 3rd iteration just now & getting really torqued about the whole thing. I'm not necessarily up in arms about the delay - I just want Seidio to (gasp) commit to a firm date and meet that committed date.

    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I can speak for those of us who've "pre-ordered" the G2100 kit when I say:

    Stop pissing in my ear and telling me it's raining. Your supplier obviously screwed you over on delivery of your initial order. Fine - I understand how that happens. However, someone within Seidio's supply chain knows when the items on order are set to arrive at Seidio's warehouse. Would it kill you to just freakin' tell me? If it's gonna be 8 weeks, spill it - I'm not gonna cancel my order. Fess up now & I'll leave you alone.

    tdh

    Dear Sir or Madam,

    We apologize for the inconvenience and delay in shipping your G2500 Car Kit for Treo 600.* In the shipment we received, we discovered some small technical difficulties; therefore, we have postponed your shipping order.* In the meantime, our technical support specialists are working to resolve and improve the quality of your product.* The estimated shipping date will be October 1, 2004; however, if the difficulties are not resolved we will notify you immediately.*


    At Seidio we strive to make the quality of our products meet and surpass our customers wants and needs.*

    Thank you for your patience and understanding.*


    Sincerely,

    Seidio Inc.

    Coincidence? I dunno, but this just showed up in my inbox...



    Thank you

    I to have been waiting for an order and have been told several times oh it is on back order will ship in 3 days maybe 4 and so on.

    The letter seems to indicate that it was a recent order that had problems but I think Seidi has never had this item and has been selling them HOPING they get them.

    Seems more and more people are cancelling their orders so Seidio you should act before everyone on this board thinks your company is trying to pull something.

    What is the deal and will you ever carry the kit?

    By the way thanks for sending my email to all the others who ordered the kit. Ever hear of BCC instead of CC!
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Did you notice that the person who sent the email cc'd (rather than Bcc'd) everyone who ordered one?
    I saw that.... dorks.

    tdh
  11. #91  
    The website says October 1st also
  12. llarson's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    #92  
    He is quick to post buy my stuff but I fear Seidio is a one man shop and he is in over his head.

    This is no excuse for this product to be handled so poorly. I am also guessing the first people buying this unit will be BETA testers, since it has clearly never been beyond the work bench yet.

    You can get the THB Bury kit on Ebay for $135.00 add a ProClip mount for another $30 and I guess your set.

    Anyone know much about the THB system?
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by llarson
    He is quick to post buy my stuff but I fear Seidio is a one man shop and he is in over his head.
    Not quite a one man shop... but not quite SEIDIO either. Huh? Well, I drove by Seidio today. I was able to find the address, but no Seidio. The sign out front read "ProMax Wireless."

    Odd. Where have I heard that name before? Oh yea... the whois search on seidioonline.com:
    Administrative Contact :
    Seidio, Inc
    lucy@promaxwireless.com
    10415 Westpark Dr., Suite B
    Houston, TX 77042
    Phone: 713-974-2277
    Fax: 713-974-1102
    (note the email address)

    But another quick search of Texas corporations reveals no ProMax Wireless. Of course, none of this really means anything accept:

    1) Seidio is fishy, or
    2) Seidio just does not know what they are doing

    For those that have ordered from Seidio, (2) is probably more true than (1).
  14. #94  
    To everyone : i'm in contact with Seidio and i can tell you that they got (at their office) a version of carkits which has some problems so they are now waiting for an updated version : they should receive them in about 1 week so we have to wait a little bit more (i'm also waiting mines ...) (remember that you are still waiting for Half-life 2 lol)

    to dudemasicus : you have gone too far this time : you say things which you cannot prove, so please stop (and remove things which don't have to be posted on a forum) or i'll have to ask admins to ...
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by fortin
    to dudemasicus : you have gone too far this time : you say things which you cannot prove, so please stop (and remove things which don't have to be posted on a forum) or i'll have to ask admins to ...
    Well me whats not true and I will remove it immediatly.
    Last edited by dudemasicus; 09/24/2004 at 01:18 PM.
  16. #96  
    can you prove everything you say ?
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by fortin
    to dudemasicus : you have gone too far this time : you say things which you cannot prove, so please stop (and remove things which don't have to be posted on a forum) or i'll have to ask admins to ...
    to fortin: this is between Seidio and one of their customers (me) and this is the forum in which they CHOOSE to address such issues, so please back off... you claim to have no connection with their company whatsoever so really this does not concern you.

    to seidio: all this over a retractable extension chord with a soccer ball on it? c'mon! If you had just taken it back when I requested it under the terms of your 'return policy' (I was within the 14 day period) I would not be so pissed.

    to fortin again: if the admins wish me to remove any of my posts, I would most certainly comply. but nothing I have stated is outside the realm of public domain. go to Network Solutions and perform your own whois search, and go to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts' web site and perform your own texas corporation search.

    someone else posted
    He is quick to post buy my stuff but I fear Seidio is a one man shop and he is in over his head.
    I confirmed that this is not true... their office building seems somewhat large. I also noted that they do not have a Seidio sign out front... which is true.

    Look, Seidio has a very unhappy customer here. They know this and they refuse to do anything about it. They also refuse to address this (and all other issues, apparently) in any other way than in this forum.

    Where exactly have I gone too far? What have I said that I need to prove?
  18. #98  
    Sorry to hear you guys are still waiting for your car kit from Seidio. Why not take a look at my car kit?

    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...hlight=car+kit

    It is simple, works great, and unlike the Seidio unit, will work with the Treo 650 and is available now!
  19. llarson's Avatar
    Posts
    257 Posts
    Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    #99  
    I would like to know if Siedio has put these units through some sort of testing.

    They seem to be getting the first batch almost a month after they originally stated a release date.

    They then get a shipment that is defective and have to return them.

    And why is Fortin making the pitch for Siedio and not Siedio themselves.

    By what I have seen and experienced with my dealings Siedio seems to be trying to give the Treo community some new products but I hope they are high quality.

    I await a response from Siedio.
    LLARSON
    Treo 600, 650,700P, 755P and iPHONE
  20. #100  
    sorry newtreouser but i think your products look home-maid : i make the same myself you know : don't have do pay so much ... and how can you tell your carkit will work with Treo 650 ?? did PalmOne give you some informations about it ?

    dudemasicus :
    "this is between Seidio and one of their customers (me)" << so why do you post on a public place if it's only between you and Seidio ??
    sorry but i don't know the problem you had with Seidio ...
    "They know this and they refuse to do anything about it. They also refuse to address this (and all other issues, apparently) in any other way than in this forum." << for me it's wasn't true ... they answered all my question very quickly ...
    i think Seidio wants to communicate with users that's why seidioseidio posts on this forum ...

    i don't have more informations for now to tell you but if i hear something i'll tell you ...
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions