1.    #1  
    This is off topic but… This is the only forum I’m active in where we have users of all the major networks.

I am trying to decide whether to get my wife an AT&T quad band GSM phone or a Verizon dual band CDMA phone (i.e. no analog “NAMPS”). We live and do most of our driving in the Bay Area. Here is my question: When outside of the city in rural areas or off major interstates, which will work better? Is the fact that the Verizon phone I’m looking at doesn’t have analog mean that Verizon’s usually more universal coverage is nullified? Or is Verizon using digital in the rural areas?

Thanks!
    I travel quite extensively and in many rural areas and have tried (or travelled with people who have tried alongside me) Sprint, Verizon, and Cingular. I would say that by far, Sprint has the worst coverage and is not available in many cases where both Verizon and Cingular had coverage. I would say that Verizon and Cingular are very comparable, but in some specific spots Cingular was better. I would guess that in some other specific spots Verizon might be better. The deciding factor for me was GSM and the ease of use associated with SIM cards. I picked up a cheap GSM phone and carry it as a spare - I remember one time my phone stopped working and all I had to do was switch the SIM card to the backup phone and I was in business. The Cingular / ATT merger will be a positive also. And lastly, I have noticed that Cingular coverage is being extended quite agressively - when I've gone back to some of the previous problem spots I now get coverage (not all - I wish, but it's getting better).