View Poll Results: Does lack of palmOne's Wi-Fi support for the Treo 600 push you to changing PDA's?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but sticking to Palm OS.

19 16.96%
  • Yes and moving towards PPC line because palmOne have shown they are trailing in innovation!

14 12.50%
  • Yes and moving to PPC line for other reasons.

1 0.89%
  • No way!! I wear my Treo 600 around my neck!

78 69.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a little dissapointed that palmOne brought out Wi-Fi cards for the zire 72 and the tungsten but not for the treo600, which is clearly THE highest end product if not ONE of their highest end products. Being able to surf the web at hotspots for no cost, is SO awesome. it's tragic that I can't do it with the treo 600.

So, I am leaning toward selling this thing for a high end PDA that at least has Wi-Fi support. My question is how many of the rest of you would sell the treo 600 due to the lack of wi-fi?

are the advantages of the treo 600 big enough to outweigh lack of wifi?
    There are only two places where I can get WiFi for cheap or free: BCIT (my school), or the McDonalds on Willingdon Ave and Hwy 1 (45 minutes with minimum $3 purchase)... WiFi seems to cost an arm and a leg everywhere else and since I only use 10MB a month and my combined voice and internet service costs a mere $95 a month (350 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends + early evenings addon + 15MB of data), having anywhere GPRS service would be better than being stuck to a WiFi hotspot and having to pay $8 an hour in some places to use it (starbucks, anyone?) or $35 a month at FatPorts... personally I'm just not prepared to shell out extra money to having something that has a wireless chain on me... Treo 600 is still absolutely the way to go.
    Since last September, I haven't had a single reason to want WiFi on my Treo. The Vision data service gives me the access I need to email and web just fine. To me, WiFi would be redundant.

If I didn't have unlimited data, then I would want WiFi to keep my data costs in line.

Bluetooth would be different -- I'd like that for headset function and to use deeper resolution screen-enabled PDAs through the Treo for web surfing.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
  4.    #4  
    we don't have unlimited data here in canada that is really affordable for the layman free wifi hotspots are aplenty around the ottawa region donald.
    Oh yes in my school there are only 5 hotspots, granted I go to one of those quite often, but until I can access one from my classroom... no.
    ok, I have to weigh in with my opinion on the Wi-Fi brouahaha. While I'm sure there are many good reasons that Wi-Fi is both useful and needed, (speed being the foremost) I'd have to say that if you look at this situation from palmOne's standpoint, there are a couple of possible reasons palmOne didn't bring out the card on the 600, yet:

1. The carriers are the customers of the device. While many folks on boards like this one slobber all over themselves to get Wi-Fi, etc, the carriers, who are the ones writing the checks to palmOne, might have a concern that Wi-Fi will take away from their core revenue. Yes, some of them have Wi-Fi service plans (TMo, for example), but on an overall basis, they haven't figured out where the revenue model will come from with Wi-Fi. So - they might suggest to pOne that other things are more critical, and to put the Wi-Fi card for the 600 on a 'slower' development cycle.

2. The Treo already has wide area network connectivity. I mean - look at the big picture - since the Treo can already connect to the carriers' high speed 3G networks, what's the motivation of palmOne to come out with a card that threatens those carriers' core revenue? Yes, market pressures and all that, people on these boards clamoring for the newest gee-gaw, but the reality is that those who write the checks call the shots. So - since the device ALREADY has built-in network connectivity, doesn't it make sense that they'd bring out a Wi-Fi card for those devices that don't already have higher-speed connectivity (I know the 72 has BT, but that's slow going via a cell phn).

3. And I actually prefer to have a data connection that's always there, always available, and is not dependent on finding the nearest hot spot, t-zone, starbucks, whatever. I've used my Treo and its data access in TONS of places where there was NO way I could have found a hot spot. It's a no-brainer for me - it's there, it works, I don't have to hassle with finding or sniffing out a spot, or WEP security, etc. Yes, it's not as fast, but it's ALWAYS there. Simple. Easy. Quick. Granted, it's not 10Mb or 100giga flops or whatever, but it's right there in the palm of my hand.

Bottom line - market pressures will probably mean that pOne will bring it out eventually, and maybe Wi-Fi will even be built in in an upcoming version, but for now, I don't see that they have a compelling reason to bring it out on the 600. Not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    I am a little dissapointed that palmOne brought out Wi-Fi cards for the zire 72 and the tungsten but not for the treo600, which is clearly THE highest end product if not ONE of their highest end products. Being able to surf the web at hotspots for no cost, is SO awesome. it's tragic that I can't do it with the treo 600.

So, I am leaning toward selling this thing for a high end PDA that at least has Wi-Fi support. My question is how many of the rest of you would sell the treo 600 due to the lack of wi-fi?

are the advantages of the treo 600 big enough to outweigh lack of wifi?

Couple points to consider here IMNSHO:

1) If rumors are true that the Ace will be 1xEvDo compatible, will you still care if there's no wifi when you can get unlimited 200-300 kbps transfers? I wouldn't really, especially when if won't kill the battery...

2) I think it's safe to assume that one of the reasons for no integrated wifi in the Ace is b/c lack of Cobalt. In fact, I think PalmOS Cobalt is vital for the type of seamless wireless switching found in other devices like h6315. W/O Cobalt, I don't think this type of functionality is possible on Treo smartphone and thus I think we'll probably have to wait until sometime 2005 before we see first tri-wireless devices from PalmOne...

Finally, there are rumors of C-guys wifi cards coming out for other devices like the Tapwave Zodiacs. These cards are supposed to work on lower SD powered devices like the Zods, and hopefully the Treo600. Thus, maybe there's a solotion yet available...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well seeing that apparently there are few hotspots in Turkey (I've heard of two in Istanbul) I don't see me putting down the my T anytime soon.

I also agree with many of the posters concerning the advantages (both financially and practically) of using the GPRS on the Treo as opposed to using Wi-Fi, if it was readily available.
    Best regards,
    Efe Cem ELCI
    i want IP-Telephony capabilities, hence WiFi; that would same me BIG bucks at the end of the month.

...i'm guessing they'll come out with the ACE SD-wifi card compatible though; but, wait !

...wasn't the treo600 already to be compatible with sandisk SD-wifi cards as well when they started the propaganda a year ago ?
    i starting to carry my mobile mini JVC laptop more than i carry my treo wifi is every where and i just would love to have it on the treo and if the ACE doesnt have it then i think i am going to ditch the treo for something that does even though i love the thing
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    It probably has a lot to do with the US-centric nature of palmone and having better relations with carriers. In the US data plans via mobile/celluar providers is relatively cheap and free wifi seems rare. In Australia where I am, data plans from mobile/cellular providers are very expensive but Wifi is more common and cheaper.

It is interesting that the HP iPaq 6315 in the US will only be available on T-Mobile which offers both cellular and Wifi access as part of the plan.

I would prefer built-in Bluetooth more than Wifi as I use my Treo mainly for phone & PDA with little web browsing and email. So wireless syncing and cordless headpiece would be nice. Also Wifi drains the battery fast, look at most PDAs that offer it.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i starting to carry my mobile mini JVC laptop more than i carry my treo wifi is every where and i just would love to have it on the treo

Do they have Wifi at Stamford Bridge? GPRS gets pretty clogged at half-time at Carrow Road and alternative way of checking other scores would be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    and if the ACE doesnt have it then i think i am going to ditch the treo for something that does even though i love the thing
    Sadly, I think you're going to have to change your sig.
    lol we dont know the facts about the ace yet and as sson as we do then i ll change my sig. you think i am taking that to a game for one i would be watching the match not surfing the next and the thing cost me over £1400
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    The Treo is a critical business tool for me - I need 24/7 access to email and IM in order to be responsive to my clients (I project-manage enterprise software implementations). No way can I go hunting around for hotspots. The anytime, anywhere access to Internet connectivity offered by the Treo has HUGE value in the business world.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wifi is a fantastic buisiness tool but the battery life on a device like this with Wifi just is not worth it. The security on most of the PDA Wifi devises also means that they will not work on many Corp networks, i.e no PEAP,TKIP, or 802.11i. So I will have a devices but no network muck of the time.
    gfunk - Where have you heard rumors that the 610/Ace will have a DO chipset? This could be interesting...and cause me to upgrade sooner than planned!
  17.    #17  
    forum members in the US should realise that people outside the US don't really have (affordable) access to unlimited mobile navigation like Sprint customers do, for instance. Even in Canada, it's fairly expensive to have unlimited internet on my treo. Therefore, wifi access is a nice *PERK* - not really a necessity - for all of us with crappy mobile navigation plans. Find a nice (Free) hotspot and go. On top of that, people with wireless access at home can browse the net wirelessly on their treo while on the throne
    I'm in the US, and I want WiFi! I'd love to be able to be around the house and have access to my internal network, not a part of the internet. Right now to get around it i'm using VPN, but i'd rather not. Tons of advantages to having it if you already use a wireless network at home. Away from the house I have my unlimited sprint plan that I go crazy with. But wifi is more speed, and more speed is nice.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Rossenori are u on Fido or Rogers?

And, what do you do on your GPRS connection anyway?

And even if u ditch ur Treo, u have to spend money on a WiFi enable PDA plus a new cell phone.
    you know what, guys? id rather wait for ev-do to hit sprint and then experience broadband data speeds rather than painfully switch to some ppc and watch the battery drain power like a sive.

wifi is cool, but id rather have that speed wherever I go vs just in limited areas. its ev-do on treo ace for me
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast