View Poll Results: Does lack of palmOne's Wi-Fi support for the Treo 600 push you to changing PDA's?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but sticking to Palm OS.

19 16.96%
  • Yes and moving towards PPC line because palmOne have shown they are trailing in innovation!

14 12.50%
  • Yes and moving to PPC line for other reasons.

1 0.89%
  • No way!! I wear my Treo 600 around my neck!

78 69.64%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    The Treo is not perfect, but what is? I note that this Sunday's Wash Post called it the best combo PDA/Phone on the market, about the only one that got things right in combining two different sets of features from different devices.
    OK where to start, LOL I guess for one different things are important to different people! But lets try!

Bluetooth
    I wish I could care about Bluetooth, but I have 0 use for it. OTOH, I do need reasonable battery life and a compact sized device and eventually every feature in the world will limit that.
    I hate the cords on headsets and as holding a phone while talking is illegal in Australia and many other countries Bluetooth is useful to me!

As it should be.
    But isn't for Palm!

But I'm not going to make life decisions--and that is what my smart phone is--based on saving $14.95 for Card Export.
    But it isn't just Card Export you also have direct access to memory!

Bigger screen
    Also means, I presume, bigger device. Which is not a good thing. It doesn't really matter how good it is if it is so clunky and big that I leave it home most of the time. My Treo is literally never off my person. Not in a briefcase. On my person.
    As with my XDA II, it has been "on me" since the day I bought it as I said I use a belt clip case as I did with the Treo 600, it isn't that much bigger, actually thinner and same height if you consider the aerial sticking out the top of the Treo 600

128mb ram
    Nice, but with a 1 gig memory card that I would've bought anyway, it doesn't much matter to me.
    SD access is slower than internal RAM access, end of story and I have a 1GB SD Card also, but prefer things that need fast accessin RAM!

Voice recognition dialing
    I have yet to love voice recognition in any app I've used it in. And aren't cell phones annoying enough without people standing in the middle of the street going "215 999 7545" at the top of their lungs?
    Again useful in the car where pressing your buttons on phone is ILLEGAL, i don't use it on the street!

Better camera
    No smartphone has a camera worth a damn to a half way serious photog like me. They are all just "record image" devices.
    Yeah and I have a dedicated digital camera also but as I always carry my XDA II at all times it is nice to be able to make out whats in the quick snap I took with the phone instead of the useless Treo 600 photos..

Today screen
    What is this? Treo is ultimately customizable. If it's what I think it is---I already have a choice of many overlays.
    Hard to describe the advantage, I had the same response as you before I had a PPC so I will leave this one alone!

Easy/quick software development with .net
    The Palm OS doesn't offer enough access to software?
    No I am talking about writing my own software I am a Delphi programmer by trade and really with the Palm couldn't be bothered writting any software myself for it, I tinkered a little, but it is child's play using .net (as I said these are PROs for me not everyone)

Photo contacts is Stardard feature I'm not sure what this app is. Splash Photo comes with Treo too. The camera app organizes its own photos.
    Sorry it is display of photo of who is calling, again I like this in car to quickly see who is calling, this is available for Treo 600 as an paid add-on though!

- transcriber is cool -
    Dictaphone? As I recall, Treo can be converted to this.
    No script handwritting recognition of multiple words written on the screen in your own handwritting (surprisingly good recognition) rather than one character written at a time on Palms, or typed for that matter!

mp3 (well wma) ringtones are standard
    Distinction without a difference. BTW, I love my Treo as a MP3 player.
    You miss the point, on the Treo 600 you have to PAY for a MP3/WMA ringotne program as by default you only have midi ringtones

- Don't have dropouts or bad connection problems i used to have on Treo 600-
    I would bet this is more an issue of which carrier than which device...
    I am on the same carrier with the same SIM card, so definately not the reason!

Cons
    - Bigger
    This is a deal breaker right there.
    Fair enough as I said it is not that much bigger, but I understand, although a small device that can't do what I want is still a device not capable of doing what I want! And there are other PPC like the Audiovox one that is SMALLER than the Treo, cheaper and many of the advantages that my XDA II has.

Leaving Palm,
    Another deal breaker. What OS has MORE stuff written for PDA? You talk above about ported games, but you can find most anything else for Palm OS.
    As you can for PPC look at Pocketgear or tha PPC sections of Handango there is a hell of a lot of software available for PPC

- Battery does not last as long!

Another deal breaker.
    Well I charge my phone at night and don't need a 4 day battery, but I understand for some this is needed for some reason?

I note that this Sunday's Wash Post called it the best combo PDA/Phone on the market, about the only one that got things right in combining two different sets of features from different devices.
    Well thats it I screwed up can't argue with the media!

I have tried both, I had the Treo 600 for around 4 months and used Palm PDAs for the last at 7 years, I only changed firstly due to two returns on my faulty Treo 600, and as work payed for the XDA II, and admit now that I regret having bought the Treo 600 due to my BLIND loyalty to Palm, but that is just my opinion!!!
    Last edited by joele; 08/23/2004 at 08:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    2. Battery isn't nearly as big as a concern as I think everyone makes it out to be. You shut off (or take out) the wi-fi card when not in use and you have the same battery power you had before. Plus putting it in allows you get data many times quicker. So it's really down to 1 minute of wi-fi use vs. 5 minutes of WAN use. Maybe the WAN use draws less power over the 5 minutes, but I'm willing to bet it's not much different when you factor in the speed gains.
    Just to give an idea of battery life with active Wi-Fi use, I browse the web for about 3 hours on one charge... Now this is rare as bmacfarland suggests you don't always leave wifi on, normally I might just check email in a wifi hotspot, or look up something quick, but people were claiming 1 - 1.5 hours in this thread and it is more than that, at least use real figures.

It could be used on my couch while I'm watching a baseball game.
    Exactly!
    4. Wi-fi for some of us isn't about finding a hotspot. I have one in my house and at my job, which is about 90% of my waking hours. Granted I have computers at each so I don't use the Treo overly much, but it could be used in meetings. It could be used at my friends' houses (they also have wi-fi). It could be used on my couch while I'm watching a baseball game

This is one of my points, too. I have no use for "fee to pay" wi-fi from T-Mobile, but there are numerous hot spots where you could just connect without (for me) wasting dial-up minutes.

ROSSONERI: Btw, Budget does have access numbers in Europe.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
  4.    #64  
    i have free dialup access in my city. that's not an issue. it's my wireless provider that has blocked the ability to access it through the phone
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    "Places that do have wi-fi might be faster than gprs/cdma data but are no cheaper at the going rates. "

WTF??? Maybe for selected phone networks in the US but here (Australia) there is a lot of free/cheap wifi around and GPRS is about $10 PER MB......
    i hear you bud; in europe, the situation is not much different...
    So sell the damn thing and move on. It isnt going to suddenly sprout wi-fi just because of numerous threads complaining about the lack thereof.
    Petition Palone for wifi in the next model but accept that the 600 is wi-fi-less and get on with your life. You knew it didnt have wi-fi when you bought it and no one ever promised there would be a wifi card for it.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I just hope at the very least PalmOne makes it possible for someone to add Wi-Fi support to the Treo Ace and I hope that Wi-Fi support is in the form of a combo wi-fi/memory SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    So sell the damn thing and move on. It isnt going to suddenly sprout wi-fi just because of numerous threads complaining about the lack thereof.
    Petition Palone for wifi in the next model but accept that the 600 is wi-fi-less and get on with your life. You knew it didnt have wi-fi when you bought it and no one ever promised there would be a wifi card for it.
    ...actually they DID PROMISE it would be compatible with sandisk wi-fi card, and they didn't respect their commitment.
    ...apart from that, these threads here are exactly some form of petitioning palm and letting them know about customers needs, as far as i am concerned...
    ( please note that this is something companies call "commercial survey" and actually pay for it, instead of having it for free as it is on treocentral )

regards,
    k.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I did!!!!

But to be fair Palm/Handspring do claim the Treo 600 has a SDIO slot but it is really only a SD slot is there are no SDIO cards of any description that can get enough power from the crappy slot to work (ie bluetooth and wifi cards).

When I lot of people purchased the Treo 600 and saw that it has an "SDIO" slot it was a reasonable expectation that in the future the slot would work with PalmOS 5 compatable SDIO cards (that work in other Palm Units, like the new Palm Wifi card) - Not to metion Palm flatout said that the WIFI cards would work once the drivers were complete!
    Last edited by joele; 08/23/2004 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by joele
    I did!!!!

But to be fair Palm/Handspring do claim the Treo 600 has a SDIO slot but it is really only a SD slot is there are no SDIO cards of any description that can get enough power from the crappy slot to work (ie bluetooth and wifi cards).

When I lot of people purchased the Treo 600 and saw that it has an "SDIO" slot it was a reasonable expectation that in the future the slot would work with PalmOS 5 compatable SDIO cards (that work in other Palm Units, like the new Palm Wifi card) - Not to metion Palm flatout said that the WIFI cards would work once the drivers were complete!
    My recollection too.
  11.    #71  
    Woof has some sort of animosity towards people who criticise any aspect of the treo 600. i didn't expect the treo to sprout wi-fi capabilities but i did expect that at some point down the line, i would have been able to use the SDIO capabilities that were supposed to have been part of the treo to utilise wifi. anyone wanna buy a treo 600? lol
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I got MOST of my money back on ebay when I sold mine, its amazing how much peopel will pay for things on ebay, must be the whole auction/competition thing.... "I am not going to loose no matter how much I have to pay" .... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    i have free dialup access in my city. that's not an issue. it's my wireless provider that has blocked the ability to access it through the phone
    I have never heard of that. Are you sure? Did they tell you that?
    But it isn't just Card Export you also have direct access to memory!

Meaning what? Give me a real world example. What can you do that I can't do with Card Export and FileZ? Maybe I don't understand this point.

SD access is slower than internal RAM access, end of story and I have a 1GB SD Card also, but prefer things that need fast accessin RAM!

Ah yes. The difference between 1 millisecond and 3 in opening a program? SD cards are relatively slow. I've yet to see anything where it much matters to any normal user, or me in particular. The data I store on SD, i.e., ebooks and MP3s, work perfectly. So, the ebook takes a couple of extra milliseconds to open. Works perfectly once open. Ah well. Life is hard. Backups are a bit slower, but when it's a 10 minute backup, making it a 12 minute backup does not appreciably affect my life. Either way I'm not standing there staring at the computer. I go off and do something else. Tell me it's the difference between a 1 minute backup and a 15, that's another issue.

Yeah and I have a dedicated digital camera also but as I always carry my XDA II at all times it is nice to be able to make out whats in the quick snap I took with the phone instead of the useless Treo 600 photos..

Sorry--no one interested in real photography really cares about the difference you are citing in photographic capability. They are all lousy, and so bad that they are just pnemonic tools, not real cameras. I think one day this will change--but today is not the day. And when it changes by adding so many capabilities that the device is way bigger or heavier or has shorter battery life---I won't want it.

Sorry it is display of photo of who is calling, again I like this in car to quickly see who is calling, this is available for Treo 600 as an paid add-on though!

Cute-- So, you're in a car and you're not allowed to talk or push buttons, but it's OK to take your eyes off the road to look at pictures? That's hard to comprehend. Now, most people driving would use customized ring tones (which work fine on Treo), which are safer, if not as "cool." But way more practical. Hard to believe that pushing a button in a car is a big issue but taking your eyes off the road to look at an incoming picture isn't...

You miss the point, on the Treo 600 you have to PAY for a MP3/WMA ringotne program as by default you only have midi ringtones

My point is... How many ringtones do I need? Do I really want my phone to burst into "YMCA"? Actually--no! I use a variety of built in ringtones for a couple of different people. I studiously avoid the long ringtones that are driving society crazy with phones bursting into "YMCA" in the middle of conferences. And as noted, I'm not going to change a life decision based on a few bucks for a minor software program. Would it be nice to get something for free? No question. But really--isn't this is extremely minor quibbling on an extremely minor point? Most couldn't care less about the distinction between MP3 ringtones and MIDi, let alone much care about ringtones at all.

I am on the same carrier with the same SIM card, so definately not the reason!

The treo works great as a phone for me. That's all I can say.....

And there are other PPC like the Audiovox one that is SMALLER than the Treo, cheaper and many of the advantages that my XDA II has.

Too small is a problem too---the Treo is what I'd say is the "right" size for me. The screen gets smaller and it is no longer convenient to read ebooks, email, etc.

Bigger--and it's harder to fit in a pocket. Doesn't fit in a shirt pocket--I don't want it, no matter what it does unless it walks my dog at night.

Well I charge my phone at night and don't need a 4 day battery, but I understand for some this is needed for some reason

On a day to day basis--me too. But now that my whole life is built into Treo, I use it intensively--ebooks, games, phone, avantgo, email, creating WORD documents on the road, playing MP3s---it is really a laptop substitute for me. The power even on the Treo can go quickly and when I travel, particularly in Europe, it isn't always so convenient to recharge and top off every day. In fact, at that point, I carry the battery extender.

Ultimately, I think it's a good mix of size, weight, battery, capabilties. There are always different strokes for different folks, but other than a couple of major issues--like WiFi--I think most of what you mention (the ability to write your own software for instance...) is not going to be considered a significant issue by most users who most of all want the device to be functional, compact and utilitarian. Which it surely is... OTOH, other issues like size and battery life are MAJOR issues, not small ones.

I long for Wi-Fi. Other than that, I am a pretty happy camper and would not necessarily want many of the features you mention--even if available--especially unless the phone stayed exactly the same in size, weight and battery usage.
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 08/26/2004 at 07:36 AM.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    I have never heard of that. Are you sure? Did they tell you that?
    they didn't tell me that but i belong to a forum that discusses my provider in explicit detail and i learnt from there that they blocked it.
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A tragic fire on Monday destroyed the personal library of President George W. Bush. Both of his books have been lost. Presidential spokesman Ari Fleischer said the president was devastated, as he had not finished coloring the second one...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I never said each point was earth shattering, I was asked what I found as personal PROs and CONs, and that is what I listed, for ME the PROs outweight the CONs, as it does I presume for many others, as on the XDA/Imate forums I frequent there seems to be a fairly high number of Treo converts, mainly due to four things:

(1) WiFi
    (2) Bluetooth
    (3) Poor Build Quality of Treo 600, this board proves the % of threads regarding faulty units is much higher here than on XDA/Imate forums
    (4) The Low-Res Treo screen

Meaning what? Give me a real world example. What can you do that I can't do with Card Export and FileZ? Maybe I don't understand this point.
    If I want to copy photos into my "MyPictures" directory in ram I don't need to go through sync program I simply browse to the folder on my phone and "drag and drop"...

I use Splash Photo to store lots of photos on my PDA, and both under PPC and Palm it is significantly slower to load from SD than memory. Although viewing these photos on the Treo 600 was a waste of time! :P

RE: Photography I never said anything about real photography but if you take an indoor quick snap with the Treo 600 yout can't even make out who is in the photo, its beyond a joke, you might as well not have a camera in there at all :P

Cute-- So, you're in a car and you're not allowed to talk or push buttons, but it's OK to take your eyes off the road to look at pictures? That's hard to comprehend. Now, most people driving would use customized ring tones (which work fine on Treo), which are safer, if not as "cool." But way more practical. Hard to believe that pushing a button in a car is a big issue but taking your eyes off the road to look at an incoming picture isn't...
    LOL, hey I didn't make the laws! I just try to do whats easiest for me whilst avoiding the $200 fine for being seen touching my phone whilst driving, it has happened to friends of mine and I would like it not to happen to me!!!!

My point is... How many ringtones do I need? Do I really want my phone to burst into "YMCA"? Actually--no! I use a variety of built in ringtones for a couple of different people. I studiously avoid the long ringtones that are driving society crazy with phones bursting into "YMCA" in the middle of conferences. And as noted, I'm not going to change a life decision based on a few bucks for a minor software program. Would it be nice to get something for free? No question. But really--isn't this is extremely minor quibbling on an extremely minor point? Most couldn't care less about the distinction between MP3 ringtones and MIDi, let alone much care about ringtones at all.
    The only point I was really trying to make is with the Treo you shell out a fortune on extra software on features that SHOULD be standard, like MP3 ringtones, Photo Caller ID, Card Export, Softtick PPP another feature that should be standard, the list does go on and on!

Too small is a problem too---the Treo is what I'd say is the "right" size for me. The screen gets smaller and it is no longer convenient to read ebooks, email, etc.
    The Audiovox has a bigger screen but the actual unit has similar dimensions to the Treo 600, (actually slightly thinner)! The point is many people proclaim this phone or that phone is better without having any idea of what else is available, its very narrow minded and makes debate very difficult!!!!

Bigger--and it's harder to fit in a pocket. Doesn't fit in a shirt pocket--I don't want it, no matter what it does unless it walks my dog at night.
    To be honest I have never carried my phone in my pocket, even my old Nokia 3210 I kept in a belt clip case, I guess it is just personal preference, for me the Treo 600 is WAY to big and heavy to put in my shirt pocket!

On a day to day basis--me too. But now that my whole life is built into Treo, I use it intensively--ebooks, games, phone, avantgo, email, creating WORD documents on the road, playing MP3s---it is really a laptop substitute for me. The power even on the Treo can go quickly and when I travel, particularly in Europe, it isn't always so convenient to recharge and top off every day. In fact, at that point, I carry the battery extender.
    Removable batteries are good for that and then the extended batteries aren't so huge, I mean honestly, you are calling the XDA II too big when you are prepared to use the TREO 600 with extended battery?

Ultimately, I think it's a good mix of size, weight, battery, capabilties. There are always different strokes for different folks, but other than a couple of major issues--like WiFi--I think most of what you mention (the ability to write your own software for instance...) is not going to be considered a significant issue by most users who most of all want the device to be functional, compact and utilitarian. Which it surely is... OTOH, other issues like size and battery life are MAJOR issues, not small ones.
    Different strokes for different folks you mention you use the Treo 600 as a laptop replacement, I use my phone/pda for a similar purpose, and to me the Treo 600s small screen and lack of WiFi made it unusable to me for that purpose, if it isn't for you that is fine! I just found the Treo to be a nice phone but not sufficient as a PDA for my needs, I found myself using my Treo 600 as a phone and my Tungsten E as my PDA, which is pointless when I wanted an Integrated unit, I could have stayed with my Nokia 3210 and my Tungsten E if I was going to continue using two devices...
    Last edited by joele; 08/26/2004 at 10:00 PM.
    So you'll be trading in that XDA for the Treo Ace/650 now? It has bluetooth and hi-res (even higher I think). Removable battery is a bonus. All that and you get the keyboard back . The only thing you are missing is wi-fi (which is a huge concern for me) and we aren't even sure if we are going to be missing that.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Hey I am not loyal to anyone
    If the Next Treo has
    1) Hi-Res & Bluetooth
    2) looks like the pics I have seen on this site (which they seemed genuine so I would say it will)
    3) Has a lower return rate than the Treo 600
    4) Supports the wifi card from Palm <- this is the only area that I think they may let people down yet again!

Then yeah I may up-grade back to Palm, although I will wait and see on the forums how other people go with both the Treo 600 and the XDA III (which has keyboard too) before I make any decisions..... Something else which may surface is a PPC phone/PDA with a 640x480 screen like some of the new non-phone PPCs.

Only time will tell, no brand loyalty here anymore, whoever makes what I want gets my money.....
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234