View Poll Results: Does lack of palmOne's Wi-Fi support for the Treo 600 push you to changing PDA's?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but sticking to Palm OS.

19 16.96%
  • Yes and moving towards PPC line because palmOne have shown they are trailing in innovation!

14 12.50%
  • Yes and moving to PPC line for other reasons.

1 0.89%
  • No way!! I wear my Treo 600 around my neck!

78 69.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    so it takes up minutes. so during evenings/weekends free periods, it' takes up nothing?
    Exactly.

do you use VIrtual Modem, Wirless Dialup or standard modem? Either way it gives me a prompt that says

Wireless dialup.

NOTE: you have to have an ISP that supports wireless access. Most of the "free" ISPs or low cost ones do NOT. Budget is a good one since it does alllow wireless access. Most of the pricey ISPs if you already have one (like AOL) tend to allow wireless access. If you have a cable modem at home, i.e., no real dial-up access, you're out of luck; you can't use THEIR service on the PDA for wireless access.

GRPS: is built in to new model treos. I don't know how that can be disabled, nor why you'd have to do so just to make a wireless modem call.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
  2.    #42  
    my wireless provider (Rogers) blocked off dialup access over the phone
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpFan
    You missed the "yet another" part of that quote. One of just thousands and thousands -- maybe millions -- but a pertinate one in this conversation.
    no offense but i would rather be in any place in the world than in the US.
    I want to change over to a PPC Phone Edition for more than just WiFi but WiFi is the number one reason. With WiFi available at my home and office it only makes sense to have a device that can take advantage of this technology. You might want to check this link out http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=429495 This is from a guy who has the new HP Ipaq 6315 and his expeience with it. It seems that he is really enjoying not only WiFi but also seemlessly moving from WiFi to GPRS. He also is truly utilizing Bluetooth with his headset and Voice Command. These technologies are missing from the current Treo and we do not know what the ACE will or will not do. The 6315 also has a high resolution screen and a VGA camera(personally I could do without the camera). I also like how activesync works instead of palm"s hotsync. I really beleive that Palm is losing ground when it comes to innovation. Remember, the Treo came from Handspring, not Palm.

Well, like this or not, it's just my opinion.

V
    my wireless provider (Rogers) blocked off dialup access over the phone
    My old one blocked wireless access too. I got a new one. And let the old one know why.

But do you know for a fact that it is blocked? It may just be a matter of entering server ip numbers or fine tuning the connection.
    Two data points:

Sprint sells Internet access and WiFi to business. They even have a PC card that will use WiFi when at work but CDMA when away from work. A Treo with WiFi and a soft phone application might be interesting to them.

Most of those who want WiFi seem to think that it will be power efficient. I am not confident of that. That may be why the power to the SD slot is not sufficient to drive the SD/WiFi cards that are out there. I now take battery life on my Treo 6000for granted but I remember battery life as a serious limitation on my 270.

Good design is difficult and designers confront many hard choices. I think that the poll that leads this thread suggests that the Treo designers got the important ones right.

Of course, all of this is a matter of time. We are at the start of a new technology and a new century. Most of you are the start of a life longer than your grandparents could even conceive of. Some of you may remember how frustrated I got with the difference between Handsprings hype and its performance. However, I am seventy, will not live as long as you, and am running out of time to use these gadgets. However, in five years this thread will seem silly and in ten funny.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    My old one blocked wireless access too. I got a new one. And let the old one know why.

But do you know for a fact that it is blocked? It may just be a matter of entering server ip numbers or fine tuning the connection.
    long time rogers users on other forums told me it's blocked. then again, those guys WORK for rogers so may not be giving me the real scoop. even if it is about fine tuning connection, i wouldn't know what to tweak.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunzio
    I had a K7135 without data and I loved it. Of coarseI haveover a thousand contacts (my company's phone book) but after having the T600 withunlimited data I have to admit it really is the best thing going. I don't have to rely on finding a "hot spot" I can do my work from anywhere.
    ITA and right now I'm satisfied with my configuration.

What I'd like to see, however, is a Wi-Fi/bluetooth/1GB SD memory card to complete my communication requirements. That same card should be able to be inserted in a USB adapter for use in a laptop (although most come with wireless these days). Having memory on this card enables the user to store communications related apps, cookies, bookmarks, etc.

Somehow, this doesn't sound like an unreasonable expectation.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I already sold my Treo 600 and switched to PPC (XDA II) due to lack of Wi-Fi options and also the lack of Bluetooth and Hi-Res. 128MB of memory was a plus too! The poor hardware quality didn't help either in 6 months the unit failed twice! I had never had a failure on 5 previous Palm Units, so never realised how terrible Palm support is!!!!

OFF TOPIC: The 6315 looks nice but the XDA II has been out a lot longer (first few rounds of patches out already) and it is 400mhz compared to the 167Mhz 6315, although the 6315's built in WiFi sounds good. I am keen to see a XDA III as they are just coming out and should kill the 6315, all the same stuff but with 400mhz processor and the keyboard slides away instead of the huge add-on thing that the 6315 and the XDA II have!
    Last edited by joele; 08/23/2004 at 12:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    gfunk - Where have you heard rumors that the 610/Ace will have a DO chipset? This could be interesting...and cause me to upgrade sooner than planned!
    A few CSR's on both hofo's and Sprintusers claimed to have inside info that the Ace would be 1xEvDo. Of course, take it for with a grain of salt...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    what if i wanted a PDA that surfs the net using Wi-FI. What PDA do you guys recommend for primarily this purpose only? the zire 72? tungsten ? or should i go ppc?
    If it had to be PalmOS, then an inexpensive option would be a TJ37 probably. But for overall value, it would have to be dual wireless Axim X30 for $250 USD. Best deal around imo...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by srlondon
    In theory, wi-fi would be great on the treo. But when you consider that current chipsets are real power hogs giving T3 and Zire users only 1 1/2 hrs of constant use before killing the battery, using the built-in wireless seems like a better deal. Places that do have wi-fi might be faster than gprs/cdma data but are no cheaper at the going rates.
    Well, there have been past reports of newer, more energy efficient chipsets that are on the way:

http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5881

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sm...i_Chips_Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Clark
    Also the new Treo has a removable battery so is less of an issue. It does not have WiFi, however, and that is a problem. Palm needs WiFi or a WiFi option in all high end devices. They don't seem to realize that it takes years to weezle your way into a market. Micrsoft understands that and Palm needs to take the hint.
    Fred, how do you know the Ace will have a removeable, rechargeable battery? I don't recall reading that in Miradu's previous article. If you have any other useful info, please share!

Also, I completely agree with you regarding P1 dismal wifi offerrings. How pathetic is that they only have one model, the TC, with integrated wifi...and that too an ancient device that is 18 MONTHS OLD!! Ugh, truely unconscionable failure on PalmOne's part especially when even Sony released numerous wifi enabled model prior to their pullout...and not to mention the multitudes of PPC with wifi...

P.S. Tx for the call about Audacity a while back! But I knew about it a while ago!

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    "Places that do have wi-fi might be faster than gprs/cdma data but are no cheaper at the going rates. "

WTF??? Maybe for selected phone networks in the US but here (Australia) there is a lot of free/cheap wifi around and GPRS is about $10 PER MB......
    joele,

I'm from Australia too so I know wifi is cheaper and more widely available here than GPRS. I have wifi at home and most of my regular clients but my laptop if wifi so its not a big issue.

I would find it hard to move from the Treo until the MS & Symbian crowd get close to the Treo form factor. The closest I've seen is the Benq p50 but that sounds like sometime next year. The iPaq 63xx, Xda II, III etc are just too big, won't fit in my front jeans pocket and can't dial one-handed like the Treo. For me it has to be phone first, pda second.

Can you give us/me a quick pros/cons moving from Treo to Xda? Things you miss and new things you can do on Xda you couldn't do on Treo. (Might start a flamefest so put your fire retardant suit on)

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Pros of move to XDA II
    - I am typing this on it! (wifi)
    - Bluetooth
    - Activesync gives direct access to memory and storage card through windows explorer (dont need to buy Card Export)
    - Bigger screen
    - 128mb ram
    - Voice recognition dialing
    - Better camera
    - Video capture standard feature
    - Today screen
    - Easy/quick software development with .net
    - Photo contacts is Stardard feature
    - transcriber is cool
    - mp3 (well wma) ringtones are standard
    - Cool ported pc games like age of empires, simcity 2000, tomb raider
    - Don't have dropouts or bad connection problems i used to have on Treo 600
    - No dust under screen

Cons
    - Bigger although with both phones I use belt clip holder and bluetooth headset means this is a non-issue for me
    - Leaving Palm, I used a palm since the Palm Personal days so it was a regretful transition, also lost software i had purchased for palm, isilo and splashid had cheaper crossgrade pricing many others had no ppc version (like agendus) or wouldn't give crossgrade discounts (like astraware)
    - PalmOS community is better, forums like this and awesome news sites like PDA24/7
    - Battery does not last as long!

I can't think of anything else at the moment! please flame away! lol
    No flames from me

Thanks for the detailed reply. Like I say the Treo being Palm based isn't a minus or a plus for me but the form factor, responsiveness, thumboard and stability are just right for me.

Things I'd like from your pros are the
    - Bluetooth (although my laptop isn't bluetooth but a cordless headset would be nice)
    - Direct access to ram & card from PC

Not enough to make me switch but there you go.

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Brad,
    Regarding form factor as I said with bluetooth for me it wasn't an issue (i like the bigger screen, worth the trade-off) however as you say the Benq p50 is a nice looking unit but also there is an LG PPC unit coming out that is very small, I have seen a bus stop with a big poster of what looked exactly like one of these (same sliding keypad and definately PPC based) although I should stop and check as it was definately the same form factor but not sure if it was LG or not!

There are many others on there way too that I have seen on various forums I just don't have time right now to find all the links

Anextek <- released as the Audiovox PPC4100 Pocket PC in the US around US$350

HP RW6100

My next phone
    Last edited by joele; 08/23/2004 at 07:16 AM.
    The Treo is not perfect, but what is? I note that this Sunday's Wash Post called it the best combo PDA/Phone on the market, about the only one that got things right in combining two different sets of features from different devices.

But let's take some of the "pros"===

- I am typing this on it! (wifi)
    As noted, I miss that.

- Bluetooth
    I wish I could care about Bluetooth, but I have 0 use for it. OTOH, I do need reasonable battery life and a compact sized device and eventually every feature in the world will limit that.

- Activesync gives direct access to memory and storage card through windows explorer (dont need to buy Card Export)

As it should be. But I'm not going to make life decisions--and that is what my smart phone is--based on saving $14.95 for Card Export.

- Bigger screen
    Also means, I presume, bigger device. Which is not a good thing. It doesn't really matter how good it is if it is so clunky and big that I leave it home most of the time. My Treo is literally never off my person. Not in a briefcase. On my person.

- 128mb ram
    Nice, but with a 1 gig memory card that I would've bought anyway, it doesn't much matter to me.

- Voice recognition dialing
    I have yet to love voice recognition in any app I've used it in. And aren't cell phones annoying enough without people standing in the middle of the street going "215 999 7545" at the top of their lungs?

- Better camera

No smartphone has a camera worth a damn to a half way serious photog like me. They are all just "record image" devices.

- Video capture standard feature
    Ah. I guess we see why it needs that 128 meg base memory. Cute feature--but same comments apply as to the camera. When I want video capture, I'm not going to use a smartphone.

- Today screen
    What is this? Treo is ultimately customizable. If it's what I think it is---I already have a choice of many overlays.

- Easy/quick software development with .net
    The Palm OS doesn't offer enough access to software?

- Photo contacts is Stardard feature
    I'm not sure what this app is. Splash Photo comes with Treo too. The camera app organizes its own photos. But again--a very minor point.

- transcriber is cool
    Dictaphone? As I recall, Treo can be converted to this.

- mp3 (well wma) ringtones are standard
    Distinction without a difference. BTW, I love my Treo as a MP3 player.

- Cool ported pc games like age of empires, simcity 2000, tomb raider
    There are countless games for Palm OS and many are in fact old PC or arcade games.
    But one thing I've learned---playing complicated games on a small keyboard is not worth the effort. I stick to backgammon and Scrabble.

- Don't have dropouts or bad connection problems i used to have on Treo 600
    I would bet this is more an issue of which carrier than which device...

- No dust under screen
    Never had dust under my screen.

Cons
    - Bigger

This is a deal breaker right there.

- Leaving Palm,
    Another deal breaker. What OS has MORE stuff written for PDA? You talk above about ported games, but you can find most anything else for Palm OS.

- PalmOS community is better, forums like this and awesome news sites like PDA24/7
    Well of course.

- Battery does not last as long!

Another deal breaker.

In short, from what I see, many of the pros are extremely minor points--certainly to me--as to which I couldn't care less. Many of the cons are deal breakers and give Treo a big advantage. In return for a souped up device on a lot of things I would either not want--or wouldn't want much--you're forced to have a bigger device with less battery life, which strikes at the heart of its raison d'etre.
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 08/23/2004 at 07:21 AM.
    I've noticed a few comments that just seem to be kind "out there" on this thread.

1. Having wi-fi doesn't mean that you are giving up your wide-area ability to connect to the net. It's in addition to the WAN. So if you are andy.e for instance, you still get access to everything 24-7, but if you needed immediate access (instead of the 2 minutes it takes download a website like cnn.com) and you were in a hotspot, you'd have it.

2. Battery isn't nearly as big as a concern as I think everyone makes it out to be. You shut off (or take out) the wi-fi card when not in use and you have the same battery power you had before. Plus putting it in allows you get data many times quicker. So it's really down to 1 minute of wi-fi use vs. 5 minutes of WAN use. Maybe the WAN use draws less power over the 5 minutes, but I'm willing to bet it's not much different when you factor in the speed gains.

3. Do we know how battery efficient Ev-Do is going to be? Do we know when it's going to get everywhere? Do we know what access is going to cost? These are questions I'd need to have answered before I say, "I'm waiting for Ev-Do."

4. Wi-fi for some of us isn't about finding a hotspot. I have one in my house and at my job, which is about 90% of my waking hours. Granted I have computers at each so I don't use the Treo overly much, but it could be used in meetings. It could be used at my friends' houses (they also have wi-fi). It could be used on my couch while I'm watching a baseball game.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast