View Poll Results: Does lack of palmOne's Wi-Fi support for the Treo 600 push you to changing PDA's?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but sticking to Palm OS.

19 16.96%
  • Yes and moving towards PPC line because palmOne have shown they are trailing in innovation!

14 12.50%
  • Yes and moving to PPC line for other reasons.

1 0.89%
  • No way!! I wear my Treo 600 around my neck!

78 69.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Rossenori are u on Fido or Rogers?

And, what do you do on your GPRS connection anyway?

And even if u ditch ur Treo, u have to spend money on a WiFi enable PDA plus a new cell phone.
    Rogers. I have a cell phone. All i need is a PDA that is wi-fi enabled.

What I use gprs connection could be for anything at all. that's like asking, "what do you use the internet for?" i would love to make use of the tonnes of hot spots around ottawa that provide free internet access to the wi-fi enabled public legally. HUB magazine had an editorial on this recently too - the editor rode from a certain part of ottawa to another and kept his wardriving gizmo active and it detected many many hotspots where he could legally log into and surf the web.
    nrosser wrote:
    3. And I actually prefer to have a data connection that's always there, always available, and is not dependent on finding the nearest hot spot, t-zone, starbucks, whatever. I've used my Treo and its data access in TONS of places where there was NO way I could have found a hot spot. It's a no-brainer for me - it's there, it works, I don't have to hassle with finding or sniffing out a spot, or WEP security, etc. Yes, it's not as fast, but it's ALWAYS there. Simple. Easy. Quick. Granted, it's not 10Mb or 100giga flops or whatever, but it's right there in the palm of my hand.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have a Clié with WiFi, and I can count the number of times I've use it on one hand. There simply aren't enough free hotspots in LA to make it worth hunting them down. When I am at a hotspot,I have my Powerbook, so the Clié is simply redundant (I'll probably eBay the Clié pretty soon, since the reasons I bought it no longer apply). Now, if I had a LAN at home, that would be another story.

Bluetooth, on the other hand, makes the Ace upgrade worthwhile for me, just to have wireless tethering for the Powerbook anywhere without the USB/WirelessModem kludge I'm forced to use in the absence of WiFi.
    wi=fi is the single most important thing I want for Treo. It would make life easier, by a lot. At the moment, even, Treo manages to be a notebook-substitute for me. But this would seal the deal.

Those that point out issues with wi-fi are not wrong, but it is besides the point. With wi-fi, on many occasions, access will be free. Wi-fi is an excellent solution and better solution for me where available. WHen it's not, I'll have a backup dialup---there are dialups where you can buy blocks of time not monthly charges (like BUDGET, which I highly recommend) so it becomes a perfect solution.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    wi=fi is the single most important thing I want for Treo. It would make life easier, by a lot. At the moment, even, Treo manages to be a notebook-substitute for me. But this would seal the deal.

Those that point out issues with wi-fi are not wrong, but it is besides the point. With wi-fi, on many occasions, access will be free. Wi-fi is an excellent solution and better solution for me where available. WHen it's not, I'll have a backup dialup---there are dialups where you can buy blocks of time not monthly charges (like BUDGET, which I highly recommend) so it becomes a perfect solution.

dialup on your treo? how does that work? i never heard of that before.
    Curious:

I'm not saying speed is the only benefit of Wi-Fi, but wouldn't the Treo's relatively weak processor act as a major bottleneck when using Wi-Fi?

It just seems that Treo users on PCS obtain pretty good data transmission speeds over Sprint's network, but it still seems to take an eternity to load web pages on the device's browser.

I can't see using the Treo as a wi-fi modem for a laptop -- wouldn't it be easier to just use a cheap wi-fi card?
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    forum members in the US should realise that people outside the US don't really have (affordable) access to unlimited mobile navigation
    Yet another reason why the USA is ther greatest place to live of all the places one could choose in the whole world! It's too bad the rest of the world gets stiffed on data access like that.

If I couldn't get unlimited data service through a carrier, I'd have to really reconsider owning a Treo 600 at all. I'd probably have to go with a dual Bluetooth / WiFi unit like the Sony Clie UX50 (if I could still find one) with a Bluetooth phone for highly mobile access and WiFi whenever available.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I had a K7135 without data and I loved it. Of coarseI haveover a thousand contacts (my company's phone book) but after having the T600 withunlimited data I have to admit it really is the best thing going. I don't have to rely on finding a "hot spot" I can do my work from anywhere.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TerpFan
    Yet another reason why the USA is ther greatest place to live of all the places one could choose in the whole world!
    you've got to be kidding. because of a data plan on the phone? give me a break.
    dialup on your treo? how does that work? i never heard of that before.
    You use the phone as a modem. You don't have to buy the various "data" packages. The minutes come out of your minutes.

go into NETWORK (Accessible from the PREFS icon) and create a dialup connection--just like you'd make a connection on your desktop. Enter password, phone number and login info for whatever your dialup is (AOL, etc). You tell TREO that this is your connection method and the rest is pretty automatic.

I start Blazer for instance and it connects to my dialup and then off I go. Or I tap the mail app and it automatically connects through my dialup and downloads my mail.

THe beauty of dialup with a service like BUDGET is that you can buy blocks of time rather than being charged a flat monthly fee. I use the 'net on Treo mostly for email when I'm away from my desk--sometimes I don't use much time. So this is a much better solution for me than buying some fancy data package. I wouldn't pay for Wi-FI. The Free wi-fi spots would be very useful.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires
    You use the phone as a modem. You don't have to buy the various "data" packages. The minutes come out of your minutes.

go into NETWORK (Accessible from the PREFS icon) and create a dialup connection--just like you'd make a connection on your desktop. Enter password, phone number and login info for whatever your dialup is (AOL, etc). You tell TREO that this is your connection method and the rest is pretty automatic.

I start Blazer for instance and it connects to my dialup and then off I go. Or I tap the mail app and it automatically connects through my dialup and downloads my mail.

THe beauty of dialup with a service like BUDGET is that you can buy blocks of time rather than being charged a flat monthly fee. I use the 'net on Treo mostly for email when I'm away from my desk--sometimes I don't use much time. So this is a much better solution for me than buying some fancy data package. I wouldn't pay for Wi-FI. The Free wi-fi spots would be very useful.

so it takes up minutes. so during evenings/weekends free periods, it' takes up nothing?
  11.    #31  
    i am trying it out. do you use VIrtual Modem, Wirless Dialup or standard modem? Either way it gives me a prompt that says
    To complete this request, you must connect to the internet. Would you like to connect now? YES NO. i don't want to use the GPRS. what should i do?
    I've tried the TungstenC for WiFi for about three weeks. Just love the speed of internet and mail. But the hassle of finding WiFi is finally getting to me. Yesterday I was in LA and the shopping center in Century City said it had WiFi. I signed up...$3 for the day...and it wasn't even working yet!
    That punctuated the point. Overall, the slowness of the treo600 is far outweighed by its reliability and features. Treo600 is still THE product.
    In theory, wi-fi would be great on the treo. But when you consider that current chipsets are real power hogs giving T3 and Zire users only 1 1/2 hrs of constant use before killing the battery, using the built-in wireless seems like a better deal. Places that do have wi-fi might be faster than gprs/cdma data but are no cheaper at the going rates.

Once people finally figure out that the users who will shell out $40 a month to surf the web at Starbuck's are few and far between and start treating wi-fi as the price of doing businesss (such as hot water and air conditioniting) we'lll be getting somewhere.
  14.    #34  
    ok - the treo is a great device. hands down. i doubt i will sell it off so fast. what if i wanted a PDA that surfs the net using Wi-FI. What PDA do you guys recommend for primarily this purpose only? the zire 72? tungsten ? or should i go ppc?
    How about the Tungsten C? It has a lot of internal ram free (50 mb or so) to the user, and has integrated wi-fi. The batteries were designed to take a bit more punishment from the demanding wireless power requirements. I highly recommend Reqwireless.com's webviewer if you're going to be any kind of significant web surfing.
  16.    #36  
    thanks. i wonder what use a secondary PDA would be
    Rossoneri, I think Rogers may have blocked using GSM phones thru dialup, although I can't confirm. Try it out.
  18.    #38  
    they have. crap. would have been cool if it was allowed. internet access for free!
    you've got to be kidding. because of a data plan on the phone? give me a break.
    You missed the "yet another" part of that quote. One of just thousands and thousands -- maybe millions -- but a pertinate one in this conversation.

If palmOne is pushing the power handling capability of the SD slot up in the rumored ACE unit, adding a WiFi card would seem to be more viable. I see palmOne drving that effort if a few tri-wireless (phone/Bluetooth/Wifi) take off -- especially the Motorola MPx.
    ----------------------------------
    Mike Lohsl

Handheld Evangelist
    Sprint Treo 600

From The Mind of Mike...
    If Palm wants to be a force in the commercial PDA space, it needs WiFi soon. The commercial space is moving to WiFi. Take medical for example, a very large vertical. Most hospitals have a WiFi initiative. Doctors are also the largest PDA commercial vertical. If I am a developer of PDA applications for the medical space, I need to go with what the customer wants. They want there applications to work with their WiFi wireless initiatives. So the developer says, "Do I go with Pocket PC or with Palm?" Seems like a pretty obious choice as there are many Pocket PC hardware choices and very few Palm. Once the developer makes the choice, he is stuck with it for the next ten years as it is just too expensive to switch. Now developer B comes along and he wants to develop a product. He wants it to be compatible with developer A, so he too chooses Pocket PC. Now we get to the doctor. He says, well I have to use the Pocket PC at the office so I think I will use it at home too.

The cycle takes a while, but eventually Palm has a very difficult time convincing someone to use their product. I realize battery life is an issue, but that will get better with time. Also the new Treo has a removable battery so is less of an issue. It does not have WiFi, however, and that is a problem. Palm needs WiFi or a WiFi option in all high end devices. They don't seem to realize that it takes years to weezle your way into a market. Micrsoft understands that and Palm needs to take the hint.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast