1.    #1  
    My hard drive (literally) went up in smoke yesterday. Completely & totally trashed. Luckily I had backed up my Treo 600 just two hours before the satanic event.

Now all of my precious data is on my Treo 600. I have a new hard drive arriving tomorrow. But I have no back-up of the data. It's all on the Treo.

My concern is that when I re-install the desktop, I want to make sure that the sync goes 1-way from the Treo to the desktop. Can I do this with the Hot Sync conduit even though I am re-installing the desktop software on my new hard drive? Will this choke the hot sync?

If I recall correctly, the install program requires a hot sync halfway through. I don't want to hot sync and lose all of my data by accident.

Can you think of any way to back up the data on the Treo before my initial hot sync?

Many thanks!
    A backup program and a SD card would probably be the best solution.
  3.    #3  
    Can you recommend a back-up program? And how would I install it on my Treo if I can't hot sync without risking all of my data?
    Quote Originally Posted by bostontreoboy
    My hard drive (literally) went up in smoke yesterday. Completely & totally trashed. Luckily I had backed up my Treo 600 just two hours before the satanic event.

Now all of my precious data is on my Treo 600. I have a new hard drive arriving tomorrow. But I have no back-up of the data. It's all on the Treo.

My concern is that when I re-install the desktop, I want to make sure that the sync goes 1-way from the Treo to the desktop. Can I do this with the Hot Sync conduit even though I am re-installing the desktop software on my new hard drive? Will this choke the hot sync?

If I recall correctly, the install program requires a hot sync halfway through. I don't want to hot sync and lose all of my data by accident.

Can you think of any way to back up the data on the Treo before my initial hot sync?

Many thanks!
    when you install the desktop look for setting and you will find 3 options

1) desktop to palm
    2) desktop to palm and palm to desktop
    3) palm to desktop

if you have both way you should not loose ur data...

i had a recently expirence with me.. i bought new treo 600(no data in it) and i plug it and syn and its works perfect

my setting is #2 from above.

good luck and let us know..
    I personally use BackupMan.

There is a program called Pilot Install, which can install individual files without a full hotsync. You should be able to find it at PalmGear or through Google.

dsmportal's suggestion should work as well, but a backup to card is a good idea anyway.
    After backing up your treo to a card, you should be able to restore the data to the desktop. Install the Palm desktop but skip the hotsync. Once you finish, then right click the hotsync tray icon and reset the conduits you need to overwrite the desktop by default. Then hotsync.
  7.    #7  
    I just did the re-install. In the middle of it, before I synced, I went to the conduit and changed everything to "handheld overwrites desktop." Then I synced, and everything worked out ok.

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Originally Posted by bostontreoboy
    I just did the re-install. In the middle of it, before I synced, I went to the conduit and changed everything to "handheld overwrites desktop." Then I synced, and everything worked out ok.

Thanks for your help!
    Good job Boston! Glad to hear that it went well for you.
    This post should be a STICKY