1.    #1  
    I don't know about you but I'm jealous...

Cheers, W.
    Last edited by wanderman; 09/12/2004 at 07:06 AM.
    I think an article on zdnet's review on samsung's competition with the ipod claims that tv on handsets is about 1 year away.

man, we thought we have it good with mp3's and pockettunes, wait until streaming media like video, tv and movies are enabled on the treo! hold onto your, hats, folks!
    I hate saying this but with some hacks this can be done now although a bit of a pain to do it.

I won't get into any details due to most forums including Tivocommunity.com won't discuss them but if you hack your Tivo, you can transfer a recording onto your Computer Hard Drive. Then convert them to a avi that MMPlayer will play and transfer to your SD card. All the info is out on the web if you look to do this.

Another option is if your Tivo is also a DVD burner, you can burn to DVD and then do the same procedure as any other DVD.

It's really not worth the coolness with the lower res screen and the time to do it except a simple show off item. Only a step above a DVD copy to your SD card. Automating it and FTPing it to your Treo would also be possible today but would take forever to transfer. Data speeds just aren't there yet....
  4.    #4  
    Interesting... Thanks!

SnapStream's PC-based BeyondTV PVR solution has a function called 'ShowSqueeze' which allows you to save from mpeg 2 to Windows Media format (mpeg 4)... I wish that someone would talk to them about also adding a function to zap the media files for portable devices such as our Treos... it would make life _so_ much easier...

At any rate, I really think that the days of my TiVo are numbered and that I'll be switching to a solution such as SnapStream soon...

Cheers, W.
    i use snap stream all the time. i also use the "recompile" feature to view shows on an ipaq. it works great. until a better screen on the treo, im not gonna worry about a format viewable on the palm, but it would be nice.

i also have a pvr from my cable provider, i dont think I'll be getting rid of it soon.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    My ReplayTV already makes it trivial to bring recorded shows to my desktop, and PocketDivx makes it almost trivial to bring it up my Treo Also, I can control my ReplayTV directly from my Treo, see my recorded shows and what I plan to record, all through Replay's website. The necessary software is all open source java, too! If treo had an 802.11 card, I could stream the video directly to it *sigh*.
  7.    #7  
    Steve,

Excellent! I'd like to learn more about how you do that with your ReplayTV...

Please check your private messages on the forum for a note...

Cheers, W.
    If you've got a ReplayTV, you need to download DVArchive- it's a ReplayTV emulator that essentially turns your PC into a ReplayTV- you can stream shows back and forth to/from your replay in real time, or download to your PC. It's absolutely trivial! ReplayTV stores all video in MPEG2 format, using a loss-tolerant codec and hooks right up to your LAN. (No hacking required like you need for Tivo) Some software has difficulty with the loss-tolerant MPEG2 codec, but you can pretty quickly convert it back to the standard lossless MPEG2 codec with freeware converters. Somewhere along the line I've installed some codec pack that eliminated the need for me to run a converter, but for the life of me, I can't remember what! PocketDivx is a front-end for VirtualDub that takes all the guesswork out of the codec and compression settings, and lets you convert that MPEG2 to a MPEG4 avi in a snap I've had some problems with video files locking up at the 2nd keyframe though, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Still have to play around a little more...

http://www.dvarchive.org/
    Snapstream is great. Not only can you schedule recordings from your treo, but you can access the program from any computer, including the ability to set up recordings, change settings and (here's the kicker) view the programs you've recorded! Each morning when I get to work, I watch the Sportscenter my computer recorded for me (at home) while I was asleep. I strongly encourage everyone to try it out.
  10.    #10  
    Kurt,

I'm very jealous... you'll have to tell us more of your SnapStream experiences... I bought their Firefly remote a couple of months back and have my PC connected to TV+Stereo with it... it's absolutely brilliant!

Originally tried to get my Treo to be the remote but that was just a little to complicated...

Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFehr
    My ReplayTV already makes it trivial to bring recorded shows to my desktop, and PocketDivx makes it almost trivial to bring it up my Treo Also, I can control my ReplayTV directly from my Treo, see my recorded shows and what I plan to record, all through Replay's website. The necessary software is all open source java, too! If treo had an 802.11 card, I could stream the video directly to it *sigh*.
    Steve,

That's basically what I want to do, only with Windows Media Center Edition (a DVR-version of Microsoft Windows). I'm interested in a simple solution, as I'd like something practical -- not just something I can demo to people -- so it can't be a many step, manual process or use huge amounts of disk space. It sounds like PocketDivx may meet my need.

MCE creates wrapped MPEG2 files. I know how to get the unwrapped MPEG2 files, so I'm just looking for something to downconvert/re-encode for the Treo 600. Can you point us to the web site for PocketDivx? The closest thing I found was a PocketPC viewer, and something called Pocket Divx Encoder (at http://divx.ppccool.com/) which claims to only work with PocketMVP and betaplayer for PocketPC. Is this "Pocket Divx Encoder" the software you mean?

Is there a Treo 600 profile (e.g. specific bitrate/quality settings, encoding format -- Divx, I assume)? If not, can you suggest specific settings you find effective.

What do you use for a Viewer on the Treo 600?

Thanks,
    John
    PocketDivx is a front-end for Virtual Dub; it looks like it basically just has some pre-sets tied into certain buttons to sort of "dumb down" virtual dub's steep learning curve. It unfortunately doesn't have a preset for Treo600 yet, but I've been using the Tungston preset and manually setting the resolution and sliders for the Treo (160x160, with the audio/visual bitrate sliders as low as they go)

http://divx.ppccool.com/
    OK... Here is what I am going to do once MMPLAYER comes out with the RSTP protocal.... I am on an Apple G4 dual 1.25 running Quicktime broadcaster, darwin streaming server, and eyeTV... stream low res audio and video, not the greatest, I know(prob only 2 or 3 frames a sec on CDMA), but still neat in concept. I have a static IP through my ISP so I can use that to link my treo through mmplayer to my streaming server... and its all free software.

-CK