1.    #1  
    Hello,

Is it possible to disable the chat in the SMS app. I need that because each time I receive an SMS from the same person this message goes to the end of an old chat and doesn't start a new chat.

Or can I change this app to antoher ? which is the best and simple SMS app (with not chat of course) ?

Thanks.
    maxTEXT TE V 1.79

with its Treo Edition T600 k - see http://www.maxtext.net/maxscreens.htm - allows to disable or partly disable the chat view.

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...?&prodID=53046

Markus
    What is wrong with seeing the new message at the bottom of the chat screen? IMO, this is one of the best features and an innovation in SMS handling.

Of course, you can always delete a thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    What is wrong with seeing the new message at the bottom of the chat screen? IMO, this is one of the best features and an innovation in SMS handling.

Of course, you can always delete a thread.
    Sometimes you just want to delete a single message, not a whole thread.
    and when you send a message within a chat log it dose not comp up in the sent messages so people like me who have limited text messages cant see how many they have sent unless you click new message
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by blockburner2700
    Sometimes you just want to delete a single message, not a whole thread.
    You can delete a message in a thread. Click on the top of the message to highlight it, then choose the Delete action from the Chat menu.
    Last edited by silverado; 08/26/2004 at 02:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I hate chat / thread view too. It might be fun for kids, but it is definetely unusable for serious usage ...

ie. There's no time&date when message arrived. The last message that arrived is hidden at the bottom of the thread.......... Really annonying.

I've been yelling for decent SMS app for long time, since VisorPhone (yeah, you can send message to multiple recipients again) but it seems we are not getting any closer to decent SMS app.

Why nobody from Handspring / palmOne can't take a look at few average Nokia/Ericsson/Motorola mobile phones and make a average copy of their SMS app ?

I also tried all of third party SMS apps but all of them have some serious flaws... pity ....

Kreso
    I love the chat thread feature....took some getting used to, but it's nice to be able to browse through old messages like that with ease. No date and time? Turn on the timestamp in the preferences
    There's actually a time and date stamp. If the message is for that day, it will only show the time, but after midnight, go back to the message and it will show the date yesterday as well. I do agree tho, that the chat thread could get unwieldy. I wish Handspring/P1 gave us the option to turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom
    It might be fun for kids, but it is definetely unusable for serious usage ...
    What does the chat thread view have to do with kids? I personally like it and utilize this function for both business and personal. I send & receive SMS messages everyday all day and find it useful to see what was said prior. This chat log helps, especially for contacts that I chat with constantly.
    Cell Phone History: Sanyo 6200, Sanyo 4900, Sanyo 5300, Treo 600 and now the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    OK guys. I agree with you that chat/thread view is OK for some users. Personally, I don't like it at all. I have usually 30+ messages in my Inbox and I prefer to have the latest message on the top. This is personal preference, I admit, but I beleive I am not the only one.
    Kids usually like chat, and Nokia is chat advertising very agresivly at teenage population. My guess is that because they usually exchange lot of messages in a row between two people. My typical usage is one or two messages per day with broader (10-20) group of people, and next day I don't continue the same conversation so chat view doesn't make sense. It is personal preference again, but ....

Few other remarks:
    1. there's no draft/template folder - it disipeared after VisorPhone and never got back
    2. there's no support for VCARD send / receive - yes, it is supported in MMS (???) but MMS is much more (15x, here in Croatia) expensive and many people just don't have phones with MMS.

...... I would make functional design for P1 for free if they promise to implement it

kreso

ps. Thanks for pointing me to time stamp check-box in Preferences

ps2. I just tested FunSMS for T600 which came out recently. It has nice interface, bit too detailed&complicted. I lacks integration with PalmOS so other apps don't recognize it as SMS application. I has major flaw - icoming message doesn't kick proper notification (ring, tune or vibration) - it produce only system message with very silent beep. Unusable, for real everyday situation ?!???
    I agree with kresom. I tried FunSMS 4 for T600 and found it a bit convoluted. Certainly not worth the 25 Euros they're asking. The interface makes navigation a lengthy process. What the T600 needs is some and SMS app with slightly more features (such as sending to multiple users), with the ability to turn off Chat. FunSMS 4's incoming message beep is too low for any practical use.
    Does anyone know of a utility that allows you to create additional folders?
    Someone mentioned "draft" functionality--but I would love to add a "read" folder to keep my inbox slimmed down and not miss any messages.

MaxText looks like a great product, but it is only for GSM phones and I have a Sprint CDMA Treo 600.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TreoTheo; 09/16/2004 at 01:23 AM.
    I find the chat view tremendously useful. The threads are sorted with the latest on top (as many have said they prefer) with the added advantage that you have a history of what has been said (unless you choose to purge it). Best of both worlds, IMO.

So do those who don't like it really prefer to have their messages not organized into folders? Interestingly, TiVo has two views for recorded programs, with and without folders. I personally can't imagine using the non-folder view, but at least they have the other view for those who prefer disorganization
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    The interface makes navigation a lengthy process. What the T600 needs is some and SMS app with slightly more features (such as sending to multiple users),
    You can just put a comma after each name/number/email in the TO list and send a message to multiple recipients. Someone in another thread suggested pasting your common distribution lists into Memo Pad so that you can grab these with minimal effort and send an SMS to a long list of recipients.

HTH
    Sorry Phildro. Those don't work. Treo still just sends to the first contact on your list.
    I have been trying to find a way to send to multiple contacts.

Also the DELETE ALL CHAT MESSAGES is still a dream. You can use Purge to delete all messages, but not the Chat Threads. My last post on this topic was unsolved - unless someone or some software will find the solution.