1.    #1  
    hi !

is this just an impossible dream, or some developer may actually consider writing an app to rip mp3s directly on the treo 600 ( to store them real-time on SD card if possible )...

...i mean, what about connecting a simple audio cable from headphones jack ( available in 99% of hi-fi gear ), to headset jack ( on the treo 600 ), and let the music flow real-time into the app on the treo which in turn rip it to mp3 ( 320kps, PLEASE !!! ) on the SD-card ?

it happens to me much more often to find myself in a situation where music is played on a regular hi-fi chain, rather than through a computer; i would DEFINITELY buy this app...

anybody got alternative solutions to my problem ?
    some apps already out there can do this ?
    ...and i don't mean audacity or soundrec; these would create a file much bigger than needed, let alone it's not an .mp3...

THANK YOU !
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    hi !

...i mean, what about connecting a simple audio cable from headphones jack ( available in 99% of hi-fi gear ), to headset jack ( on the treo 600 ), and let the music flow real-time into the app on the treo which in turn rip it to mp3 ( 320kps, PLEASE !!! ) on the SD-card ?
    Seeing as there is no PC that can do this at the moment, I wouldnt hold your breath. What you are asking may seem trivial but the amount of virtual memory to save a file to MP3 as its being received is enormous. As fas as a I know there is no such app for any platform that can do this.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    i have an MP3 player that does this. it will rip an audio input from any source - say your friend's CD player, into MP3 in real time. I have encoded music from my digital cable TV provider's music stations to listen to them later. it will even encode CD's real time. So, the amount of virtual memory needed is not that great as the mp3 player only has 256 MB and it filles it up all the way to the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by koros
    Uhhh... Isn't this feature built into the latest version of PocketTunes? Let me grab the manual, yes I actually do reference manuals unline the rest of your lazy asses...

Yep, there it is:
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettu...l#InstallAudio
    This is never going to happen with phones for quite some time (if ever.) There simply isn't enough processing power, especially at 320kps!
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    Uhhh... Isn't this feature built into the latest version of PocketTunes? Let me grab the manual, yes I actually do reference manuals unline the rest of your lazy asses...

Yep, there it is:
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/pockettu...l#InstallAudio
    i think they were referring to RIPPING CD's real time onto the treo. not just saving files onto the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunmoon
    This is never going to happen with phones for quite some time (if ever.) There simply isn't enough processing power, especially at 320kps!
    my mp3 player can do it. not at 320kps though. it does a good 128kbps.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    my mp3 player can do it. not at 320kps though. it does a good 128kbps.
    ...oooh, what's your mp3 player brand/model plz ?
    ...just in case nobody comes up with a solution for the treo600, that is...
  10.    #10  
    thx for the link, ROSSONERI; found another 4 portable mp3 players that can rip audio from line-in on the go...

...it doesn't look that much impossible to realize this phantom app after all; any developer out there willing to give a hint of insight ?
  11.    #11  
    GUYS !, just heard the following from a well known developer i've been in contact with since a few months ago; i won't give away his name or contact info, he's already veryvery busybusy as it is, but here's what he wrote to me:

...its possible to rip the MP3 directly to the SD card. It might take some advanced programming because to make an mp3, I have to write a compression and encoding routine. If this runs too slowly, it will prevent the Treo from recording correctly.

I know you are thinking...My treo runs at 144 mhz, isnt that fast enough!?

Well..it SHOULD be...but might not be cuz here is the real architecture of the treo

ARM Processor -> Emulation Layer -> Treo apps

YES...almost ALL Treo 600 apps run under 68k emulation!!!!!! So that fast ARM processor is mainly just sitting there doing emulation of an ancient motorola 68K chip!

SO, there are some special techniques that can be done to write code that runs directly on the arm processor and not through the emulator. Its a bit more work, but can be done. For example, pockettunes is talking directly to the arm chip at times. that is how it can decode in realtime...

...this one started out of a personal fantasy; it's actually becoming a viable project already !!!

LET'S KEEP THE PRESSURE UP, and steal yet another market ( mp3 portable players, that is ) to the wonders of our treo600 !!!
    most people wouldn't think of ripping their CD's with the treo when there are immensely powerful rippers on the PC like EAC Lame that can duplicate a CD exactly. You should know that my mp3 player's battery is drains REALLY REALLY fast while encoding. After 1/2 an hour, the battery is almost empty. The treo is really bad for battery power too. Most people will just be satisfied with listening to mp3's on the treo. ripping cd's sounds cool but i can see how buggy it can get and lead to large scale crashes, resets and loops! lol
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    most people wouldn't think of ripping their CD's with the treo when there are immensely powerful rippers on the PC like EAC Lame that can duplicate a CD exactly. You should know that my mp3 player's battery is drains REALLY REALLY fast while encoding. After 1/2 an hour, the battery is almost empty. The treo is really bad for battery power too. Most people will just be satisfied with listening to mp3's on the treo. ripping cd's sounds cool but i can see how buggy it can get and lead to large scale crashes, resets and loops! lol
    ...well, for as weird as it may look to you, i don't use it as a cellphone very often, so my battery is always full ( or almost ), and it could obviously be a sweet tool when you don't have a PC available.
    wireless enabled or not, the battery will drain within minutes when ripping a CD at even 128kbs. i have a lot of experience with using my mp3 player and that is a DEDICATED mp3 processing tool - with an OS that is MEANT for DSP. if the battery dies that fast on that, imagine how it would on the treo.