Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    Anyone use this software? Good? Bad?

Can someone clarify the following information from their website?

"If you choose always-on mode, on some devices (Treo 600 and I500) you will get an option of staying online with Data or with SMS. If you pick Data, a background data connection will be maintained between your device and the VeriChat servers. If you pick SMS, no data connection is maintained in standby mode (when your device's display is off). Instead, standby mode messages are sent over SMS. "

I'm not sure i understand the process. I only have the cell service and 100 Text messages per month with verizon.

So, i assume i can't use the "background data" with my treo and can only use the sms way of receiving/sending messages.

So, if my phone is in 'standby mode' -screen off, then someone will still see me online and can send me an IM, but it comes through as an SMS?

Is this correct?

Thanks, stevo
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You probably couldn't use VeriChat. No matter which configuration you choose for background operations, you need a data connection to actually chat.
  3.    #3  
    I leave my laptop on at the house with DSL all the time. When i installed the software on the treo, yahoo booted me since it was already running on my laptop.

Are there any solutions for each of the IM services to prevent being logged off? AIM sends me a message that i have a 2nd Login running, but it doesn't seem to log me out.

stevo
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo4
    I leave my laptop on at the house with DSL all the time. When i installed the software on the treo, yahoo booted me since it was already running on my laptop.

Are there any solutions for each of the IM services to prevent being logged off? AIM sends me a message that i have a 2nd Login running, but it doesn't seem to log me out.

stevo
    Only AIM allows you to be logged in from two places simultaneously. With the others, when you login elsewhere, you get disconnected from the desktop. I don't think PDA Apps or for that matter any third-party IM application provider can work around this issue.

That said, I was recently shown a beta of VeriChat 3 by a palmOne employee (who refused to let me have it!) and he claimed that one of the important new features of this version was that it solved the problem of near-simultaneous access to IM from the Treo and the desktop in a very elegant fashion.

Obviously, my email to PDA Apps to be part of this beta program is already sent...
    Still not clear - can I be completely logged out of the data services (but my phone radio is on) and get SMS messages when someone tries to IM me? Otherwise, what's the point of the SMS approach?

I've installed Verichat 2.23, and after I log in to Verichat (it starts the data services), and I disconnect the data services, I don't get SMS messages for people sending me test IMs. Either it's not working for me (AT&T GSM Treo 600) or I'm not doing something right.
    You have to chose the always on (nonSMS) method to stay logged into Verichat's server. You can then physically disconnect from your (provider) data service, but not the Verichat server, so that when an IM comes in, you'll get it as a sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    You have to chose the always on (nonSMS) method to stay logged into Verichat's server. You can then physically disconnect from your (provider) data service, but not the Verichat server, so that when an IM comes in, you'll get it as a sms.
    I've noticed that if I disconnect from dataservices after choosing 'always on - data' that verichat will re-initiate my data service. You may have to select 'always on - SMS' and enter your phone SMS. Verichat will send you a code and then you'll receive the SMS alerts when your data connection is disconnected.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhead
    I've noticed that if I disconnect from dataservices after choosing 'always on - data' that verichat will re-initiate my data service. You may have to select 'always on - SMS' and enter your phone SMS. Verichat will send you a code and then you'll receive the SMS alerts when your data connection is disconnected.

Normally you do that when you first set up Verichat so they know where to send the SMS.
    Ok, I understand how it works now, and I've got it working so that when I'm offline, it'll send me SMS notification of a new IM... but in order to reply I have to go into Verichat and get online to send it. Are there any apps out there that keep an "always on" AOL presence, but handle the exchange of messages entirely via SMS?

I know that AT&T (my carrier) allows you to do the AOL SMS thing directly with them for free, but I don't like it since it doesn't keep each IM reply in the same chat conversation within the SMS app.
    You don't actually have to go into Verichat to reply. You can reply from whatever program you are in. http://www.pdaapps.com/verichat/tour.html
    Like Kurt said - you can do a short reply from where the sms notification comes in rather than going into Verichat and opening up the entire message thread. It will still log your comments there.
    I used VeriChat for the whole trial period and loved it. The only reason why I didn't buy it was that it interferred with the built in EMail application (PalmOne's Mail v. 1.02a in my case, don't think there is something newer).
    Mail got stuck saying only "Connecting to" instead of "Connecting to xxxx" and pressing the stop button caused it to hang at the message "receiving ..." and so on. Only way to 'repair' that was to switch to Verichat and then go to Mail and do 'send/receive'. Which was not a real solution as I prefer the mail setup to get mail automatically every xx minutes.
    Anybody else has/had the same experiences?
    zwalex
    Treo GSM (T-Mobile)
    I'm not having the same problem. What version were you using (of Verichat?)
    Verichat's proxy servers will keep you connected, at least as far as other users are concerned wether your phone is even powered on or not. Once you log into their servers the first time. They keep you logged in until you change that, i.e. log in at a PC.

On a GSM treo, the inbound messages can come in via SMS, which can happen during a phone call. However replies must transmit via a data connection, so you would have to hang up the phone. A little popup will come up with your inbound message and then you can quick reply or jump into Verichat to chat more.

When you softreset, you will see the new verichat will logon right away. This is a new feature and I like it. Verichat is actually a really good piece of software. I use it 10 to 20 times a day. I keep asking if they can send replies via SMS because I could be on the phone too with that. I did buy a program from TreoCentral that does AOL via SMS entirely and it worked OK but I don't think there is a new one for the 600.

Derek
    Guess I was using 2.3 but I obviously deleted the inst.image on my PC after the trial expired. I deleted VeriChat from my Treo and gave it a try to install v2.32 [again?] which didn't work - the PDAaps guys could for whatever reason check that I had installed the software before and I was told that my trial version expired.
    Does anybody with 2.32 have the same problems than I have?
    You might want to email the folks at PDAApps and explain to them your problem. Say that you heard the new version may fix it and want to give it a try. They are good guys/gals and may help you out.
    I contacted PDAapps and they are aware that there is an open issue (obviously with the latest version). Quote from their email response:
    "We are aware of this issue. One workaround you can use is to use SMS to stay always on, instead of data.
    We are working on a fix. Would you care to try a special build of a new VeriChat version that probably fixes this issue?"
    Of course I said yes and now I'm waiting for them to come back to me how to get the special build. I can keep you guys posted if you are interested.
    Kurt, just curious - do tou have a CDMA or GSM Treo 600? If it's GSM, what phone operator?
    Thanks and Cheers,
    alex
    Quote Originally Posted by Hark
    Ok, I understand how it works now, and I've got it working so that when I'm offline, it'll send me SMS notification of a new IM... but in order to reply I have to go into Verichat and get online to send it. Are there any apps out there that keep an "always on" AOL presence, but handle the exchange of messages entirely via SMS?
    i 2nd this request. the SMS application that comes with the t600 is pretty good. i tried verichat but didn't like the way it kept me logged in to sprints data service (kills batteries).
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggersplat
    i 2nd this request. the SMS application that comes with the t600 is pretty good. i tried verichat but didn't like the way it kept me logged in to sprints data service (kills batteries).
    Same here, I use Verichat for Yahoo but the constant data connection really kills my battery life (at least 50% shorter).
    With verichat, make sure you set it to use SMS to keep you available during "always on." It helps significantly with battery life.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast