Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I post this earlier. Some how, it's erased. Hope it was just a glitch

To see Treo 600 radiation effect yourself
    - Sit next to PC & monitor with both on (I have Dell/Trinitron)
    - Hold your Treo next to monitor within 0.5 inch (I hold on right side)
    - Make call without moving Treo
    - Your screen is now showing the radiation interference

Do the same with GPRS connect. The effect is much worse.

No censor please. Public health info only.
    I just tried it and didn't see any effect. Are you sure that you are not seeing interference from the magnet in the speaker on the phone? If your monitor is not shielded well, it can be affected by this.

Tom
    Last edited by sce2aux; 08/18/2004 at 01:54 PM. Reason: enter too soon
    I keep my phone next to my monitor everyday while I'm home. I get a lot of SMS, every time I'm about to get a message (1-2 seconds before approx.) I get interference with my computer monitor. This is just about every time I get an SMS; I believe it does this when I receive a call also. Just some added information I have also experienced.
    Cell Phone History: Sanyo 6200, Sanyo 4900, Sanyo 5300, Treo 600 and now the Treo 650.
    but it is electromagnetic. I beleive what you are seeing is the magnet from the speaker/speakerphone distorting the electrons. You can do this with any magnet and a CRT monitor. The bigger the monitor, the more noticable the effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiuc

My screen showed no interference, and I have a CDMA phone which is known for higher levels.

How does this relate to radiation? Interference if it existed doesn't mean it's from radiation.

Your previous post wasn't censored. The board experienced a loss of posts across the board when it went down. See also the front page of this site.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I have an AT&T phone and it interferes with headsets here at work all the time. I've been told it's RF interference when the phone is talking to the tower...it happens.
    This isn't as bad as the Nextel phones. Those things make any speaker in the surrounding 5 ft of the phone go nuts whenever they are talking to the tower.

I have seen those toys that blink whenever a cell phone near by is on. They seem to work with GSM phones but ignore the signals from CDMA. It must be the freq range though. I doub't they understand the air interface
  8.    #8  
    When I test it, speaker is off.

I'm on GSM with ATT
    The Nextel phones are scary! Hold that next to a monitor the next time you use the walkie-talkie feature and then you'll love your Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by chiuc

The whole cell phone radiation buzz is BS and I'm surprised it's still going around. There has not been 1 incident of any health related problems associated with cell phone usage. The actual waves that are emitted from cell phone antennas are too wide to strip an electron off an atom (which would cause cancer).

Your "study" has to do with magnets (not radiation). I could create a similar study and throw my treo in the toilet and possibly watch is spark and blow smoke... but does that mean it's causing my brain to smoke and spark when I'm on a phone call as well?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I posted this same thing in another thread (forgot which one) but I think what you're experiencing only happens with GSM phones due to their "pulsing" nature. CDMA phones don't do this.
    Same thing happnes if yout put a GSM phone near a speaker. Tons of interference. But that won't happen with a CDMA phone.

Also, for whoever mentioned that CDMA phones are "known for higher radiation" levels, do you have any proof of this? SARS levels notwithstanding, CDMA phones emit only a fraction of the wattage that GSM phones do.
    I seem to remember a list composed of radiation output by various phones. I don't remember if it was an official website or not, but I seemed to believe it at the time. The Treo's were at the top of the list in terms of radiation compared to other phones, and the CDMA version was little bit above the GSM.

This is all from my sketchy memory. Try searching for it although this was before the (big) TC crash.
    All phones,or any radio, create an electromagnetic field when transmitting. As for health effects? Well the Earth itself has an electromagnetic field.
    I noticed this myself a while back but took preventative measures. I now wrap myself in tinfoil whenever I use my Treo. I know it sounds a bit kooky, but it really works! I've found that Reynold's wrap seems to work the best. YMMV.

Lactoso the intolerant
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    The only thing I have noticed is occasional noise coming from my PC speakers but I also notce this when my WiFi card is searching for an access point. It seems to quite down after connecting.
    GuitarLP is absolutely right. There's a difference between ionizing radiation and EM (non-ionizing) radiation. Read about it at:

http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q79.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I posted this same thing in another thread (forgot which one) but I think what you're experiencing only happens with GSM phones due to their "pulsing" nature. CDMA phones don't do this.
    Same thing happnes if yout put a GSM phone near a speaker. Tons of interference. But that won't happen with a CDMA phone.

Also, for whoever mentioned that CDMA phones are "known for higher radiation" levels, do you have any proof of this? SARS levels notwithstanding, CDMA phones emit only a fraction of the wattage that GSM phones do.
    I was going by the SARS levels -And they are slightly higher than GSM -after the "bump" was supposedly added, aren't they? Aren't Specific Absorbtion Rates what really matter? From your explanation tho it makes sense that a GSM phone would experience interference more than a CDMA handset.
    It's no secret that the Treo (and all cell phones) emit (radiate) EM waves. That's how they work. The fact that you see the effect of these waves is only shocking because they are normally invisible. Over the years, there have been many proposed health concerns related to cell phone us, but, as was previously stated, there has yet to be any conclusive evidence of any appreciable health concern... (translates to) people are paranoid about it, but being pararnoid doesn't make it dangerous.

There have been numerous studies to try to prove that there are detrimental health effects relating to cell phone, but none have produced any evidence as such.

Along the same lines, many gas stations have sitckers on the pumps warning you never to use a cell phone near the pump for fear that the RF radiation from the phone could cause an explosion if there were gas fumes in the air. This is complete bunk, just more paranoia. There was an article in IEEE Spectrum about this a few months back. Many RF engineers are trying to get these stickers taken off because they have no basis in fact and stemmed from paranoid rumors. (I would personally be more concerned about the series of sparks and small explosions going on in my engine everytime I start my car at the gas station).

In summary, there's no evidence of health hazards.
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lactoso
    I noticed this myself a while back but took preventative measures. I now wrap myself in tinfoil whenever I use my Treo. I know it sounds a bit kooky, but it really works! I've found that Reynold's wrap seems to work the best. YMMV.

Lactoso the intolerant

Thanks Lactoso, I was using wax paper and it didn't help at all!

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo
    I was using wax paper and it didn't help at all!
    That helps with the space rays, though. For maximum protection, you should be using undergarments made out of wax paper with an outter layer of tin foil.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast