Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I have no problem establishing a connection using Wireless Modem with my Mac powerbook (OS 10.3.4). But the connection only LASTS for approximately 2-5 minutes, after which I am suddenly no longer connected. And when I click on “Disconnect”, I am unable to actually disconnect (the mac just stays on “Disconnecting” even though it is not really still connected), and I have to reboot to get another 2-5 minutes before the same thing happens.

I followed all instructions that have been posted. Anyone have this problem and/or aware of any solution? Thanks!
    This is a known bug in the USB chip on the Treo. The Treo 600 cannot maintain a shared network connection through USB to Mac. I have never gotten wireless modem to work for more than 5 minutes myself.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I have the same problem with my Treo and Mac. It's a shame that the author has a no refund policy. I am deeply irritated by this.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I have had no problems with WirelessModem Version 1.0.3 and with either WM installed on the Treo or using the Treo in tethered mode. I have had connections from as little as 2 mins to 45 mins that connected and stayed connected. I have a TI G4 PB running 10.3.5 and the Verizon version of the Treo 600 but the same was true with my Sprint Treo 600 which I converted to Verizon service.

However, when I tried WM Version 1.1.2 my Treo fails to register as a device so I cannot even establish a connection to start with. The author is aware of this problem and I believe he is taking steps to try to fix it. I don't know of any USB problems on the Treo 600 but I am pretty sure my problem is caused by the recent OSX upgrade to 10.3.5 which caused WM 1.1.2 to fail.

Frank
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Now that I'm back from travelling, I can report that it was quite variable. Sometimes it would only maintain the connection for 3-4 minutes. Later in my trip (no change in location), it seemed to more reliably maintain a connection for the 20 minutes or so I'd use it.

Haven't yet upgraded from 10.3.4 to 10.3.5. Perhaps I will hold off <g>....
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Yes, it well might be location and time dependent as a lot of stuff with VZW seems to be. I am going away next week and will have to use qnc as there is no 1X service so it will be interesting to see how I make out.

Frank
    I have experienced the same "failure to maintain a connection" with wirelessmodem on my Treo 600 as many of you. Unfortunatly I didn't discover the problem until after I purchased the software from Notify.com who seems to provide no support. It seems like the Treo stops receiving bytes after the byte count reaches about 65,000 bytes rather than being time related as some of you have suggested. Has anyone discovered a fix for this other than buying serial cables and usb/serial converters. That wil cost more than the software.

Mike
    ya know, I am no expert on this, but....I used Verizon with my last phone (which I still have, but don't use) I used a Gomadic cable attached to my palm PDA. I noticed, if I was reading, and not actually surfing, the connection cut out eventually. Make sure in your prefs, you don't have it set to disconnect due to inactivity, after a short time. My assumption is that NONE of you, who are obviously savvy enough to be posting here haven't tried that, but it sure solved the issue on my standard Verizon phone. (a motorola, attached via gomadic cable, to a Garmin Ique 3600). I use the Treo 600 now, with sprint, so don't have those issues anymore of course, and gave away the gomadic cable to a friend.
    How can this be a bug on the treo. I have used pdanet on windows and have stayed connected for more than 8 hours transfering well over 100 meg of data. On the mac however I can't stay connected for more than 5 minutes like the rest of you . I have to beleive it's wireless modem that is the problem. Also I do have inactivity timeout turned off.
    My first Treo 600 had the USB-hang bug (it even hung transferring data via HotSync once), my second didn't - I could stay connected for hours - but I had to return it b/c of the Network Search problem, and my 3rd once again has the bug, even though it was brand-new and not in the Network Search ESN range :-( Hopefully I'll be able to move to the 650 soon.

Thanks,
    Peter
    I am struggling to get Wireless modem to work with my 10.4.1 Powerbook. Anybody know if the software supports this version?