View Poll Results: Which "Push" e-mail solution is better?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chatter

28 58.33%
  • Snappermail/Treohelper

15 31.25%
  • Other

5 10.42%
  1.    #1  
    I've been playing around with the push mail solutions that have been posted in various places on these boards, and am conflicted as to what is the best solution (I'm a Sprint user, by the way; and my work e-mail has no IMAP capability). The two that seem to be common are:

1. Chatter: Forward work e-mails to an IMAP-compatible account (such as fastmail), and then use Chatter to receive your e-mail messages.
    - Pros: quick replies, don't have to get out of other apps
    - Cons: not a full-fledged e-mail program (no attachment support), can't delete message from server once if I reply from Chatter

2. Snappermail/Treohelper: Forward e-mails to my sprintpcs.com e-mail account, which sends a SMS notification. Treohelper can then trigger Snappermail to open and fetch your e-mails virtually instantaneously.
    - Pros: You can work with attachments, junk the messages off the server once dealt with (basically it's a more robust program)
    - Cons: doesn't work in the background

I'm particularly curious to hear from folks that have tried both solutions. Also, does anyone have info as to which is more of a battery drain? Thanks!
    I don't know what you mean about "can't delete message from server..." That doesn't sound right. And attachments are coming by next month.

Chatter is the ONLY email solution that provides TRUE push without a corporate server or desktop redirector. Another big plus is that it works asynchronously - no waiting for message moves, or smtp sending, or loading to happen - just keep on working.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Chatter is the ONLY email solution that provides TRUE push without a corporate server or desktop redirector. Another big plus is that it works asynchronously - no waiting for message moves, or smtp sending, or loading to happen - just keep on working.

Marc
    I agree. Now beta please.

You said beta on Monday does that mean at 12:01AM EST we can download?

Snapper beta has expired, and I waiting for Chatter Mail.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Chatter is by far the better option. It works well and does not interfere with any other programs. I do have Treo Helper installed; however, in my situation, I use it for capturing specific SMS messages - such as "lock" and "Lock" to lock the Treo 600 if I should loose it. Chatter moves email around the IMAP server very well. As a note, I also use SnapperMail due to its ability to handle attachments (which Marc has stated will be added to Chatter). To ease battery life, I also maintain sync with only the Inbox and move email around as needed. If I expect a lot of use during the day, I disable the IM function. Ben
    IMHO Chatter is clearly the best email program out there. With the new features that Marc is adding in the latest version, I don't see why anyone will use Snapper. Included IM is a huge plus as well. One of the big reasons why I am recommending Treo to folks in my company
    desitreo, a major drawback -- for some of us -- is that Chatter does not support POP accounts and doesn't handle attachments as far as I understand. If it did, I agree the features would make it better than Snapper. Maybe this new version will do that.
    Attachments are coming in September. POP3 is just not a good option for mobile users; I shudder in horror when I think about supporting it.

Marc
  8.    #8  
    I don't know what you mean about "can't delete message from server..." That doesn't sound right. And attachments are coming by next month.
    My work e-mail is on a POP server, unfortunately. If I answer a quick e-mail using Snapper, I can hit the "j" button and delete it from my mail server, saving me from having to deal with the message again when I'm at my desktop later. With Chatter, I can answer messages much more quickly, without leaving other apps, but I then have to delete the message from Outlook later.

Not that this is a deal-breaker, by any means... I'm just attempting to sort out the pros/cons of each approach.
    Do I use POP, yes. Do I like it NO.

I want a single message store that I can manage from different Clients (MUAs). I hate having to manage mail on my phone and also on my desktop. I want my different email clients to be a "window" into my store of messages.
    bujin - Why do you have to delete messages with Outlook later?? Chatter handles this, whether sync'ing or not??

Marc
  11.    #11  
    bujin - Why do you have to delete messages with Outlook later?? Chatter handles this, whether sync'ing or not??

Marc
    Really? I'd love to know how - that would be very cool. The way I envision it, if I have my e-mail forwarded from my work e-mail to a fastmail account, which is then pushed to Chatter, then when Chatter deletes e-mails, it would only delete messages off the fastmail account, no? (I have to say, I have not looked at any depth into the documentation that went with the Chatter beta.)

Also, let me ask a dumb question: Chatter Email overwrites the old ChatterIM, but doesn't seem to include IM capability. Am I missing something, or is IM being lost with this update?
    OH... No of course, Chatter doesn't go back to your server - I must have misunderstood.

IM is there; do you have an account? (If you had one when you loaded Chatter Email, IM would have been available...)

Marc
  13.    #13  
    yep, I have one when I load my 'old' Chatter; however, when I installed the Chatter Email over it, I had some serious restart problems. I ended up uninstalling Chatter and installing Chatter Email from scratch.

I'll try again....thanks!
    Last edited by Bujin; 08/16/2004 at 09:39 PM.
    Poor man's option for those of us with Verizon ($25 for 5 mb/$45 for unlimited!!!) is to set up a rule or filter on your computer to send you an SMS message when certain emails come in. Has the added advantage of limiting mail to the important stuff.
    IM is there; do you have an account? (If you had one when you loaded Chatter Email, IM would have been available...)

Marc
    IM is not there for me. Are you providing accounts yet?
  16.    #16  
    Based on feedback from this poll, I've been using Chatter Email for several days now. I'm really pleased with it so far. I can't wait for attachment support; I can live with the fact that I need to delete messages from Outlook, in order to gain the benefits of one IM/e-mail program and to avoid Snappermail's recurring problem with hanging up when trying to connect with Sprint.

Great program, Marc!
    Attachments are coming in September. POP3 is just not a good option for mobile users; I shudder in horror when I think about supporting it.

Marc

POP3 may not be a good option for mobile users (although it's worked great for me on my Treo 270 and Treo 600), but do I really want an 8th email account just so my other email can be forwarded to it for IMAP? None of the email I currently have for work or home supports IMAP.
    I'm stunned by how fast Chatter is in picking up my email. I use Outlook 2003 which essentially polls the Exchange server every minute or so. 95% of the time, my phone receives new mail before Outlook does. One of these days I'm going to go head to head with our single blackberry user and see who gets email faster. heh.