Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

Heavy night on the beer on Friday night & I woke up Saturday, ahem, afternoon Treoless!

Concluded I left it in the taxi, or rather it popped off the clip that's supposed to be stuck on my nice Krusell case. So a word of warning about those cases, they're certainly a good case but also like to pop off the clip when you sit in a car seat. Just found the clip still on my jeans, bu hu!!

Now a little background, I got my treo in early January, I live in Ireland so I had to buy it on Ebay, when I received it it was AT & T locked, so I had to unlock it as well. Had to pay almost Euro100 customs as well, which I didn't mind it was the fact that customs held it for 8 work days before sending me a note stating duty was owed, that all meant I didn't have it for Christmas as intended. but none of that mattered when I got the phone, it was excellent.

I tell ya I'm very depressed having lost it, it had loads of new pictures that I hadn't sync'd yet, both my personal email & work email on it, loads of previous messages & passwords saved, argh, I've just changed the passwords on both.

Further I've barred my IMEI off the Irish networks.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether networks would allow you to bar your IMEI globally?
    Here in Ireland it was only recently organised that the 3 main Irish cell carriers co-ordinated with other and work from the same database of lost & stolen phones.

I was also wondering if it was possible or if anyone has tried to get the network to tell you who was using your phone by tracing it via the IMEI?

Obviously this is technically possible but I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to get it done?

I'm going to try tomorrow. Oh ye to just put icing on the cake I tried twice to insure my phone and the network wouldn't do it, as it wasn't one they sell themselves, ah well the cost of living on the edge of technology.

I really just wanted to raise these few questions and warn everyone before they loose their phone & end up not giving this situation a thought until it happens, my own fault of course but that's no compensations.

All The Best

Tim
    bummer.

Some advice for the future (because there will be many more nights of drinking, my Irish friend :-) )

- krussel cases are prone to that is why I went the Covertec route.

invest in two programs:

- the one that allows you to send an SMS msg and it hard resets the phone. Protect that data.

- the one that password protects the device, and after 3 bad login attempts, it hard resets.

This way, you will sleep a bit better at night. Devices can be replaced, but the data is the key thing. I have so much info on mine, I would kick myself for years if I lost it.
    that's too bad. i use a backup nokia 3590 as a weekend/out and about phone. treo is strictly for business days. i would never take my treo out to a party, to a BBQ etc. it's not just the unit - but all the data which is priceless!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    bummer.

- the one that allows you to send an SMS msg and it hard resets the phone. Protect that data.

- the one that password protects the device, and after 3 bad login attempts, it hard resets.
    what softwares are those?
  5.    #5  
  6.    #6  
    Some excellent advice guys thanks. When I replace it (ouch!) I'll setup that hard reset thing & yes I think I can leave my treo in one of it's cradles either at home or work when I go out. I already have a few others that I could easily use for the more "casual" outings! Might as well use on my company blackberries tomorrow until I get set up again. The 7230's aren't bad at all.

T
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Its too bad the mmode from ATT doesnt work on the tre600 (dont know if you have att or not). They have this option "find a friend" and you can punch in the friend name and it will locate that person (give or take about 100yards or so) but still not bad. At lease then you maybe have a chance of finding it

sorry to hear it though

rob
    do you think the finder will return it? i thought it would be kinda useless for the finder without the cables etc but then again, a cradle is easily available and so are all the software.
    mSafe from MotionApps is one that allows you to send an SMS message to lock the device or wipe everything out including what's on your SD card if you have one. There are a few others similar.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    MSafe as a pay solution for SMS; if you want a free solution that works just as well, take a gander at TreoHelper. I tried both and stuck with TreoHelper. As for security, I use TealLock. I tried all of the available security programs and purchased two - OnlyMe and Teal Lock. All of the security programs (except Teal Lock) had one similar problem. That problem - the screen would turn on/off multiple times throughout the day. Teal Lock has yet to misbehave.

OnlyMe, TealLock and PDA Defense are all excellent programs and offer tremendous protection. PDA Defense is probably the heavy duty one, but again, it suffered the on/off syndrome.

Ben
    I think the two products were pda defense and msafe.
  12.    #12  
    Hopefully it gets returned but it wasn't a good sign that it was powered off when I tried to ring it, also difficult for the guy to find me, although if he looks in the contacts there is a home entry & the power on screen has my name on it, good luck trying to remove that

I was taking some comfort in barring it & knowing that a power supply for it wouldn't be locally available in Ireland at all, it might encourage him/het to return it, I have to admit I wouldn't mind paying a reward as opposed to a replacement cost.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    MSafe as a pay solution for SMS; if you want a free solution that works just as well, take a gander at TreoHelper. I tried both and stuck with TreoHelper. As for security, I use TealLock. I tried all of the available security programs and purchased two - OnlyMe and Teal Lock. All of the security programs (except Teal Lock) had one similar problem. That problem - the screen would turn on/off multiple times throughout the day. Teal Lock has yet to misbehave.

OnlyMe, TealLock and PDA Defense are all excellent programs and offer tremendous protection. PDA Defense is probably the heavy duty one, but again, it suffered the on/off syndrome.

Ben
    i was looking for treohelper but i couldn't find one for the 600. only for the 300. can u link us up?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    i was looking for treohelper but i couldn't find one for the 600. only for the 300. can u link us up?
    You can find TreoHelper at:

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/
    timber. sorry to hear of your loss. Hope it will be returned. This reminds me I should tie a leash to my belt clip case with a carabiner and clip it to a belt loop. It will prevent losing the case with Treo. This almost happened to me when I was in Home Depot loading a few 2 x 4's onto a cart when someone told me I dropped something. It was my case with Treo in it. If I was not alerted I could have walked away and kissed it bye bye. Which reminds me I should buy insurance also. Who else has no insurance on their Treo?
    another case that tends to fall out of the clip is the innopocket metal case. it's clip system is notorious for drops. avoid the clip at all costs. the case itself is a work of art
    for anyone who orders this case, the moment you open the package, take the clip and throw it into the recycle bin.
    Sorry about your loss.

IMO mSafe is worth the cost over TreoHelper. It can actually erase the device and card from SMS and send you back an SMS to confirm it worked. TreoHelper can only lock the device. I do love TreoHelper though because it can launch a SnapperMail fetch from SMS.

A few weeks ago I left my Treo in my car by accident as I picked up my mail (apartment). I realized it when I got to the mailbox and actually got excited that someone might steal it so I could SMS it.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    A few weeks ago I left my Treo in my car by accident as I picked up my mail (apartment). I realized it when I got to the mailbox and actually got excited that someone might steal it so I could SMS it.
    er yah right.
    Wow!
    The same thing happened to a member in here a few months ago..he left his phone in a taxi cab after a night of partying and returning home drunk.
    However, his phone was replaced by his service provider as he was paying insurance on it...as a matter of fact I think the name of the thread was in that area: Insurance for your Treo or something of that nature.

I'm very sorry for your lost
    After having my own inccident after a night of way too many tequila shots and a high speed moving vehicle, I decided to switch my sim in my old Sony Ericsson T68i when i go clubbing.

Plus I too had to buy a replacement as the Treo600 is not even available where I live.
    I know exactly how you feel.
    msafe: it's a weird package. Not sure if it is working for me.
    I send my self the msafe lock code but i never receive the SMS. I sent three SMS's with the lock code but my phone doesn't receive it. However, all other SMS msgs are received with no flaws. ANY SMS msg where i try to lock the treo using msafe don't show up at all.
    and it doesn't lock. what gives?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast