1.    #1  
    How do shareware trial programs know they've been on your palm for a certain amount of days? Sometimes, I download a trial program, open it once, then forget about it for a month, then when I come back to it to test it out, it's already expired. If I download a new one. it won't let me use the trial anymore. Is there anyway around this? I'm assuming the shareware program probably leaves a small file on your palm forever saying you've been through the trial, which blocks you from using any further. Is there anyway to remove this file? without hardsettting?
    I have ran into this type of program protection but I can usually re-install with no problem.

Do you delete the trial program, sync and then re-install the program again and sync?
    You have a legitimate point about forgetting about an application once the clock starts ticking. I've done this myself. However, now you know, you know how to avoid it happening again.

The thing is, while there are legit reasons for wanting to reset the clock, information like this could be used by those who don't wish to pay for software, to make it so that they don't have to. This is especially true for programs with long trial periods. I'm sure app developers would not be happy with this kind of information being bandied about.
    Usually the app leaves behind a pref file, which can be deleted with a program like FileZ. The only reason I offer this info is because there are legit reasons why someone would want to extend the trial date, I've run into situations where I try a program, decide I don't like it, erase it and when a new updated version program comes along I try the trialware again and the pref file says I can't use the newly released software because the trial has expired, even tho I never got to try the new version. Basically I trust that people will support shareware because it's the right thing to do, if you don't pay your dues then shame on you
    garinballbarin
    This happened to me with a program. I explained what happened to the developer (tried an older version months ago, wanted to try the upgrade with the new features) and he graciously sent a new file.
    This has happened to me more than a couple times. What I've done is use Backupman to make a backup image of my phone with applications that I have registered and use enough to keep them always on the phone. When I find a new program I want to keep, I make a new image.
    When I want to try out a new version of a program or for some other reason I just hard reset the phone to get rid of all the stuff the software might have left behind, then restore from my image.
    Then I can try out the software and it has no idea it's been on the phone before.
    If I decide I still don't like the software, I can just hard reset and restore. This helps save RAM for stuff I'm using and not for files left behind by software that's no longer on the phone. I have run into files that FileZ hasn't let me delete.
  7.    #7  
    jeez that's lot of hard resetting... having 3000 + contacts, restoring takes forever...
    Sometimes you can change the date on your Treo and get trial software to work. This commonly is enough to give the program a try.
    I've never had a restore take longer than 5 minutes and most usually take less than 2