Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi!

I bought a Treo 300 on ebay, and while the seller said "everything works perfectly", the truth is the phone has a security code on it so I can't use the wireless (phone) feature. I called Sprint's customer service and they told me a Sprint store would be able to unlock the phone for me using a software program.

I took it to my local store and they claim they no longer have the software necessary. That seems pretty stupid to me, but what do I know?

Anyway, I currently have a Treo 300 that works great as a PDA but I can't use it as a phone. There are WAY too many possible combinations for this 4 digit code for me to simply try them all until I get it. Any suggestions for removing the security code?

Thanks!
    0000 1234 maybe?
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  3.    #3  
    None of the obvious combos worked: 0000 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 6666 7777 8888 9999 1234 5678.
    I even tried 2580 (straight down the middle).
    Do a hard reset
  5.    #5  
    I hadn't bothered with a hard reset because according to the user guide, it wouldn't help:

"If Wireless Mode Lock is on, you can use the handheld mode features of your phone, but you must contact Sprint to unlock wireless mode."

I just did it anyway, and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by TreoJen; 08/14/2004 at 05:12 PM. Reason: part of the message was dropped when I submitted the first time.
    a serciuty code is set by the user adleast it was n my old okia have you tryed contacting the seller
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoJen
    I hadn't bothered with a hard reset because according to the user guide, it wouldn't help:

"If Wireless Mode Lock is on, you can use the handheld mode features of your phone, but you must contact Sprint to unlock wireless mode."

I just did it anyway, and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    You sure it was a hard reset, it asked you to verify with pressing the up key? ALL your data should now be missing in the PDA portion.
    Is this what you saw?
    I had a Treo300 a long time back and I thought a hard reset would restore everything to the OE settings. In other words, erase all the phone stuff too. The phone will need to be reprovisioned as well.
    So did you hold the up key, incert the pin in the back of the 300, press the reset button and release, all the while holding the up key, then release it, and it asks a yes or no question for you to comfirm, IF so, contact the seller and it may be his last 4 numbers of the cell number that was on the Treo300.
    Or try a BATTERY DISCONNET/RESET

From Pa1m One....
    How do I perform a battery disconnect reset?
    A battery disconnect reset is a last resort step you can take to quickly drain the battery, wipe all data, and regress your Treo 600 to its factory-fresh state.

Very, extremely, profoundly important info: Do not perform a battery disconnect reset unless you have tried every other option available. A factory reset will not only delete all personal data and appliactions from your Treo 600, but it will also reset the wireless radio and disconnect the internal battery. You won't be able to turn your Treo 600 back on until you connect it to the AC charger and an electrical outlet, so do not perform this type of reset if you're far from the power grid.

How to do it

Hold down the K and Backspace keys simultaneously. (Note: for French AZERTY keyboard, press K and M; for other language overlays, please refer to the customer support for your region)

While continuing to hold down K and Backspace, perform a soft reset.

Finding it hard to do? Good. We made this type of reset very awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident when your Treo 600 is jostling around in a pocket or bag. Sorry for the inconvenience. You might want to enlist the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult.

Continue holding down K and Backspace. The screen will flash white briefly, and then go black. Release K and Backspace after this happens.

To revive your Treo 600, connect it to the AC charger and plug the charger into a socket. The screen will stay blank for several seconds (as long as half a minute), then it will turn on. The LED will glow solid red, indicating charging.
    Burkhardi, TreoJen has a Treo 300 and your suggestion is for the Treo 600. Isn't the Treo 300 process is the Radio Reset software? Did I read this right?
  10.    #10  
    Hi, I appreciate the help so much. Yes, I'm sure it was a hard reset. The first time I tried it, it was the soft one. I looked in the user guide and the instructions are as you described, with the up button and it asked me the question and all that. And yes, ALL my data is gone. It's clean clean clean. But wireless mode is still locked, as the user guide said it would be.

Ronbo2000, you're right, I have a Treo300, not 600. I didn't understand this line: "Isn't the Treo 300 process is the Radio Reset software? Did I read this right?"

Thanks again!
    Jen

p.s. I bought this from a reseller, he doesn't have the code. I find it hard to believe that Sprint doesn't have the ESN in their database and can't just find out who the previous owner was and try the last 4 digits of that person's phone number. They wouldn't even have to tell me what it was... just clear the freaking code and let me be on my way. NOW I understand why Sprint has such a bad rap for support. Bleh. OK, sorry about that. Thanks again for your suggestions. Please keep them coming. Also, I'm willing to try the battery thing, but only if it's "supposed" to work for the 300. I've read elsewhere on this forum that a lot of people have display problems after opening the 300 up to replace the battery. I'm tech savvy, but I don't have a surgeon's hand. I don't want to take any more risks than I need to.
  11.    #11  
    BTW, I just searched palmone support for the radio reset utility and it says it does NOT work with the treo 300. So whatever it is, it looks like it won't help me. FYI.
    battery reset and radio reset utility won't work? have you tried disconnecting the battery manually? it just might work. be careful when opening up the phone.
    I have had very good luck with Sprint with support (other then when in China). Have you tried to call again ,or other numbers? Who is this reseller? It sounds fishy. If it was just a person, then he should know where he got it, unless he stole it. If it's a treu company, have them get you one that does work. What firmware is it running? I guess you can't tell w/o ulocking the radio. What a pain in the arse, I am really supprised that a hard reset doesn't wipe it out, but then I now remember that one of the beefs with the 300 was the PDA and radio portion were not intergrated verywell.

Try what merli022 said, what do you have to loose, it doen't work anyway...

HOW FUSTERATING!
    Goodluck
  14.    #14  
    I was going to try disconnecting the battery manually, but I don't have a screwdriver small enough, so I'll have to go buy one.

Re it being stolen, I would think Sprint would know that when they plugged the ESN into their computer... The guy I bought this from is an ebay power seller -- he sells bunches of different electronics. He said he would refund my money if I sent the thing back since the wireless doesn't work.

I'll get a small screwdriver today and try taking the thing apart. It if doesn't work, I'll return it tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!
    Jen
    If your intent is to return it anyway, rather than taking a chance to lose voiding your warrantee, just exhange or return the phone.
    What the problem is here is that it's not a secruty code, but the MSL code. This is specific to the phone and only can be unlocked by Sprint. If that store cannot unlock it go to a different store.

Hope this helps.
  17.    #17  
    what's an MSL code?
    It's the code that tells Sprint, VZW, or any other CDMA provider what phone yours is and what provider it should be on. Sprint can easily unlock this, and if they said they cannot then come back later and ask again. Also try calling sprint and specifically saying that your phone was bought used and that you would like to reprogram it to use on your account (you do have a sprint account right? you're gonna need an account from a CDMA provider, since you're in NYC I'd suggest VZW, they're the best there.). Get up to a higher level tech and say that you bought a used phone, give them the phone model and ESN and they should be able to give you instructions on how to reprogram it. This might end up being a little above your skill level, but you can definetly ask the local sprint techs for help. They should know what they're doing.

Good luck!
    TreoJen.

So what happens now? Did you get your Treo300 to work? Or if you've found a way to make it work outside the Sprint network?
    If you want your MSL, first buy a serial cable. The USB cable won't work. Here's step by step how to read your MSL.

Connect your serial cable to your computer and phone
    Turn off Hotsych Manager
    Dial ##3424 to enable passthrough mode
    start Bitpim
    under "Edit" choose settings
    You've got to pick the Comm Port your cable and phone are
    hooked to
    Pick LG-VX7000 (that's the phone that worked for me, anyway)
    Under "Data" pick "Get phone data"
    Go to "filesystem"
    Click the "+"
    Click the "+" next to "NVM"
    There's another "+" next to another "NVM", click it
    Double click "nvm_0002"
    on the right of the screen you'll see a bunch of periods,
    numbers and words
    find a sequence of digits where you have six digits,
    then a period, then six more digits
    like this "xxxxxx.xxxxxx"
    the six digits after the period is your MSL